Best Ammo for early Ruger Standard

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Teejay9, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I've read where the Ruger standard doesn't like the Hyper- Velocity stuff like Stingers, Viper, etc. Mine is an old one, 5 digit s/n, wood grips, made in 1953. What about Mini-mags? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks TJ
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've not fired any of the hi-power stuff in mine, but I haven't found any standard stuff it doesn't like. Perhaps some others can give us some input.

Pops
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The Standard Model is the original fixed sight pistol, with the 9-shot magazine (often called a Mark I, but the Mark I is a target gun). Mine is a Mark I Bull Barrel, which is the same gun, except with a heavier barrel and target sights. I've used Stingers in it, many times, with no problems. Mini Mag solids are its ammo of choice. I, generally, feed it either Mini Mags or Federal Lightnings (lately renamed "Champions").
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Thanks for the input, I'm on the right page. TJ
  5. Doug Bowser

Doug Bowser New Member

I use ELEY Sport or Centurion HV ammo in my Ruger. It is much more accurate than any of the local brands I find at Wallyworld

Doug
  6. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    In my circa 1970 Mark I standard barrel I tested about a dozen of the standard production .22 ammos without going to the high dollar low velocity target ammo and the winchester super x outperformed the others by a wide margin with no flyers . At 15 yds with my hand rested on a bench it would cut a pattern the size of a quarter each and every time .
  7. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I want to get a Ruger .22 Auto so I'm glad to hear it likes Winchester Super-X because I have a couple of bricks.
  8. Renee

Renee New Member

I've owned all the Ruger Marks, I, II, and III. My first Mark I, Bull Barrel, 51/2, was purchased in 1971 for $49.95 & they threw in the walnut grips.
    The ones I've owned will shoot anything & everything. I believe the Stinger shouldn't be used because the bullet or brass is too long. I could be wrong on this.
    The Standard, made before the Mark I, should also shoot anything if it's in good working order. In the mid 1950's I don't remember Hyper velocity. I don't think it matters. The Ruger Mark's are very well built, since 1949.

Renee
  9. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

My understanding is that the "hypervelocity" ammo runs at pressures no higher than "high velocity" ammo. Standard weight .22lr slugs are 40 grains while the hyper velocity are lighter slugs-no harder on the gun that fires them.
  10. David Pearce

David Pearce New Member

I have a Ruger Standard (1953) and use the CCI Stinger, have not had a single miss fire or jam. The clearances are close in the magazine but it has never failed even during rapid fire.
  11. mike123

mike123 New Member

Both mini-mag and remington thunderbolt shoot great out of my ruger standard. Don't use remington gold, I can't get through 1 magazine without it jamming. I think as long as you have good quality magazines, it should be able to shoot most ammo as long as it is high velocity.
  12. mike123

mike123 New Member

13. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Have not fired my Standard a lot, think its about a 1965 vintage. I used Blazer .22s with no problems, solid points. It fired fine. I also don't remember any issues with Windchester or Federal in the hollow points.

Mike123-- If you have a gun that can fire those thunderbolts, don't ever sell it!!! Its a great gun.:D