The Firearms Forum banner

Best 22LR for "older" Target Shooters

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NavyChief 
#1 ·
Help - I have been away from target shooting for 30 plus years. Varieties and availability of ammo have changed dramatically to say the least! Looking for the best - most appropriate (US Made) 22LR's for the following:

H&R Model 195
Colt Woodsman (First Series)
1922 Springfield M1 (early - low S/N)
Marlin Model 99DL

Personal favorites and suggestions appreciated. I went to a gun show over the weekend hoping to buy something since all the local stores are out and was put off with all the brands I am not familiar with. Should I wait for Federal to become available?

Thanks,

Paul

#4 ·
Every gun has it likes, and dislikes in ammo, and usually no two guns will shoot to the same place with the same ammo. Yes there is a lot to choose from, but you narrowed it down with U.S. made guns. I have a second edigtion Colt Woodsman, and it is just as accurate today as it was when new. And my squirrel gun is an old Remington model 581, bolt action rifle that I picked up at the pawn shop. It might not be as accurate as some of the guns that cost $2,000 +, but I can hit a squirrels head at 50 yards. At this point in time there is very little .22 ammo available anywhere, and that includes all makes.

#5 ·
For a good target 22LR try CCI green tag. It is the most accurate in all my 22's. It is also quite costly.
That's quite a setup you have there. I've been reloading for 35 years, and all I have is a Lee 3 hole turret press! I also cast my own bullets.

#6 ·
there's plinking target vs serious target. fun vs competition
I don't do any serious target with 22LR.

for plinking target the major US brands in the 50 count box all do decent. for foreign makes RWS and the aquila rounds are both nice. the RWS comes in a few options so you can get to your serious target with them. the aquila rounds seem to be consistent and cycle in all semi autos i've seen them used in but have not seen a competition load.
or a load that i recognized to be competition
hope this helps.

#7 ·
Chief - you are talking 'target shooting' and not 'competition shooting'. That being the case, the best all around U.S. ammo that I've found is the good old CCI Mini Mags. They function well in any .22 that I've shot them thru. As far as accuracy - .22s are very accurate by nature. Most .22 ammo will shoot as well as you can hold the weapon.

I've heard comment about 'dirty ammo'. Don't know how you guys did things in the Navy or the Marines, but the Army taught us to clean our weapons after we fired them. Any ammo will 'dirty' a weapon.

Have fun and enjoy those great weapons!

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone who weighed in. I appreciate the info.

As a young squid back in the 70's, I would take a break from my regular job and hang out in the Armory on the ship and help clean up after all those wonderful "familiarization" firings we were forced to take part in. :)

Wonder if they still do that in the "Modern" Navy?

They wouldn't let me play with the twin 3 inch 50's though...

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.