best ammo for a ruger 9

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mirage154, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mirage154

mirage154 New Member

what is the best ammo for a ruger 9mm automatic? I have used some generic types but get a lot of FTE ??? is the amount of grain in the bullet a cause? too little = not enough power to fully blow back the slide and completely eject?? please forgive the stupidity of my question, but I am a newbie to this world of guns and want to be able to depend on my weapon... one that jams every other round is just not going to work....
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

odd you're having problems with a ruger . they are known to be very reliable with various types of ammo. is the gun new ? what are you using now? some guns require a "break in " period. if new try using ball ammo until it breaks in. after that anything should work well. by ball ammo i mean fmj full metal jacketed non hollow point use 115 grain or the 124/125 grain stay away from the heavier stuff ie 147 grain at leat until you get the bugs worked out
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Limp wristing. Get a firm grip on the pistol before firing and see if the FTE goes away..
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

:D good point but i'm always reluctant to say any guy has a limp wrist :p
  5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I would like to know the answer to the same question since I just picked up a P95 and haven't got to try more than 8 rounds,and I did get one to stick while ejecting with blazer brass 115s.But I have heard that 2 people can have identical guns,and one will like one kind of ammo,but the other gun won't like that kind so there is really only one way to know what it likes-experimenting.I will probably go with winchester,remington or hornady since I know I can trust them.
  6. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

I second that. Try a firm grip first. If that doesnt work I'd have the ejector looked at. If you were using steel cased ammo I would say that is the problem, but regular brass cased ammo should not produce FTE's.
  7. 38 special

38 special New Member

I had a ruger p95 also. Never had a jam with it with ANY ammo It shot the cheapest to the best ammo with no problem. I traded it for an ruger sr9 just because I liked the way the sr9 fit my hand and how it pointed better than the p95. No problem with the sr9 either except the trigger pull sucks.
  8. Lost One

Lost One New Member

JL4C there is no problems with Ruger paying the shipping both ways on their stuff. I have had to send two guns back to them and before you even ask them they are letting you know that they will be sending an email to you with a UPS printable label that you put on the box that pays for the shipping to them and they pay the return shipping as well.

The first gun I had to send back was over 15 years ago, a Ruger Red label, the gun had to be sent back to them several times until they got it right but they paid shipping both ways every time (reimbursed my shipping on the Red Label to them). The second gun was the Ruger SR9 that I just purchased and they emailed me the printable shipping label. So there is no problems with Ruger paying the shipping.
  9. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I've never had a single malf with my 1998 vintage P95. It likes everything I feed it.
  10. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

I am like everyone else here in that I do not understand why you are having so much issue with the P95. Mine functions flawlessly!

Ninja I would say that after watching your U-tube video that one thing you might do is follow through on your trigger pull and not jerk it so much. Let the gun go into battery on the next round THEN reset the trigger. That might help. Also make sure you are using some good solvents for cleaning like Hoppes and some good lubes like Rem Oil or Break Free and leave the WD40 for door hinges. WD40 is good but it ain't the best for firearm, just MHO...;)
  11. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I can't say, I've never had a Ruger that didn't go bang every time I pulled the trigger. :)
  12. kda

kda New Member

I'm still wondering if there isn't something going on with these current Ruger 9 mm pistols, at least the P95. OK, I've had my Rugers for several years and find them totally dependable, but just a few months ago I encouraged a friend to by a new P95, based on my good experiences.

Immediately, he had FTE (cycling) problems. After learning to load his magazines only up to 12 rounds and switching to Winchester White Box (one brand that shoots OK) he can now count on his P95 functioning every time he pulls the trigger.

But I agree with JohnLives4Christ that this is really not true to the image of rugged reliability associated with Ruger pistols. Hopefully these issues will be something that owners of newer models will be able to work their way through with a few hundred rounds down the pipe. I know my friend doesn't shoot his P95 much now ... he just doesn't seem to want the bother and shoots his Glock G 19 and G27, or his .22 rifle when he needs to save a few bucks on ammo.

If his were the only report of FTE (cycling) problems with current Ruger samples, I'd dismiss it as a bad sample, but that isn't the case.

Still, if that Ruger were mine, I'd try loading the magazines to less than full capacity and a buy couple of different brands of factory ammo. Then I'd shoot several hundred rounds down range to see if the problem didn't work itself out. It would be a shame to give up on the pistol without doing at least that much.