best 9mm for CCW

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rglbegl, Mar 4, 2004.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I am the new guy on this board, so it is time to enlist your help.

My next pistol will be a 9mm. I need your opinions on what I should buy. It will primarily be used at the range, so decent accuracy would be nice, but it also needs to be small enough to use as a CCW.

1. I will not spend more than $1000 on it
    2. It MUST be reliable
    3. Must be 9mm
    4. SA/DA does not matter
    5. I hate Glocks ( no offense anyone, they just arent comfortable for me )

--With that in mind, please list your THREE favorites.--
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

How about a Springfield 1911-A1 in 9mm ?

Or even a Browning Hi-Power ?
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Shooter 45 recommended exactly what I would have.

I have a Browning Hi-Power Practical that I have carried for several years and shot extensively with no problems and great success. My wife has recently also done so and loves it.

We also have a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec .45, which is also a fantastic weapon.

I would highly recommend the Browning in 9mm if that is the calibre you wish. However, if I were to do it over, I would most likely buy it in .40 S&W.

Great to see you on TFF and we hope you will join us often.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  4. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Let's see.
    On the big side there is the famous Browning High Power.
    Getting smaller, but right on the edge of your price range is the Walther P5.
    The smallest and a really great gun is the Kahr MK9 Elite.

All three of these would fit your bill to a tee!! :D
  5. Whitefang81

Whitefang81 New Member

best 9 mm ccw gun?
    My dads got a STI BLS in 9 mm, its a 3 inch 1911 style gun in 9mm, he shoots 3 inches at 25 yards off hand
    check out STI's website
  6. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

For my CCW tastes, it has to be lightweight and small. That's why I carry a Taurus Millennium PT-111. It's the same size as a GLock 26 and looks like a Kel-Tec P-11 to me. It's DAO with a long heavy trigger, it's not long or heavy enough to be unmanageable though. It has a saftey on the slide that can be manipulated with your thumb easily. It also has a locking mechanism on the right side of the slide that will lock the gun from firing and the slide being worked. I carry mine in a De Santis 028 E1 IWB leather holster. It was about $350 NIB. If I had the $1000 limit you are talking about, I would definately look at the Kahr line of pistols. I have never fired one but I looked at one at a gun show and was very impressed with the size, weight, and trigger. Every thing I have read in my gun magazines has also been favorable about them. My $.02 worth. :D

Since this posting I sold my Millennium to purchase a Glock 19. It wasn't that I did not like the Millennium, it is a very nice series of pistols not to mention safe. The main reason I sold it was the grip was just a little too short in the hand and the 19 filled it up a little better since I do have large hands. Thumbs up for the Millennium and Glock 19!
    Last edited: May 21, 2004
  7. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

How about a Makarov (with a Pearce grip, of course)? Small, super-reliable, holds 8+1, accurate, and the 9x18M cartridge is outright evil inside 25yds. Plus it doesn't overpenetrate like the 9mm Luger, which is a really important consideration if you have to use it in a public place.

[​IMG]
  8. BigZig

BigZig New Member

9mm

My choice was the Springfield XD9. I also looked a Glocks but didn't like the "fit". When my dealer showed me this it was love at first sight. Never looked back.
  9. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Why stick with only 9mm??

Many other excellent choices in other calibers ya know.

ISB
  10. merc

merc New Member

Hi
    I like smaller pistols size wise for carry.
    Small thin pistols are .380 Bersa Thunder,
    9 mm S&W 6909
    Walther PP .32
  11. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

There Ya go, talking about calibers OTHER than what you originally said you were going to buy.

As I said many other VG choices.

How about a nice revolver with 2" barrel???

They conceal nicely.

Are affordable.

Come in respectable self defense calibers.

Easy to maintain.

Learning to use is simple.

MY $.02

ISB
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have always carried a larger weapon and still prefer, if it is a 9mm, my Borwning Hi-Power.

Like the fire power of the .45 better, though, and carry a full size 1911, instead, with a model 60 on the ankle for a back-up!
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

As a ccw pistol, the Browning is a poor choice, if you are smaller than Shaq, since the pistol is larger than most; It can be done, but you are really working uphill, here.
    The Kahr MK9 Elite is a neat little piece, but has no "second strike" capability, and is somewhat heavier than I would choose to carry, 24/7. Just the same, my MK9, a pre-production, dealers sample gun, has been absolutely reliable, and very (2"/ 25yds) accurate, which is darned hard to fault.
    If the caliber is writ in stone, a Smith & Wesson 949, the little 5 shot, airweight, 9mm revolver( Hammerless) would be hard to beat! It's less than half the weight of the Kahr, a third the bulk of the Browning, and if you can't get it done with 5, you can't improve with hardware; practice is the only answer.
  14. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

My choice is the Sig P239 - top in this picture. Very accurate , reliable , lightweight , easily concealed , very good trigger in both double and single action. Very simple takedown. Feels much better with Hogue grips.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  15. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I agree with hydrashock. The Taurus Millenium and the Kel Tec P11 are excellent choices.