best .22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

1952Sniper
    (8/23/02 9:05:18 am)
    Reply best .22?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't have a .22 rifle, but I want one. A friend of mine has a Winchester lever-action, some kind of Boy Scout commemorative edition. It is very accurate and shoots like a dream! Heck, I don't even need hearing protection to shoot it. It's so fun to plink with that now I want one.

I'm wondering what you folks think the best .22 rifle is, considering cost vs. quality.
    Es ist nicht leicht ein Gott zu sein...

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/23/02 10:29:08 am)
    Reply Re: best .22?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Man is that a wide open question. Bolt, Lever, Semi-Auto, pump, single shot/actions. LTS

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/23/02 10:33:48 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: best .22?
    If ya like IT......buy IT!
    You won't be sorry then....
    Charlie D

boomatic
    (8/23/02 11:31:06 am)
    Wow...gotta agree with Charlie...if you like it buy it. I couldn't pick a favorite...might narrow it down to 10 or so, though.

I have a remington speedmaster (550) that I love...will eat anything. I have a Browning lever action that is a joy to shoot. I have a Browning takedown that I got 25 years ago...still going strong. And probably much to Doc's chagrin I have a green Rem. Nylon 66 that has taken more abuse than the Enron books and never failed.

Just depends on what you like and what you want it for. The cool thing is most of 'em are cheap...buy lots of 'em!!!!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

1952Sniper
    (8/23/02 11:33:56 am)
    Cheap? I haven't been able to find one even in local pawn shops for less than $200. To me, cheap is $75 or lower.

I think I prefer lever action for a .22 - John Wayne style, ya know....
    Es ist nicht leicht ein Gott zu sein...

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/23/02 11:51:32 am)
    $75.00 class, Romanian Trainers are hard to beat and less than $75.00. Darn accurate and built like a tank, bout $50.00. 5 shot bolt action, with a 22" barrel. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/23/02 5:03:08 pm)
    ezSupporter
    I got my Romanina trainer for $49.00

I lurk on the AA and GB auctions and pick up Stevens .22's for $50 and lower. I have had real good luck doing that.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/23/02 5:35:10 pm)
    Ruger 10-22... you can trick them out quite nice
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/23/02 6:30:08 pm)
    If you want the absolute best in a .22 lever action.....Marlin 39A. Not cheap though.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/23/02 7:45:02 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Xracer is right on the Marlin. The Browning BLR ain't no slouch either but does not have the history of the Marlin 39 which is the longest produced gun model made.

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/23/02 8:34:15 pm)
    I've had a Marlin Golden 39A for 20 years now. Love the gun, great trigger, tackdriver with most any ammo.

The 10/22 I picked up this year ain't no slouch, either, but the Marlin is always my first choice if I REALLY want/need to hit something.

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/26/02 10:55:30 am)
    10/22. Only gun I own that I've never had a malfunction, misfire or any other problem with, despite constant abuse.

As a dreamer of dreams and a travelling man, I have chalked up many a mile; read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles.
    -J. Buffett
    {Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen}

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/26/02 4:10:07 pm)
    ezSupporter
    280Freak --- ya gotta a picture of your Marlin 39A?
    Would like to know more about them.
    Thanks
    Charlie D

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/26/02 5:36:21 pm)
    Charlie -

I'm ashamed to say that I don't have any pics of any of my "babies".

I don't know much about them except that I really like mine! They just look and feel "right", I'm sure you understand what I mean.

They are a take-down type lever action. Super simple to take apart and put back together, with a large diameter knurled-head screw arrangement for easy no-tools takedown.

If you know Marlin's website addy (I don't have it), I'm sure there would be info about it there. Have you tried typing "Marlin 39A" into Google? Probably lots of stuff out there.

One thing, I like my old style gun better than the newer ones that I have seen pictures of. The newer ones are checkered on the forearms and pistol grip areas. Mine is smooth, nicely figured wood. The checkering on the later models is too "busy" for my tastes.

Edited by: 280freak at: 8/26/02 6:45:22 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/26/02 7:59:43 pm)
    Pig, not to let the cat out of the bag. Two years ago, I bought the Romanian Trainers in lots of ten, for $39.00.
    These were the first runs to the public and not many were wise to them. That included $10.00 hand pick/excellent condition, not to mention nine of the first ten, had matching numbers. They are still a bargin, but will never be as good as they were, dang good deal on a .22. LTS

1952Sniper
    (8/27/02 8:13:27 am)
    LTS, I guess you wouldn't have any of those still lying around that you'd want to part with?
    Aus dem Panzer heraus und lassen einen Erwachsenen fahren, treten taube Testikel.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/27/02 8:19:11 am)
    Reply ..
    Nope, I listed the only two I would let go....some months back on GB. $1.00 No Reserve....sorry. LTS

Mini223
    (9/4/02 9:34:03 pm)
    Reply comment
    Howdy all. I have never posted here befor, but i was lookin around and was reading this topic, and thought i would ad that savage has a model 64F that can be purchased at Wal Mart for 89 bucks. I have never shot one but for that price you cant go wrong on a semi-auto 22. I did inspect the gun and the acion cycled smoothly and seemed rigid. Might be worth a look.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/5/02 2:57:51 pm)
    Reply Re: comment
    Thanks for the tip. I may have to slide on over to Wally World and check one out...
    Sie lesen deine Gedanken, und bohren in dein Gehirn. Feind hört mit....

