The Firearms Forum banner

Best .22lr bang for the buck?

119K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  Kent Detective 
#1 ·
Gunruner
(2/25/02 12:39:14 am)
Reply Best .22lr bang for the buck?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was a big .22lr shooter in the 70's and I knew them all and shot them all. I got into reloading and centerfire guns and forgot the .22's. I would like to get back into .22lr and get my daughter involved but finances are the governing priority. Now I see Thompson Center .22lr, Remington's new .22, Savage .22's, and the Ruger 10-22, etc. I want to get back into .22lr shooting but I want quality/accuracy/economy and a great price. This will be a scoped rifle and a open sited pistol/revolver. What are the "best buys" and Why? You guys shoot them. What would you buy on a budget? Any info is appreciated........Mike

jeeper1
V.I.P. Member
(2/25/02 12:54:42 am)
Reply Re: Best .22lr bang for the buck?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't go wrong with Rugers, the 10-22 and the Mark 2 or whatever it is called now. Mine are all very old and I don't keep up on what they are called.
The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

WV Mike
(2/25/02 7:12:17 am)
Everyone I know that has a 10-22 is very happy with it, and if they are as reliable and accurate as claimed then $150 is a great price. Dont know much about 22lr bolts but will say that my Marlin .22 WMR bolt topped with a thirty dollar 3x9-32mm Simmons punches tiny groups. Again the gun goes for around $ 150. In the handgun line a Ruger Mark II is hard to beat for quality and accuracy. Mine is ten years old with thousands and thousands of rounds shot through it and not a problem. This pistol has put lots of squirrels in the pot. I think that the price for the stainless steel target model like mine is around $350 (??). On the other end is my Heritage .22/.22mag combo. At $150 it shoots ok, but not as well as the MK II. The added versatility of interchangable cylinders is a real bonus.

Good luck in your search!

Mike

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(2/25/02 9:52:17 am)
Buy a Ruger 10/22 then later, if you want, add all the aftermarket parts and have a real tack driver.

Gunruner
(2/26/02 12:12:05 am)
Thanks guys. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the bolt .22lr guns and the wheel guns. It seems from all I read that in an auto-loader the Ruger is the way to go, pistol or rifle...............Mike

TallTLynn
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/26/02 1:07:40 am)
ezSupporter
Re: Best .22lr bang for the buck?
Bolt actions .22lr's are fun! I bought one (mom ended up with it) last year and it's a grand little rifle to shoot. It's a Savage and it has a 10 round clip but you still have to work the bolt. Light weight and perfect for a female or a child.

Now as to wheel guns I can't help you. All the .22lr's I've had have been semi's.

kornhauser
(2/28/02 6:35:08 am)
Reply Best .22lr bang for the buck
I agree on the Ruger 10/22. Tricked mine out and have a blast with it. Even bought one of those silly trigger cranks to play like it's a machine gun.

Just picked up a Ruger Mark II pistol a few monthes ago. Great gun.

But for hunting, I use a bolt action Marlin 781. Given to me when I was 13 years old. Still drives tacks and pops squirrels twenty-five years later.

TangoZulu
(2/28/02 5:20:10 pm)
Reply Best .22lr bang for the buck
For a bolt action rifle I would recommend a CZ ZKM (CZ is also kown in Europe as BRNO) but I don't know about its price as I got mine in 2nd hand. It looks like a baby Mauser, shoots with extreme accuracy and is very robust. This czech manufacturer has the reputation of using one of the very best steels in the world.

Gunruner
(3/1/02 12:31:35 am)
Reply Re: Best .22lr bang for the buck
Thanks, I believe SOG has "Bruno" .22lr straight pull bolt guns. I believe they have them for less than $200 with walnut stocks. Anyone own or shoot one of these?

