Best .44 mag revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bill, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Bill

Bill New Member

While living in Kodiak Alaska I carried a Super Blackhawk and loved it. It seemed to handle hot loads nicely and was very accurate with almost anything I fed it. However, the trigger guard would bite me and the grip allowed too much rotation in my hand.

Recently tried a S/W model 26-3 then later a 629. The guns were used and I had trouble cocking each of these guns after a few rounds. They may have been previously abused but compared to the Super Blackhawk they seemed under built which I suspect was causing the mechanical problems.

Bought the Dan Wesson and life was good again. A strong gun, but very heavy. No pain shooting this gun. Only takes a few minutes to change barrels and is a very handsome piece.

Last week bought a Super Redhawk and I'll have to say this gun has it all. Great grip, strong design, comfortable to shoot and accurate. Also has machined scope mounts and I'll soon red dot it.

So for what its worth of the ,44 Mag revolvers I've had experience with here is my order of rank as overall best .44 mag:

Super Redhawk
    Dan Wesson
    Super Blackhawk
    Model 629
    Model 29-3
    I'd enjoy reading comments on these or other .44 mag revolvers. I just might start a collection of .44 mags as its my favorite pistol caliber.
    Bill
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Here's a little trick with any Blackhawk. Curl your right little finger until it is UNDER the grip. Fire away! Will not move in your hand!

I am assuming you are right handed in the above statement. If left handed, use the other pinkie. :D :D :D
  3. psalm69

psalm69 New Member

I'm interested in ya'lls experiences with the New Model Super Blackhawk. I just bought one about a month ago and have put 148 rounds through it. I have to say I'm not very good yet. I'm much better with my Dan Wesson .357. Anyway, how are you guys holding shooting the ones you have? It seems like I'm all over the place. I'm 100% sure that my bad shooting is operator error. Any advise any one can give I would be greatful for.

BTW I've been using the Winchester 240 grain jacketed softpoints. :confused:
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Everybody who's read my posts are probably getting sick of me talking about my SuperRedhawk. I love it. Wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. I'm not too crazy about the blackhawks. The grip just doesn't seem right. It'll handle any load I want for probably longer than I will be able to shoot it. My wife's uncle has a S&W that he's had to rebuild because it couldn't handle the loads he shot through it. They're fine guns, but until they put some more meat on 'em, I'm stickin with Ruger.

I've never fired a Dan Wesson. I'll have to try that if I get a chance.

Psalm69, try dryfiring your gun just to get your trigger squeeze down. Once you are able to keep your sights from moving while pulling the trigger, then try it with ammo. If you're like me, you may have too jerky a squeeze and it is throwing you off. Try that and see if it works. I've gotta practice some more with mine so I can shoot double action. As far as grip goes, I cant help ya there since I haven't shot a blackhawk. Hope this helps ya some!
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Psalm69, welcome to TFF. Glad to have y'all aboard. Here's a little trick in shootin the Blackhawk. If you are right handed, when you grip the gun, roll your left pinky UNDER the grip. this will keep it from rollin in your hand. If lefty, use the other pinky.

Good luck and practice that trigger squeeze. Trick is to not know when it will go off! Slow and steady pull.

I believe GPostal or someone here had those special targets that depending on where you hit will tell you what you are doing wrong! It's in here somewhere!
  6. Bill

Bill New Member

For Psalm 66
    I shoot all my magnum revolvers two handed and single action.
    For right handed shooting:
    Crossing the left thumb at the base of the other thumb under the cocked hammer makes a firm yet steady hold. When cocking the hammer use the left thumb which allows the primary hand to stay in place. The fingers of my left hand overlap the fingers of the right hand....Works for me.
    Bill
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yup! Welcome to TFF psalm69! I brought Pistol shootin' 101 back to the the top of the forum for whoever may want ta read it...

'cuz i'm a helpful leetle sumbich...;)
  8. psalm69

psalm69 New Member

Thanks for the welcome and all the great advice. In fact when I get home from work I'm gonna down in the basement and give those suggestions a try. :D

Just kidding! I will get out to the range this weekend and try it out.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I've had a regular Redhawk since ~1990. Great gun, not quite the heavyweight of the siper, but still a nice shooter.
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have an early S&W 629 6" and love it. It shoots well and feels great in the hand.

Never shot another .44 Mag and never had the desire to.
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Marlin, ifn ya ain't shot a Ruger Blackhawk, U B missin out! Whole nudder experience! Just rolls in yer hand!
  12. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I have several .44 mags, the Smith & Wesson being my favorite.

I once owned a Redhawk, but traded that in for an Anaconda, then traded that for a Ruger Vaquero .44 mag and then I bought a Smith.

Smith & Wesson makes the best .44 mag revolver in the world, and they have the most tunable action.

Nothing feels like a S&W. I sound like a gall darn commercial.
  13. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Alaska Eh...?

I heard that if you carry a .44 in the woods in Alaska that it's probably a good idea to take off the front sight blade.

That way it hurts less when the grizzly takes it away from you and shoves it up your @$$.

HaHa.

Sorry, I know that everyone on the boards probably heard it, but that was in case anyone hadn't.

Later
  14. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

I own a couple of S&W M29-2's (one with a 6-1/2" barrel and the other with an 8-3/8" barrel) and have fired a Dan Wesson with the 8-inch barrel and a Super Blackhawk with a 7-1/2" barrel.

I liked the Dan Wesson at the range because its weight and strength make hot loads a joy to shoot. I wouldn't like to pack that weight around in the woods, though. I really enjoyed the Ruger and, in fact, was ready to buy it from my friend. The grips could be larger for me, but they are manageable. He backed out of the deal when he saw how much I liked it!:mad: The older Smiths are my favorite, though. Easy to carry, double-action, and smoooth.
  15. Craig

Craig New Member

Thanks potato:
    That is a new one to me.:D :D :D :D