Best .22lr bang for the buck?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. remguage

remguage New Member

remington 597 or marlin modal 60
  2. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

shot a 46mb mossberg today with a 3X9 scope at 25 yards. wolf mt gave a group of .169 th. and remington sub sonic gave .115th. this is a 95 buck pawn shop gun. talk about bang for the buck.(thats using a really good rest with no wind.)
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    re long guns,semi auto must be ruger,fairly cheap at discount stores and endless mods if needed or wanted,there is no second choice.next would be a bolt action marlin.try and find an older one that will shoot shorts longs and long rifle.this was common in older guns but its a premium now.advantages are you can shoot cb shorts in rifle with(tube feed)it will hold 20-25 rounds these are so quiet that you can shoot varmits in your back yard and neighbors will never know.i am not telling you to do this though.i myself prefer tube feed.as to pistol i suggest single action ruger(convertable)can shoot 22 lr or change cylinder and shoot 22 mag.i have one that is 25-30 years old it has never let me down.a good gun to learn pistol shooting.no accidental firing,must be cocked each time fired and good gun for teaching new shooters.also the ruger semi-auto is a good choice if you want that type of firearm
  4. 38 special

38 special New Member

REmington model 581
  5. William Harper

William Harper New Member

I like the CZ Lux, the CZ Ultra Lux Super Exclusive, and the TOZ 78-01. Any of the three are unusually good bolt action .22 LRs. I also admire the Savage bolt action .22 LR with iron sights and the accu-trigger; one can always add a scope.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Im a beliver in bolt guns too, it kind of puts ability to shoot back on the table. SA are ok
    if thats what you like, but bolts don't jam very often. CZ makes some of the best rifles
    for the price, superb accuracy simple to work on, there is one main problem with them, it's the trigger! I bought a 452 special for about $360 and it had about 3/32" creep. that
    was unacceptable! the easyest way to fix the problem is to go to ebay and order the
    "yodave" trigger tune-up kit. you get four different thickness tubes and four trigger springs. instructions are included and it is not hard to improve the trigger greatly. I
    orderd the Eric Brooks kit, it's the same thing and did not get the kit or my money back.
    I found out later that happens with him often. So I went with an Automations adj sear.
    Unless you have alot of willpower and experence with springs, it is a bear! It took me 45
    minutes and alot of cussin to get it in! but if you pervail it is worth the work, 0 creep.
    Anyway that is my choice and they make the 452 in several different modles and after this year it is to be discontinued and will become a different model
  7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 795 ($129) or Marlin 60 ($149)...hard to beat.

Many, many posts on other forums about folks who take 'em straight outta the box, clean & oil 'em, and shoot sub-1" five-shot groups at 25 & 50...and a few at 75 & 100 yards :)

Inexpensive...lots of options...plenty of stocks...Heavy Target Barrel's available from $34-$58.

Accurizing is inexpensive as well...pillar bed 'em & do a quick trigger job (it ain't rocket science) and they can dust CZ's all day long...if the shooter is up to it.
  8. j3hill

j3hill New Member

Glad to see I am not the only one who has found a new love of the .22
    I have a mint 69A that I found going thru my grandfathers stuff that was made in 1939 and shoots perfect, then I just found a nearly mint Remington 581 at a garage sale for 50.00, and the next day this guy I know calls me and asked if I want a marlin 66 for free. I guess he was cleaning out some old stuff after his wife died, he is going to a senior retirement place. Got a few Sears and Ithaca shotguns from him too.
  9. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

Good question (unlike asking for BEST .22LR rifle). :p

"Bang for Buck" (very American phrase that one) would be like this -

1. CZ Model 452 (or older Brno)
    2. Marlin Model 60 or model 795 (most popular rimfire rifles ever)

Plenty of other contenders out there. It's all about personal taste and what you happen to use...:D

Never liked Rugers because their "build quality" isn't as good as CZ (in my opinion based upon limited experience). But the 10/22 does seem popular. Everyone I know with a RUGER spends time replacing most of the poor made/quality parts (triggers etc). I prefer a rifle that shoots straight from the box - CZ.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011