Jay RH
    (9/5/02 5:56:50 pm)
    The Marlin 39A is the best .22 in my opinion. Go to the following link, www.marlinfirearms.com/fi...den39A.htm and also check out this link for the Marlin experts. www.marlinfirearms.com/cg...LastLogin= .........Jay

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/5/02 7:40:03 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: comment
    If you look close you can see the takedown screw on the side. I agree these are probably the best .22 out there.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 8:37:50 am)
    I really like the looks of the Marlin above. But how much does it cost????? I'd love a little plinker .22, but I don't want to spend a whole wad of money on it.

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 12:33:11 pm)
    They're a bit spendy.

Around $250 - $350 used, in good to excellent condition; around $425 - $450 brand new.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't take $450 for my 20 year old one, I like it THAT much!

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 1:10:14 pm)
    Yikes! That's a bit much. I like .22's, but not that much. You know how many Mosin-Nagants I could buy for that?

mrmarklin
    (9/21/02 12:06:21 am)
    Reply .22
    Best .22?? Are you trying to start a flame war??

My tastes run to Volquartsens and Coopers, but in my opinion the best gun for the money is the Ruger 10/22.

This gun has so many after market accessories and is so customizable, that I don't know why anyone on a budget would want anything else.
    I can also be upgraded as resources permit.

JackRyann
    (9/24/02 1:06:38 am)
    Reply Re: .22
    I spent about prolly less than a hundred on a nylon 66 20 years ago. All I've done the last 10 years to it is give it a new camo paint job every year. It's fun. It's cheap and it shoots straight. Don't have to worry about gett'n it scratched.
    Kill it and Grill, yeah! I love animals. They're tasty!

libertyman777
    (9/29/02 10:37:52 pm)
    You'll be hard pressed to beat the Ruger 10/22. They're reliable, accurate and there's a boatload of aftermarket stuff. Having said that I have an old Mossberg .22 bolt action that shoots like a dream. I believe it is a model 342KC but I would have to look to be sure. I'll have another 10/22 one day but I'll never get rid of my Mossberg. Regards.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/30/02 8:33:22 am)
    Hello libertyman777, and welcome to the Firearms Forum.

In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

libertyman777
    (9/30/02 9:01:30 am)
    Reply Welcome
    Thanks, proud to be here. I like to shoot my .22's and to talk with like-minded people.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/30/02 9:05:39 am)
    Reply Re: Welcome
    Welcome.....Stories told often, some are even true. LTS

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/30/02 9:16:47 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Welcome
    Welcome to our boards.

Beware of LTS - he has some real off the wall stories.

However, in regards to .22's - he's awesome!

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/30/02 5:33:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit Welcome...
    Welcome to the Firearms Forum!!!...BTW, The only one of the members I see posting evidence of any marksmanship skill is "Smokin Guns"... ...anyone else tellin' ya bout any skill, is jest tellin' a story...

djohns6
    (10/6/02 10:51:53 am)
    If anyone is interested , WalMart will order the 39A for $385.00 . Been there ,done that .

wsmc667
    (10/6/02 1:12:09 pm)
    hey SG, i thought you said you needed some practice?

- anonymous

Trog777
    (3/1/03 8:28:06 pm)
    Have to go with Xracer on this one. you can't go wrong with the Marlin 39A. But they sure have increased in price over the years.

JH45gun
    (3/2/03 1:28:59 am)
    Reply RE
    I am 50 and have shot a lot of 22's since I was 10. Had several 10/22's and got rid of them all even a 10/22 T not bad rifles and you can do a lot with them I might even buy another one some day. My newest 22 is a 22 mag Henry and I do not care what anyone says this rifle will shoot as good as any of them and nice wood and smooth to boot and a better deal than the Browning or the Winchester. It is a keeper! The first ones out may have been a bit rough but the new ones are a great deal and shoot excellent! I would guess the LR versions would shoot just as good. A word about the Romainian 69 you cannot get a better deal for the price anywhere and have a rifle that shoots as well as they do I have never heard of anyone that has one say they don't shoot. I would not take 500 bucks for mine it shoots that well and I have not even began to see what it likes the best but from what I can see of what I have shot sofar the federal target shoots one ragged hole at 25 yards in this gun and the aquila SSS 60 grain is darn close which supprised me how well it shoots out of this gun. for 50 to 70 bucks there is not a better buy on the market. Jim