The Firearms Forum banner

Best .357 Ammo for Target Shooting?

21K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  sstephenson 
#1 ·
Ok, I know the word "Best" is pretty subjective depending on how I mean it, so here's what I'm looking for:

I'm going to be purchasing a .357 revolver for both home defense and target shooting. There are lots of threads on the best defensive rounds, but I'm not finding a lot of suggestions in terms of good ammo for plinking and target shooting. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, reasonably accurate, dependable, and a relatively clean round that doesn't "gunk" up the barrel too badly. I'd like to get some suggestions for both .357 and .38 ammo. Thanks in advance for your help! :D

#2 ·
I use Blazer 38 Spl alot. Little dirty but clean your gun when you're done and its good.

#4 ·
It sounds like you don't reload so what what I've seen in the stores it is whatever you can find under $45 a box. You may want to get into reloading. I shoot cast swc's in my 357's and then finish with JHP's.

#6 · (Edited)
Re: Best .357 Ammo for Target Shooting and Plinking?

Post revived - I think that the moderator considered this to be the more appropriate forum.

Please continue to give me your thoughts on good target and plinking rounds for the .357. Criteria are price, dependability, doesn't create excessive "muck" in the barrel, accuracy. Thanks!:cool:

Oh, and by the way, I don't currently reload. Based on the price of ammo though, that may be a consideration for the future.

#7 · (Edited)
For general 'plinking' there is little reason IMHO to fire .357 ammo when a less expensive .38 Special will do the deed and punch satifactory holes in paper zombies.

The actual range of a self-defense shooting statistically is (if my aging memory serves) under 15 feet, so not much need for 'long range' practice for that event. It could be tough to convince a jury how that person 30 yards away was an "immediate threat to your life".

If you want the recoil practice of the magnum round, I would still say buy whatever is the least expensive ammo you can find. It will be just fine at the range.

As to 'clean' rounds, I always clean my firearms after every range session so it doesn't matter to me how clean my reloads burn. It takes about 30 seconds to run a bore snake thru a barrel a couple times and another 60 to wipe down the pistol with some CLP. http://www.pistoleer.com/breakfree/clp/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.