Best .308 ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Bagoosh
    (9/19/01 12:40:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Best .308 ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a double post from ammo forum.

See question below but I am not looking for ammo to load, just opinions on the ammo that you can get at a good gun store.

I just purchased a savage tactical bolt in .308 and I want to get some suggestions on ammo to use. Of course I am going to get a whole bunch of military surplus to practice and get good. But for the barrel break-in i would like to put some super clean ammo through it. I also want to have around some ammo that has great long range ballistics. So the questions are below

What is the

Cleanest ammo in .308
    Most accurate ammo in .308

I dont want to start a war over this but all your input helps. Also, I really dont want to spend more than $20 or $25 a box if possible.

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/01 3:00:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Best .308 ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great choice of a gun Bagoosh. I have the exact same one. Very accurate! I don't reload rifle ammo so I always use store bought. To tell you the truth I always buy the cheapest I can. Mine shoots best with the Remmington Core Lokt. 200 yards puts all the holes inside an inch and a half. I think that is pretty good.

Forgot to add, this is just shooting off the hood of the pickup at a 2" swinging target. I think if I used a bench and payed attention to the wind and stuff I could do better yet.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 9/19/01 5:29:01 pm

gpostal
    (9/19/01 3:50:00 pm)
    stay away from cci ,anything including .22 it crap

winchester has been producing some junk as well
    if you buy their cheap line ,thats what you get ,inacurate key hole shooting junk

i stay with remington ,as much as possible

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/19/01 4:02:15 pm)
    Whatever you can get your hands on, lately. Century Arms is out of Ammo and most other large suppliers too. If you want some, get it now.....be choosy later. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/01 11:24:07 pm)
    Nitex 180gr Grand Slams
    "Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar." Churchill - May 19, 1940, London.
  2. sniperjoe123

sniperjoe123 New Member

I use Remington express Core-Lokt 150 grain bullets in my .308 and they hit the bullseye up to 200 yards almost every time. It is also a VERY clean ammo and would help break in your gun for sure.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Cleanest is iffy.

As for most accurate well that is up to your rifle. Rifles are like women some like tall guys some like short guys some like skinny guys.... You just have to try different brands to see what is the cleanest and best shooing in your rifle.
  4. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Georgia Arms with 168g SMK.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Interesting thread that started out in 03.

Back in the day when Hornady was making light mag ammo I found it to be the cleanest I have ever used. The brass was as clean on the inside as it was on the outside after shooting. The rilfe was clean too. Very accurate, in fact i ran some thru the chrony. No more than 5 fps difference in rounds. The ammo had a compressed charge of blended powder and worked great. Sorry to see this has gone. The new superformance is not quite the same. Not as fast. But as far as ammo goes the superformance is the best avaliable today I have found as far as being clean, and accurate. sURE wish they would bring back the light mag.
  6. zant

zant Member

Depends on rifle and twist-my Savage thrives on 175gr handloads...won't even group 155grs....my friends Remington 700 loves 155s and puts 175s all over paper....weird how 20grs makes that big a difference.
  7. cutter

cutter New Member

My Savage and Howa love the 168-175 gr the best also, good to hear that others do the same.
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Barnes 150 grain TSX and H4895 is pretty darn good for me
  9. okiefired

okiefired New Member

As far as factory match ammo goes, Federal Gold Metal Match has been the standard by which all others are judged for years. Its loaded with 168 or 175 gr Sierra Match Kings, I've never known of a quality rifle that wouldn't perform well with one of these loads.
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The best factory shooting ammo I have tried in my Savage .308 tactical is Federal 168 Gold medal match. I do not even know if they make it anymore. The only reason I bought it was a dealer had 4 boxes of it he told me I could have for $80. He is a hunting dealer and clicked the wrong line and ordered this instead of some hunting ammo he wanted. He does not deal with many people who shoot benchrest and could not send it back. He took a huge beating on it to move it. To me, the match prepped brass was worth that because I have to load and shoot it one time to fire form it to my chamber anyway. I have never reloaded anything that will outshoot it. I can reload to shoot with it, but not outshoot it as of yet.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  11. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Its alive and well brother.......and expensive. Have a good friend that just got another case of it, he dosn't reload because its so good. I agree too in that it is very hard to reload better than it is in most rifles.

okie