VT4ster
(3/4/02 9:29:33 pm)
Best bang for your buck??? That's a tough one. I've got a custom 10/22, mostly drop in easy do it your self stuff; Butler creek Barrel, Hogue stock, Volquartsen (sp?) trigger group, extended mag release etc.. It's a great shooter but when all was said and done I still had about $700.00 in the gun.
Now, on the other end of the spectrum I just got a Savage Mark II GL (I'm a lefty bolt action nut) 150 bucks. For that you get a floated barrel, adjustable trigger but the action and stock are a little rough(hey, it's a savage). The gun shoots great though, right there with the 10/22. It's got to be up there as one of the best buys going today.
As for pistols I've got a Browning Buckmark std., great gun all aroundFor kicks you can put a Jack Weigland or B-Square weaver rail and low end red dot scope on it and you've got a ton of fun!!! Punching paper, plinking cans, small game hunting no problem.
Hope this long winded reply helps
Take care

Tac401
Administrator
(3/4/02 9:55:42 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Best .22lr bang for the buck
Welcome Aboard VT4ster!
The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Gunruner
(3/6/02 12:05:01 am)
Hey all, I really appreciate all the answers. Have a great day folks!!!!!!!!Mike

rezeda
(5/10/02 2:18:48 am)
I had a Winshester 94/22 Legacy lever action, can be scoped, shoot 0.75" at 50 meter, for $350. Currently picked up a used 10/22 at the Harrisburg gun show for $150. I built one using the original Ruger receiver from a new gun ($200) ended up ~$800. I like them all, good shooters, different price range. I had a bad experience with Savage. However my favorite is the brit made BSA Supersporter-Five originally it was equipped with a peep sight, wich is missing, also its missing the magazine, so i had to replace it with a wood block, but with open sights, using any kind of amo, shoots 1 inch groups. The price? $15. (fifteen) Paid that price two months ago.
For handgun, I suggest a CZ Kadet, or, to make it more fun, CZ 85 Combat 9mm, plus a 22lr conversion kit. Like this she can learn the basics using the 22, and later switch, to the 9mm. The price? www.ruger-firearms.com/home.html
www.cz-usa.com www.jgsales.com pub69.ezboard.com/fczechp...82792frm45 pdmall.com/CZC/rifles~2.htm www.remington.com/index.htm Try theese web sites. www.marlinfirearms.com/

nevada paul
(5/10/02 11:18:41 am)
Reply Best 22 for the buck
I've always thought the government should come a leave a Ruger 10/22 on your doorstep when you turn 16. Every member of my family has his own.

My favorite plinker handgun is also my MarkII ruger.

As for wheel guns, I have a couple of S&W Model 17s. The old six shooter is very nice. The newer one is a 10 shot. It's a beautiful gun, but I've had some timing problems with it.

shooter22
*TFF Staff*
(5/11/02 3:20:27 pm)
Reply Re: Best 22 for the buck
If you are not going to trick out the gun, my suggestion would be the Thompson center new 22. It is a well thought out firearm. I am thinking about selling my Marlin Model 60 stainless laminated to get the Thompson.

BetaOp9
(5/25/02 1:39:27 am)
Reply e: Best 22 for the buck
I currently own a Remington 597 .22LR Semi Auto, Personally the gun is great for learning on and simply to chuck 500 rounds knowing your only spent $15 on bullets.

In the way of handguns, I think the Walther P22 is a very neat handgun and is made by a great company. Something worth considering.

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(5/25/02 6:12:59 am)
Reply Re: e: Best 22 for the buck
Beta, welcome to the board.

BetaOp9
(5/25/02 9:20:39 am)
Reply Best 22 for the buck
Thanks!

Tac401
Administrator
(5/25/02 1:07:35 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Best 22 for the buck
Welcome Aboard Beta!
TFF VMBB Email Tac

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(5/25/02 1:11:36 pm)
Reply Re: Best 22 for the buck
Beta, welcome to TFF

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(5/26/02 12:15:14 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Best 22 for the buck
Browning, shoots better, looks better, comes better equiped from the factory and you will not be supporting Bill Ruger.

