The Firearms Forum banner

Best 9MM rifle for target shooting?

11K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  ral357 
#1 ·
I've recently become fond of target shooting. I do hunt on occasion and I have a Winchester Model 94 from around the 1940's. for that. But currently I am stuck with a problem. Although my .22 is fun and cheep to shoot (Its an old lever action Marlin, not sure of the exact model) it does not really feel exciting. It barely kicks and does not make much noise.. And although my Model 94 is much better in that regard (Louder, kickier, and overall more entertaining to shoot). It is FAR more expensive and admittedly is a bit too much to control if your shooting for long periods of time (Like my shoulder gets sore from it after a while) and also the ammo is very expensive. At local ranges its like $20 for a pack of 20 rounds which is ridiculous.. SO, I've been thinking about a rifle that takes pistol ammo. I rented some sort of Ruger rifle at a local range which took 9mm rounds. It was a dream to shoot. Didn't kick much, ammo was not too expensive ($12 to $20 for a pack of 50 and not a single one was a dud). So to finalize my question, what is the best 9mm semi-auto rifle I can buy with a reasonable price tag? ($0 - $400) Looking for any suggestions out there.

I must point out that I'm not a big gun nut, shooting is just something I occasionally do in my free time. So if I got any of my info or anything wrong then please feel free to correct me but please do so politely. :)

#3 ·
#6 ·
Kel-tec makes a little 9mm carbine that is in your price range
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/sub-2000/rifle/

There are not a lot of 9mm rifles out there and they are not what I would think of as target guns, fun guns, oh yea they can be fun.

When you say target rifle I think of either a center fire caliber or a .22lr. There are a lot of nice .22lr rifles in your price range.
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF

Well it looks like others have posted while I was looking up links, sorry about the duplication.

#8 ·
I would go for a .22 but I already got one, but like I said it feels kind of boring to shoot a .22 after a while I cant help but feel kinda board. I just want something heavier that is a bit louder and more impact. The way you put it was perfect, about it not being as much for targets as it was just more of a fun gun to use. :)

#17 ·
I owned one of these when they first hit the market. Mine took the 92F magazines and I had a bunch of them. They are really fun to shoot and a snap to maintain! You would not be disappointed.

I am doing everything I can to keep from ordering one of the ones on the link I put up. And I am going to tell you, if it took the 92F or 92FS magazines, I would have already ordered it.

#19 · (Edited)
If you want 9mm carbine there are actually a fair number out there..........http://www.best9mm.com/carbines/index.html
Then there are those no longer made but available on the used market. The Beretta storm would be a fine choice if you do not need"target rifle accuracy". I have the 45 cal and it's a 3" to 5" gun at 50 yards. It's a fine gun that is very easy to maintain, well made and as accurate as I expected for a 45cal carbine. The Keltec sub2000 is a cool gun but not exactly what I would choose as a "target" gun. It's not as accurate as the Beretta. The sights are abysmal and that's being generous. It's main attraction is the ability to fold in half making it easy to bring a carbine when a long gun would otherwise not be practical. It's easier to shoot quickly with greater accuracy beyond 15 yards than a handgun, that is it's intended function. Im sure it will hold up reasonably well if used as intended, carried more than shot. To me it's a defensive gun not a sporter. Between those two you get more quality, accuracy and useful life from the Beretta for about $150 more.
If your not completely sold on a 9mms semi there are other options that would be more target rifle accurate in pistols calibers. Ruger makes a bolt action 357 mag the 77/357. It's a bit more money but will likely shoot smaller groups at 100 yards than the 9mms carbins will at 50. It can fire the mildest 38 specials as well as the hottest full power 357 mags.
If making cans dance at 50 yards is the goal the Beretta will serve you well. It also can be helpful if something goes bump in the night. The 357 Mag Ruger bolt gun would be more versatile as a sporting gun with greater range and accuracy as well as a wide spectrum of rounds suitable for knocking cans around up close..........punching holes in paper at a 100 yards. Not a first choice for self defense.
Take your time and enjoy the hunt. Weigh the advantages of each choice. A friend of mine always said " I never regretted buying the best". We all have financial boundaries that limit our choices but I have found its often more expensive in the long run to buy something that will just do when for a bit more something that works better can be acquired.

#21 ·
I would shoot the Keltec Sub 2000 before you buy one for target shooting. The bolt is heavy and comes though the stock and cheek weld and you can really feel it in your jaw when you shoot it.
I used some pipe insulation and made a cheek pad for mine but eventually sold it.
It was accurate and reliable, but I wanted something more substantial so I ended up getting the Beretta Storm and I love it. Good solid gun and great shooter. Perfect platform for optics also.

#31 ·
not a modern semi auto but...

i have a Spanish destroyer bolt action magazine fed officers carbine in 9mm...

superbly finished finely figured birch stock...

high end bluing...

very little use or wear apparent.

it will put 20 rounds into a standard sized paper plate at 100yds from a bagged bench-rest...

smooth action - idiot proof reliability - quick change magazines...

best regards, Mike.

#33 ·
While a 9MM M1carbine would be pretty cool .....$600 for a Chiappa, I would pass. For that money you can get a Beretta storm with its proven reliability. If a carbine was on my short list the Auto Ordnance for a bit more $ would get the nod. Granted it only comes in 30 but the 30 is better carbine round than the 9mm in every way except cost and availability of ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.