Best all-around "assault" rifle.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by cl00bie, Nov 8, 2008.

1. cl00bie

cl00bie New Member

I'm looking to buy an "assault" rifle before any bans go into effect. I'm looking for the best all around caliber in a high cap semi-auto for anti-personnel, hunting, target shooting and cost of center fire ammo (which may change drastically in the future).

I only want to buy one because I'm cheap.

Suggestions?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You don't want much, do you? :)

Cost of ammo - currently it is 7.62 x 39. So, an AK.
    Cost of magazines - probably also an AK.
    Anti-personnel - depends on the distance. 7.62 x 39 seems to work pretty good, worldwide.
    Target shooting - either an AR or a M1A.
    Hunting - what are you hunting? Elk? I would advise against a 5.56 :p Any big game (and that includes pigs), I would want at least 30 caliber. You are bound to get some seriously strange looks taking any EBR out into the deer-woods. With most of them, anyway, the sights leave much to be desired. If you shoot for a man's chest, and hit him in the thigh, at least he is shot and is out of combat. That's what they were designed for. Shooting for a deer heart-lung area, and hit him in the belly ain't real good. Of all the military-type semi auto rifles out there, if I was going deer hunting with one it would be the M1A. And neither the gun, the magazines nor the ammo is anywhere near cheap.
  3. CTM

CTM New Member

i think the sks is the most gun for the money
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I thought this same thing earlier this week, and I went with an AK (Romanian).

You can get an AK and a couple CASES of ammo for about the same as you're going to spend on a quality AR. If money weren't such an issue for me, I'd have gotten the AR in a heartbeat. Actually, if money weren't the issue, I'd probably have gotten an FAL. But ammo cost there is significantly higher.

An AK is not going to be as accurate. I wouldn't hunt with it (except maybe now and then to get rid of varmits when I'm in places where it doesn't matter). But it's a lot of gun for the money.

If you don't care about detachable magazines, the SKS is also a very good choice, though the price of an SKS near me has been about 80% the cost of an AK, so if you can't get a deal, I'd get the AK.
  5. pawn

pawn Active Member

+1 for SKS, great entry level semi-auto rifle and a generally under-rated weapon

Several hundred more $$$ will get you an AK. To me, the only thing the AK has on the SKS is detachable magazines. Yes there are functional aftermarket "duck bills" for SKS.. my opinion is they take a bit more time to connect/disconnet. Modifications can be made to an SKS to take AK mags but the cost of having this done is prohibitive.

Having said that, SKS offers much for comparitively less dollars invested.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree, the SKS is better. But he said >best all around caliber in a high cap semi-auto <. SKS is ten rounds, unless you do the conversion, and like Pawn said, that's iffy and costly.
  7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but here is my .02

Partially in preparation for the election, I picked up a Robinson Armaments XCR a few months ago.

It was designed to compete in the SOCOM SCAR competition, but was disqualified on a technicality (One of the requirements was that blank firing adapters be shipped with the rifles. They were shipped separately. Thus: disqualified. Not the slightest look at the capabilities / function of the carbine by the military).

It's not just a modified version of the M-16/M-4 platform, but a brand new weapons system. It is designed to be extremely modular and caliber changes can be done with very few common tools in seconds. Just change the barrel and bolt carrier group. The XCR-L can be chambered in 5.56 NATO, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, and 7.62x39. The XCR-M (ETA end of year) is to be chambered in 7.62 NATO. It is piston operated (with a tooless adjustable gas system), disassembles without the need of tools and is extremely reliable. It was conceived with ergonomics, modularity and reliability as priorities. Fit and finish is outstanding and the few who have encountered issues have found Robinson to be a pleasure to work with.

Most people haven't even heard of Robinson, or the XCR, but the company has been around for a few years now and there are getting to be more and more XCR's out there. I get funny looks from people at the range who wonder what it is. Most people who want to act like they know more than they do call it a Sig.

The biggest negative is the price; currently around $1400.

I'm not a SOCOM operator, but I love mine! And it's designed, manufactured and built right here in UT, USA.

Attached Files:

8. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Pick the one you think is prettiest and feels the most comfty at the shoulder. They are all fantastic guns. If they weren't they wouldn't have been accepted into military use worldwide. I like the M1, myself, though a bit pricey.

Don't forget about the non "necessary for hunting, self-defense, and protecting freedoms" weapons like the brownings and remingtons.....
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First off guys, you are going to purchase an assault rifle unless you get the ticket from the Fed. Governmnet! The guns you are talking about are not assault rifles!

An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine firing ammunition with muzzle energies intermediate between those typical of pistol and high-powered rifle ammunition. Assault rifles are the standard small arms in most modern armies, having largely replaced or supplemented larger, more powerful battle rifles, such as the World War II-era M1 Garand and SVT-40. Examples of assault rifles include the AK-47, the M16 rifle, and the Steyr AUG.
    Semi-automatic rifles, though confusingly classified in the USA as assault weapons by the now defunct 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, are not assault rifles as they are not selective fire. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines also do not meet the definition of an assault rifle.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Alpo, I couldn't agree with you more. My baby is my avatar.
  11. CTM

CTM New Member

if you try the tapco 20 round polymer mags you will never buy any other kin again. i have 6 right now and they feed perfectly
  12. vetz76

vetz76 New Member

Here is my NON-assault option:

Attached Files:

13. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

When the SHTF an SKS will get you any "assault" rifle you want.....:p
  14. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

guess it also depends on your state (ex.: NJ allows sks but not ak's)...to ansower the thread's question-the ar is a better choice for the hunting, but the ak is better for everything else and it's a ton easlier to clean and care for...very inexpensive too-got mine with 2 mags and a bunch of other stuff for $400
  15. cln122600

cln122600 New Member

I was in the same boat as you cl00bie. Wasn't sure what to buy with the ban coming and all.? I put $ down on a Kel-Tec SU 16, then come to find out it's not that high end, cost $599. So I went back and picked out an M1A Socom 2 - from what I hear extremely high end, cost $1850. The ammo is pricie $1.05 a round but well worth it. If I was to resell it I would get my money back with no problem, the SU 16, not too sure.