Them Marlin 22's are also much better guns than the Rugers.
"I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

BetaOp9
(5/27/02 1:57:45 am)
Reply Blunder of the week.
Took my Remington 597 to the rifle range, shot at 25yrds and sighted her in and everything, let the gf shoot a hundred or so rounds to get used to the gun. The gun shoots great, except in showing the gf how to hold and use the rifle, i forgot to tighten down the rear sight, now i get home and my windage is just moving around. Could be worse.

Having finally used my Remington 597, I have to say its a great gun, solid weight makes it more stable. Got a clip for $6 cause it was in the lost and found and unclaimed, yay! :p

ibtrukn
V.I.P. Member
(5/29/02 9:08:34 am)
Reply Re: Blunder of the week.
Rite on Piggy....great minds think alike

an dats de troot"

Ruger ah I got one a 10/22 international new in the box, never shot it. Keep seeing "bill ruger" spose i should get over it

Ok Piggy u hooked me on that one!! U dudes readin this, CHECK the date on the postup!!
IB not B takin this layin down......

Edited by: ibtrukn at: 10/16/02 1:31:12 pm

Elite Sniper Squad
(10/15/02 9:54:52 pm)
Reply 22 rifle and pistol
the ruger 10/22 has mediocre accuracy stock and requires large sums of money to upgrade for still mediocre accuracy, bang for the buck marlin 25n ($125)is great, mine has 6x32 scope and shoots under an inch with remington subsonic hollowpoints at 100 yds, marlin 25m shoots federal premium 22 mags .75 @100yds, best accuracy for money oh and 3-9x40mm simmons scope, 10/22 with heavy target barrel s/s flutes butler creek and butler creek stock, new trigger and titanium firing pin around $400 and still shoots over 2 inches@100 missed another squirrel ~damn gun, great can killer at under 75 yards. For a pistol,contender shoots as good as a ruger 10/22, wheel gun ruger bearcat, semi a lot of them are good as these are most popular. hope this helped.

flyer
(10/16/02 4:26:47 am)
Reply Savage MKII
I have a Savage MKII (bolt action, 10 round magazine) with the synthetic stock and it is a fine shooter and won't break the bank. Marllin also makes fine 22's - they and Savage just about have the .22 perfected.

Pay attention to the bull barrel models if your budget permits - they are said to be especially good, especially for target shooting.

Check out pawn shops if you have any in your area. If a rifle is clean and free from dings and scratches it almost certainly hasn't been abused and sometimes you can get a very good buy.

You can have better luck with cheap scopes on a .22 than on a higher power rifle because they don't get beat to death by the recoil. Let your dealer suggest one and get it from him if the price is right and if he will stand behind it if it craps out. He can provide mounting rings and do a bore-sighting.

I don't like semiautomatics - you can't feed single rounds and that is enough to nix them. Hell, I don't really like magazines either, would much rather feed single rounds.

A friend has a Ruger 10/22 and it is a nice rifle but sets no records for accuracy. Everybody says they are great because of aftermarket parts to make them shoot better but that leaves me scratching my head. I think part of ther reason for their popularity is that the dealers like to carry them because of their higher price and that semiautomatics have a certain appeal to the spray and pray crowd. Give me a basic bolt action any day.

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(10/16/02 6:56:15 am)
Reply Re: Savage MKII
yep
In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

ibtrukn
V.I.P. Member
(10/16/02 12:37:25 pm)
For a nice cheep bolt gun to start with think Remington 500series....510,511,512, 513(can get pricey),514. U wanna spend some "jing" Rem 541S, every small bore dudes that I no wants one of these, but they COST. Going to auction Fri that has one. To the bank to the bank to the bank!!!

tuckerd1
*TFF Staff*
(10/16/02 3:17:44 pm)
Am very pleased with my 541T heavy barrel!
"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

yuppiejr
(11/20/02 12:03:35 am)
Reply CZ 452 .22 Bolt Action
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the best value in a .22 rifle in stock configuration is the CZ 452 Trainer/Standard model. I believe they sell somewhere around $200 or $250 if you can find a local dealer (check www.cz-usa.com for a location near you) and are built better than most of the big american made rifles in the same price class.

