The Firearms Forum banner

Best all-around "assault" rifle.

64K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  VZ58 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy an "assault" rifle before any bans go into effect. I'm looking for the best all around caliber in a high cap semi-auto for anti-personnel, hunting, target shooting and cost of center fire ammo (which may change drastically in the future).

I only want to buy one because I'm cheap.

Suggestions?

#27 ·
The Romainan AK will digest just about any round on the market regardless of where manufactured. I have heard that some of the domestically produced AK's will only feed american ammo reliablyl. It is inexpensive and reliable. The 7.62 X 35 is just slightly under the 30-30 bastically and will take down a deer with a well placed shot. I have seen scoped Ak's keep the grouping in a coffee cup at 100 yards. For an all around survival rifle it is hard to beat.

Neverhome

#28 ·
I've heard that about the Romanian AK's. One reason for that could be the loose clearances on most / all AK's & SKS's, depending where or when they were built. They can cycle a lot of sub-standard ammo and keep on going without much maintenance but that can bite you after a while. ( really jammed up " failure to extract" etc ) For what it's worth, the CZ factory sends along a 100 meter,4 shot test-fire target when you open your gun package up and the group is pretty much the same with open sights. I will agree that the AK is a pretty good, all-around weapon...for what it's designed to do. It's killed a LOT of people all over the world. Hell, Mozambique features it on their flag. Thanks for the info.

#30 ·
hk 91, g3
Yes, very good rifles as well. I can't remember if they have an adjustable gas regulator, like the FAL's do. Even used ones can be expensive now, which is why I'd stick with an AK or CZ. ( parts availability and ammo costs as well ) Both the Galil ( based on the AK / M-16, now replaced by the Tavor ) and the South African R-4 ( based on the Galil and replaced the FAL ) are good too....AND combat proven. Bottom line is, there are a number of excellent military weapons out there and like another poster said, the armies of those countries thought enough of them to adopt them. You have to find the balance between reliability, price, ammo, availability, legality, etc to suit your needs. In that respect, it would have to be the AK, though, "cheap and plentiful"....anywhere in the world, right ?

#34 ·
Just needs training and education and with a sharp one any weapon would be a viable assault weapon..

;)

#35 · (Edited)
..yes, your point is taken...but that's been a given and has gone without saying for me since I was old enough to shoot...properly. Be that as it may, the question was...the best assault rifle out there. It turns out that you could probably even train a chimp in some 3rd world hell-hole to operate and kill with an AK....simple, reliable and easy to maintain in the field. When that fails, you have an 8 pound club...like any other rifle without ammo. For that matter, some would say that it doesn't take much brain power to pull a trigger and that's been proven countless times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.