Best ammo?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by wvugunnut, Apr 5, 2011.

1. wvugunnut

wvugunnut New Member

Just got my concealed carry permit and bought a S&W M&P.45. Haven't shot any .45s other than a 1911 and that was with FMJ's so what is the best self-defense ammo? I am also a reloader so if there are any HP bullets let me know. :D
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

You'll find plenty of opinions on that here. My personal one is either 230gr Hydrashoks or some bonded Ranger ammo. From what I have experienced, the heavier loads kill better than the lighter +P rounds. Granted, there was no clothing or other material for the rounds to go through. I have shot MANY hogs with my 1911 and I have had to use more of the +P rounds to kill pigs than the 230 gr rounds.

A lot of the defense loads these days will do a good job though, but the Hydrashoks and Ranger ammo are my picks. They will all be expensive, but dont let that bother you. You are only going to have to use a few of them once you get some fed through to make sure they function.
  3. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

My choice is Hydrashoks or Golden Saber, welcome aboard!
  4. wvugunnut

wvugunnut New Member

Thank you, it has been a long 21 years. Never felt happier and/or safer.
  5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

No-one has mentioned reloading yet. There are a huge number of JHP bullets available for .45 ACP. Have a look around the reloading section at
    http://www.midwayusa.com/
    I would suggest either the Remingtom Golden Sabers, or Hornady XTP's. For general practice fodder, check the Rainier plated bullets. I've fired thousands of them from my Glocks, and they are fine bullets that don't foul the bore.
    I suggest that you keep plenty of your defense rounds loaded up and stored, but also keep a lot more of your "general use" loads. They may not be as potent as your defense rounds, but in a worst case scenario, any ammo is better than a sharp stick!
  6. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member