Best .308 win sniper rifle?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gunnut1980, Jul 23, 2008.

1. gunnut1980

gunnut1980 New Member

I claim washington state, and pennsylvainia
    I'm planing on buying a .308 win when I return to the states,Preferably a bolt action.But I have never owned a bolt action before.Woould you folks mind giving me some suggestions?I'll be useing it primarily for long range target shooting,and maybe a little hunting later on down the road.I apriciate any input you can give me.thanks.

spc. White
    632nd maint. Co. 87th
    mozul,Iraq
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

Gunnut, thanks for your service sir. Check out the guys in the post below.
    ( sorry somehow I ended up with 2 post LOL)

Art
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

Gunnut, thanks for your service sir. Check out the guys in the link below. Norm & Rocky Chandler have been there and done that. They know of what they speak.
    Stick with a Remington 700 platform. That way you have lots of options. There are more pieces parts for the 700 than any other bolt gun.

Stay safe sir.

http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_weapons_menu.shtml

One thing you could do is buy a 700 action and have a Benchrest grade gunsmith build a rifle for you. Be careful to get somebody who knows what the hell their doing and not just some shadetree pipefitter. Here is a link to some good smiths. Please remember good work is neither cheap or quick.

http://benchrest.com/inlink/index.php?sid=672730822&t=sub_pages&cat=11&num_results=100

Art
  4. gunnut1980

gunnut1980 New Member

I claim washington state, and pennsylvainia
    Thanks for the links.After drooling over those beautifull long arms for a half hour or so,I decided to look into the remington 700 platform.I think i may have settled on the 700 p(Police model),It's pretty affordable in the 800 dollar range.Now all i have to do is figure out what kind of glass i need for it.:)
  5. artabr

artabr New Member