I'm certainly not saying that the American made rimfire products out there are not worth a look. I spent months comparing and shooting the various bolt and SA models out there but nothing compared to the CZ 452 in stock configuration for the money (Ruger, Savage, Remington, Marlin, etc). It lacks the overall "tinker" appeal of the Ruger 10/22 (I own 2) but is a better choice as an accurate and well made rifle out of the box. There is simply no better deal on the market today for under $500 for a well made .22 rimfire rifle.

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(11/20/02 10:07:53 am)
ezSupporter
Re: CZ 452 .22 Bolt Action
All under $500

For Class, sheer genious of design, and beauty

For plinking

For accuracy

Bill
(1/9/03 5:29:00 pm)
Reply Best 22 rifle
Ha...Glad to see Warpig883 posted a picture of the Buckmark rifle with bull barrel. Ceratinly not the most cost effective autoloader, but what a unique, fun gun.
I have the sport version with the lighter barrel..BSA red dot and it points and shoots as sweet as can be. Very lightweight super fun gun. Draws lots of attention due to its unusual style.

See less See more
#3 ·
10/22 is a great shooter as everyone knows here. My preference is the bolts over semis when it comes to the 22 calibers

I personally own the Savage MK2 bolt 22lr. I love it and swear by it. Very light. Out of the box accurate and inexpensive. Great starter for the young and the old. :)
Ialso own a Savage MKII Varminter and agree.The only problem with mine is the fixed sites. the front site is about 3millimeters to the right. The rear is right on though so I cant hit anything without a scope. Other than that its tough as nails.-Char

#4 · (Edited)
If you are interested in a semi auto 22, the Thompson Center Classic is probably the best available. I watched a shooting pardner shoot a 5 shot group with his at 50 yards that measured about 1/4". All he did was mount a scope on it.
You can tweak a 10-22 to get that same kind of accuracy, but it takes money and time.
The Thompson Classic has a steel receiver too, and looks very nice over all.

Don

#5 ·
if we are leaning toward the ' buck' part, then the mossberg plinkster, or the savage 64, can both be had new, for about 100 bucks. the savage will have nice accuracy, and the mossy has that fully adjustable rear site, which is nice for a cheap 22 rifle. plus the mossy action is mostly a mod 60 clone, so you know it will work well for a long time.

#7 ·
10-22 is a good rifle, but you spend a lot of money to make it accurate. I've had two, neither was "on the money". Out of the box, with no modifications to make, and for a rifle that will shoot to point of aim, I'd recommend the CZ 452. Initial cost is all there is, well, there's ammo.

#8 ·
A great little rifle for around $170 is the Marlin 981T-- a bolt action/tube feed that shoots short,long,or long rifle. I have a 3-9 scope on mine and it shoots terrific. Also the Henry H001 lever for around $230 is a fun rifle to plink with. Both a good deal and good shooters.
Mike

#9 ·
Stay away from the Sears-Roebuck line. Haven't been made in MANY years, it's a COOEY model 94 I think, but if you see a used one, ever, stay away. I love mine but only because it was my first firearm. In running throung a ten rd. magazine it will fail to load a fresh rd. about twice (it's a semi-auto), jam on a rd. that gets stuck on the feed ramp twice, and catch a spent casing when the bolt closes once resulting in several minutes of colorful language trying to force the bolt open. I get good groups with it though, I just never count on rapid fire.

#10 ·
Buy a used Ruger 10-22 at the pawn shop. $150
Sent it to Randy at CPC and let him set the bbl back, do a trigger job, and headspace the bolt. $175
With Wolf MT [ $3] a box ammo it will shoot inside a dime @ 50 yds.
Check on rimfirecentral.com for deals in their classifieds section.

