Best all-around "assault" rifle.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by cl00bie, Nov 8, 2008.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Lots of good advice above. The only thing I would add is to choose a calibre which is very available where you I live, avoiding anything foreign. Given your broad requirement and one gun spec, my suggestion would be 7.62x51.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008
  2. sewerman

sewerman New Member

+++1 on the FN-FAL!
    i too carried the M16,M16a1 & M16a2 and i'm not really a fan of the 5.56 or the rifle.
    i became infatuated with after market AR platforms recently but had a bad
    experience wih poor customer service from the company i chose, so i just decided to purchase a FN-FAL and couldn't be happier:)
  3. VZ58

VZ58 New Member

Hi, I'm from Canada...eh, and have a CZ858 Tac-2 and the new VZ58 Sporter Super Short. ( google them ) Here, the CZ is classed as Non-Restricted ( at least an 18.5" barrel ) and can be used pretty much anywhere. The VZ is Restricted ( 7.5" barrel) and is subject to our rules for pistols etc. which means you have to join a gun club and can only transport it to or from there or to meets. We are only allowed 5 shots in the 30 round mags and they are "pinned" at that depth. ( A really hard-to-remove pop rivet ) but you go from legal to "prohibited" with that pin removed. They are the Czech "AK" as the Russians allowed them to make their own "AK" and persuaded them to use the 7.62x39 round. They only look alike...the only things that interchange are the ammo and slings. They are way better made and more accurate. When you have a gunsmith tell you they are put together very well...and it's an over-the-counter assault rifle, that's good enough for me. One caveat though, use the ( more expensive ) non-corrosive ammo unless you REALLY like cleaning your weapons. There are too many drawbacks when using the cheap stuff. These weapons are strong, reliable, LIGHT, even the mags are 1/2 the weight of an AK mag and are a lot of bang-for-the-buck. Speaking of which, the CZ is under $700 and the VZ is over $900.....and well worth it. Try then out.

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      71.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  4. armoredman

armoredman New Member

vz-58 is a very accurate rifle in 7.62x39, lighter by a pound overthe AKM clones we have down here, and mags are available cheap from Czechpoint. get the whole kit there, excellent rifles.

Only thing in common with the AK is the caliber, BTW.
  5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

come on we can find older threads to hash over!
  6. VZ58

VZ58 New Member

Sorry, didn't know there was a "best before date"...and as you can see, I just joined because I googled " Best Assault Rifle" , this came up and youse 'mericans seem to have a real thang for the cheap and plentiful AK's ( like RedJacket seems to ) or the even cheaper SKS's. There are way better alternatives available, now. The company who makes mine are now called CSA ( Czech Small Arms ) but I'm guessing Czechpoint is the US importer, right ? My point about the corrosive, cheap ammo is that it can cause the same problems the original M-16's had to deal with in Vietnam. Stoppages and fouling due to the powder / primers / non-chromed barrels / gas system, etc. I grew up ( 14 years old ) firing the FN-FAL ( semi-auto only) in Army Cadets and when I joined our military, used the full-auto C1 version and to a lesser extent the C2, which had a 30 round versus 20 round mag, a heavy barrel and built in bipod / fore grip and was a couple pounds heavier. It was our version of the M-60. These were great guns...very reliable, accurate to 300 meters, adjustable gas control and super easy to field strip blindfolded....just a little on the heavy side...like an AK. We are not allowed any AK's or clones in Canada, not even a Saiga as they are BASED on the AK. But...even with our old, soon-to-be-changed gun laws, we ARE allowed to have the CZ VZ's because they are not AK based...and that is a good thing. I just love "Shorty" ...( add 2' for the muzzle brake that isn't needed ) it'a a high-velocity sub-machine gun for all intents and purposes and I never thought I could own something like that, here. There might be better, higher end equipment out there but not much cam get you the bang-for-the buck these can. Tight clearances, light , accurate, reliable...isn't that what you want ? Works for me.... ( and besides, we can start a whole new up-dated discussion, now )
  7. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

The Romainan AK will digest just about any round on the market regardless of where manufactured. I have heard that some of the domestically produced AK's will only feed american ammo reliablyl. It is inexpensive and reliable. The 7.62 X 35 is just slightly under the 30-30 bastically and will take down a deer with a well placed shot. I have seen scoped Ak's keep the grouping in a coffee cup at 100 yards. For an all around survival rifle it is hard to beat.

Neverhome
  8. VZ58

VZ58 New Member

I've heard that about the Romanian AK's. One reason for that could be the loose clearances on most / all AK's & SKS's, depending where or when they were built. They can cycle a lot of sub-standard ammo and keep on going without much maintenance but that can bite you after a while. ( really jammed up " failure to extract" etc ) For what it's worth, the CZ factory sends along a 100 meter,4 shot test-fire target when you open your gun package up and the group is pretty much the same with open sights. I will agree that the AK is a pretty good, all-around weapon...for what it's designed to do. It's killed a LOT of people all over the world. Hell, Mozambique features it on their flag. Thanks for the info.
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

10. VZ58

VZ58 New Member

Yes, very good rifles as well. I can't remember if they have an adjustable gas regulator, like the FAL's do. Even used ones can be expensive now, which is why I'd stick with an AK or CZ. ( parts availability and ammo costs as well ) Both the Galil ( based on the AK / M-16, now replaced by the Tavor ) and the South African R-4 ( based on the Galil and replaced the FAL ) are good too....AND combat proven. Bottom line is, there are a number of excellent military weapons out there and like another poster said, the armies of those countries thought enough of them to adopt them. You have to find the balance between reliability, price, ammo, availability, legality, etc to suit your needs. In that respect, it would have to be the AK, though, "cheap and plentiful"....anywhere in the world, right ?
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yall wanna know what the best assault weapon in the world is???
  12. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

possibly not a firearm at all? :confused:
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Smart you are.. Yours is in better shape than most..;)

Attached Files:

14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just needs training and education and with a sharp one any weapon would be a viable assault weapon..

;)
  15. VZ58

VZ58 New Member

..yes, your point is taken...but that's been a given and has gone without saying for me since I was old enough to shoot...properly. Be that as it may, the question was...the best assault rifle out there. It turns out that you could probably even train a chimp in some 3rd world hell-hole to operate and kill with an AK....simple, reliable and easy to maintain in the field. When that fails, you have an 8 pound club...like any other rifle without ammo. For that matter, some would say that it doesn't take much brain power to pull a trigger and that's been proven countless times.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011