Best .22lr bang for the buck?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. FuzzyHead

FuzzyHead New Member

Not trying to thread jack, but I recently decided to put a scope on my Marlin 981t. I am having a horrible time finding mounts for it. Can you tell me where you got yours?

thanks in advance.
    Fuzzy out.
  2. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

Ruger 10/22s give a 'great bang for the buck', so to speak, as do the Marlin 795s. :)
  3. beammeupscotty

beammeupscotty New Member

There is no doubt in my mind at all that the best buy in a .22LR rimfire right now is the TOZ-78-1 from Centerfire Systems, for $99.99 with 2-10 round and 2-5 round magazines. Ugly stock, cheap looking but great functioning plastic mags, fairly rough fit and finish, but sub 1 lb. trigger pull weight achievable through simple adjustment (no mods needed) zero trigger creep and accuracy only slightly less than my CZs. Did I mention how fantastic the trigger is right out of the box? There is no other rifle for less than $700.00 that can beat the trigger on these Russian guns. Give it a camo paint job to cover up the ugly orange stain and you will have one fantastic squirrel gun or plinker. I love mine, and I have many MUCH nicer and more expensive rifles.

I'll be ordering a TOZ-99 semi auto next week. Looks like an almost identical gun, only semi not bolt action.
  4. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

for a good reliable accurate 22 go down to the pawn shop and get a mossberg they are accurate enought to shoot with all the fancy 500-1000 dollar guns you can buy today, and make most of them look bad.
  5. skeeter1

skeeter1 New Member

Well, a lot of that depends on what sort of action you're looking for, how close to your target goal of <$500 you want to be, and what you plan on using it for mainly (plinking, target, hunting, etc.)

The Ruger 10/22 has a large following, but a lot of that seems to be among those who are customizing them and improving the factory accuracy. Nothing wrong with that, but it can get expensive. My favorite .22 semi-auto plinker is the Marlin M60. They're certainly within your budget.

If you like lever guns, few things are better than a Marlin 39A, although that's near the top of you wallet.

For a great bolt action, you need look no further than a CZ 452. The Trainer model is modestly priced, and the fancier ones are right under $500.

The same decision needs to be made regarding handguns. Revolvers can run from around $300 for a Ruger Single Six to $700 for a S&W model 63. Same thing goes for autoloaders. The Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark III are affordable and good buys. I like my Beretta M87 Cheetah, but at $650 it's above your limit.

Good luck with you hunt for a new toy!
  6. res45

res45 Member

I have two Savage 22 Cal. rifles one in 22 Mag, the other 22 rf Mark II in sporter barrel both with AccuTrigger. Rifle,Scope and slings I have about $225 in each. When I do my part I usually get great results with there preferred ammo. My RF likes the PMC 40 Gr. solids and Aquila 38 Gr. SubSonic HP's. the 22 Mag likes the Fiocchi 40 Gr. SP's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  7. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

My dad has a ruger 10/22 and the clip jams if you put more then 5 bullets in it, bought a new clip 2 years ago and it did the same thing last year.
    I have a savage .22 auto and the springs jammed after about 4 years and tons of ammo, even after totally cleaning about 250 rounds.
    Bought a savage .22 bolt action synthetic stock. Looks kinda cheap but it is pretty acurate and only cost about $100. Empty shell occationally gets stuck if ya try to eject it really slow. Really good buy for the money. Bought it instead of buying a marlin .22 bolt wood, because she didn't want me to spend 170 on it. Didn't have a sling bolts either.
    Old winchesters are really good guns also.
    I have a marlin .22 mag bolt, never had a problem with it, just needs to be cleaned alot. (I have a huge scope on it) It is so acurate i was shooting chipmunks at 150-200 yards. At about 150-200 yards I can keep 10 shots all within a 2inch circle. Well worth $200, scope $150, caps $15, rings $30 bipod $60, laser/flashlight combo $50, and sling $25....
    TOTAL= $530 .......and a box of ammo is $12
    i know i don't need everything on it but i like it.
  8. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Nice rifle's...and nice group! Keep 'em...
  9. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

No one mentioned the Marlin 60. I have a 60SS with a small Tasco scope that I paid about 20 bucks for it and I can drill on the target in good groups. Not bad for an inexpensive common .22

The Marlin warranty is great as I learned when they replaced a messed up receiver that I didn't know about when i bought it second hand. I sent in and they replaced the receiver at no cost.
  10. beammeupscotty

beammeupscotty New Member

I'd have to weigh in with something a bit different. For $99.99 you can get a "Whisper" with 2-5 round and 2- 10 round mags from Centerfire Systems and have a real shooter for a song. This gun is a Russian TOZ-78. Triggers on these adjust down below 1 lb. with virtually no creep. The stocks are butt ugly and I ended up painting mine but with a 4-12 scope on it, it will shoot 1 MOA all day long. The gun is so light that it does not shine off a bench, but should be great for lugging around in the field. I have no doubt that this gun will outshoot any 10/22 out of the box. It shoots nearly as good as my CZs. For fifty bucks more you can get the sem-auto version, the TOZ-99, for those who like to burn through a lot of ammo. The trigger is not quite as nice, but both guns take the same mags.
  11. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

beammeupscotty:

I agree with you on this little sport job from the former USSR. I also state that I am a fan of CenterFire. I bought quite a few items, including pistols, stocks, and ammo and have had good luck with them.

Oh by the way my first my Dad bought for my 14th birthday. It's a Remington 514 that I still own. Never had a scope and it still shots well. It turned 50 in September 2006!
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  12. res45

res45 Member

jean I have one of those Marlin Mod 60's also in blue steel I got it new at Wally world couple years ago gun,nice sling and 3 x 9 Tasco for like $150 you can pop old spend 12 Ga. cases off the fence post at 100 yds all day long with it and thats using cheap bulk pak. ammo to boot. I'm thinking about getting me one in SS. have you ever seen one of those 8 tube 15 Rd. speed loaders for tube magazine rf rifles. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS120-44767-1172.html
  13. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Yes I have one. Works slicker than a greased pig. Stay home and watch TV and load up at night and you then can shoot most of the next day!
    I can only get 14 long rifles in mine. I heard you can load .22 mags but I can't think of a tube fed .22 mag off the top of my head right now. I'm sure there is.

I should buy one for my son in law. He's got an old turn of the century Winchester .22 that can only fire .22 (shorts). It's a pump that's tube fed!
    I agree with you that the model 60 is a really underrated semi. I find that I like it a lot better than a 10/22 although I do like Rugers!

My Model 60 has not met any cheap ammo it doesn't like.

You know, it's a funny thing but I have never seen a model in blue up here in Maine. All the ones I have seen are stainless steel, maybe it's the weather:D

14. res45

res45 Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  15. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Great guns. I gotta say that I'm not into camo. Must be the 25 years of being a cop. I like black, the blacker the better, heh, heh.

To the mods: For some reason I can't enhance the text when I'm writing a post. No BOLD, UNDERLINE, or even smilies?