#11 ·
Gunruner:

The Rugers are fine but you can't find a better out of the box shooter than a Marlin M60. They are VERY accurate and functional as well as a great buy. I've owned/own two of them and never had a problem. Best auto I've owned, and not just for the economy either. Check them out. You;ll be amazed and will find they're better than rifles costing much, much more. If you like a magazine fed rifle look at their model 795 or 795SS. Also great shooters and inexpensive. Same goes for the Marlin bolt actions. I own several of them as well and you'll find it very difficult indeed to find a better shooting rifle out of the box for this low price. Absolutely great shooters!

As for the Marlin 39 lever action 22LR's ... well they're hard to beat also. They're not cheap initially but they'll last forever. Your great grand kids will be shooting them. Beautiful rifle and a top shooter. Look at Marlin's site.

Good shooting.

Range Finder.

#12 ·
yeah, i'll throw my hat into this long thread.....

i second the suggestion on the C.Z. rifles.

look around and you'll discover C.Z. to be the most quality for your hard earned buck.
turkish walnut stocks on most models or european beech.
nice bluing on barrels and matt finish on receivers.
hammer forged barrels.
nice iron sights and dovetail receivers that are straight, though 11mm.
very accurate right fom the box!
whittaker guns out of kentucky have probably the best prices and are honest and reliable people. check out the C.z. web site.
i have a 452 varmit, 452 luz with the european style forearm , and a mannlicher stock fs452. all have been great.

#13 · (Edited)
I worked at a gun shop for several years, and learned to trust my instincts, when reading Shot Gun News, in the slow times; the six "MAS-45 Type Training Rifles", advertised by Navy Arms, back in the early '80's, were one of those 'things' we all pray for!
While 'rollmarked' "Made in U. A. R.", the proofs were Czech, Brno Model 2's, every one, back when the wood was pretty, and blue was blue! (Proof dates were all 1957-58, IIRC!)
The one I kept was some scarred, from poor storage, in the wood, but, refinished to gorgeous, and, will shoot under a dime at 50yds, with good ammo, all day long; the scope, a 6X Leupold, that it hangs under,cost more than twice what the rifle did; the rifle was $69.95!
Long on headspace, short on throat, heavy in trigger, as it arrived; BUT, just like a real rifle, the receiver is threaded, so setting back the barrel, a thread, and re-chambering, was an hour's work!
The trigger, identical to the M-54 Winchester, responded the same way the Win does, with a stone, and a spring, to make it delicious!
I have at most, discounting my time, $210 in this rig, and it will shoot with most of my 'target rifles', without handicap.
I've 452's, and 52's, and 40-X's, aplenty, yet this rifle still stirs my soul, out of economy; maybe the cheapest thing on a rifle is the shooter!

#16 ·
A great little rifle for around $170 is the Marlin 981T-- a bolt action/tube feed that shoots short,long,or long rifle. I have a 3-9 scope on mine and it shoots terrific. Also the Henry H001 lever for around $230 is a fun rifle to plink with. Both a good deal and good shooters.
Mike
Not trying to thread jack, but I recently decided to put a scope on my Marlin 981t. I am having a horrible time finding mounts for it. Can you tell me where you got yours?

thanks in advance.
Fuzzy out.

#18 ·
There is no doubt in my mind at all that the best buy in a .22LR rimfire right now is the TOZ-78-1 from Centerfire Systems, for $99.99 with 2-10 round and 2-5 round magazines. Ugly stock, cheap looking but great functioning plastic mags, fairly rough fit and finish, but sub 1 lb. trigger pull weight achievable through simple adjustment (no mods needed) zero trigger creep and accuracy only slightly less than my CZs. Did I mention how fantastic the trigger is right out of the box? There is no other rifle for less than $700.00 that can beat the trigger on these Russian guns. Give it a camo paint job to cover up the ugly orange stain and you will have one fantastic squirrel gun or plinker. I love mine, and I have many MUCH nicer and more expensive rifles.

I'll be ordering a TOZ-99 semi auto next week. Looks like an almost identical gun, only semi not bolt action.

#20 ·
Well, a lot of that depends on what sort of action you're looking for, how close to your target goal of <$500 you want to be, and what you plan on using it for mainly (plinking, target, hunting, etc.)

The Ruger 10/22 has a large following, but a lot of that seems to be among those who are customizing them and improving the factory accuracy. Nothing wrong with that, but it can get expensive. My favorite .22 semi-auto plinker is the Marlin M60. They're certainly within your budget.

If you like lever guns, few things are better than a Marlin 39A, although that's near the top of you wallet.

For a great bolt action, you need look no further than a CZ 452. The Trainer model is modestly priced, and the fancier ones are right under $500.

The same decision needs to be made regarding handguns. Revolvers can run from around $300 for a Ruger Single Six to $700 for a S&W model 63. Same thing goes for autoloaders. The Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark III are affordable and good buys. I like my Beretta M87 Cheetah, but at $650 it's above your limit.

Good luck with you hunt for a new toy!

#21 · (Edited)
I have two Savage 22 Cal. rifles one in 22 Mag, the other 22 rf Mark II in sporter barrel both with AccuTrigger. Rifle,Scope and slings I have about $225 in each. When I do my part I usually get great results with there preferred ammo. My RF likes the PMC 40 Gr. solids and Aquila 38 Gr. SubSonic HP's. the 22 Mag likes the Fiocchi 40 Gr. SP's

#22 ·
My dad has a ruger 10/22 and the clip jams if you put more then 5 bullets in it, bought a new clip 2 years ago and it did the same thing last year.
I have a savage .22 auto and the springs jammed after about 4 years and tons of ammo, even after totally cleaning about 250 rounds.
Bought a savage .22 bolt action synthetic stock. Looks kinda cheap but it is pretty acurate and only cost about $100. Empty shell occationally gets stuck if ya try to eject it really slow. Really good buy for the money. Bought it instead of buying a marlin .22 bolt wood, because she didn't want me to spend 170 on it. Didn't have a sling bolts either.
Old winchesters are really good guns also.
I have a marlin .22 mag bolt, never had a problem with it, just needs to be cleaned alot. (I have a huge scope on it) It is so acurate i was shooting chipmunks at 150-200 yards. At about 150-200 yards I can keep 10 shots all within a 2inch circle. Well worth $200, scope $150, caps $15, rings $30 bipod $60, laser/flashlight combo $50, and sling $25....
TOTAL= $530 .......and a box of ammo is $12
i know i don't need everything on it but i like it.

#24 ·
No one mentioned the Marlin 60. I have a 60SS with a small Tasco scope that I paid about 20 bucks for it and I can drill on the target in good groups. Not bad for an inexpensive common .22

The Marlin warranty is great as I learned when they replaced a messed up receiver that I didn't know about when i bought it second hand. I sent in and they replaced the receiver at no cost.

#25 ·
I'd have to weigh in with something a bit different. For $99.99 you can get a "Whisper" with 2-5 round and 2- 10 round mags from Centerfire Systems and have a real shooter for a song. This gun is a Russian TOZ-78. Triggers on these adjust down below 1 lb. with virtually no creep. The stocks are butt ugly and I ended up painting mine but with a 4-12 scope on it, it will shoot 1 MOA all day long. The gun is so light that it does not shine off a bench, but should be great for lugging around in the field. I have no doubt that this gun will outshoot any 10/22 out of the box. It shoots nearly as good as my CZs. For fifty bucks more you can get the sem-auto version, the TOZ-99, for those who like to burn through a lot of ammo. The trigger is not quite as nice, but both guns take the same mags.

#26 · (Edited)
beammeupscotty:

I agree with you on this little sport job from the former USSR. I also state that I am a fan of CenterFire. I bought quite a few items, including pistols, stocks, and ammo and have had good luck with them.

Oh by the way my first my Dad bought for my 14th birthday. It's a Remington 514 that I still own. Never had a scope and it still shots well. It turned 50 in September 2006!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.