Best Auto Pistol for CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Best Pistol for CCW

1. The Mini Glocks, 26, 27, or 33

33 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 1911 pattern .45 autos

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Small .380s such as the Sig P-230 or P232

40 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. DAO or DA/SA autos like the H&K USP or Ruger PTs

32 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Overall, what is the best semi-automatic pistol for concealed carry in the opinion of the membership? Please note I'm not talking about caliber here, but rather the pistols themselves. I realize this is a very difficult question to answer definitively because no single weapon will fit all possible concealed carry circumstances, yet I think the question does have a degree of relevance nonetheless. Assume you are a new CCW holder, that you have a good deal of background experience with firearms, and that you have sufficient funds available to purchase pretty much whatever you want. What would you choose as the optimum carry pistol and why? I've set up some common choices in the poll above, but please don't feel limited by those. Also, please limit your responses to pistols in this thread and note that I have set up a similar one for revolvers for those of you who prefer those.
  2. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I am a 1911 fan. It's my main carry piece.

With that said, I still voted for a small .380, as it can be carried much more often than the 1911 that I own. The "mini GLOCKs" just don't hack it for me, as they are *still* too big for some of the situations I find myself in. Face it, a 1911 Officer's Model clone with a 4" barrel is pretty small for a gun that fires a full-caliber pill, .45 *or* 9mm Luger. The .380 (aka "9mm Kurz") I can stick in a pocket and carry without having to add a vest or jacket.

I also like the CZ75B better than any of the other DA/SA autos.
  3. Glockgod

Glockgod New Member

Even though I love my Glock 26 I still think the best CCW pistol is the one you have with you when you need it. I find that I'm more likely to tuck my Kel-Tec into my pocket and go than to stop and put on a holster and the 26.
  4. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

I know that this will suprise everybody, but I have to go with the Glock 26. :eek: :D I've carried it on my waist, inside my waist ban, my ankle, bellyban, but my favorite place is my strong side front pocket, especially when I wear overalls. I've done it with pleated dockers, but you need a good belt.
  5. WhiteRhino

WhiteRhino New Member

I like my 1911s and my 340PD as a pocket gun, but my Kahr PM40 in a fist tuckable IWB holster gets the most use by far. I like the fact that it is a .40, and that it doesn't print at all. After the recommended break-in period I have found it to be extremely reliable and very accurate for being as small as it is.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  6. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

Larger frame autos are great and the .40s&w, .45 acp etc., pack a great punch I have a Sig 229 in .357 sig from home use. But I really must stay with my Kel-Tec P3 in .380 acp for carry use, it's a great LITTLE pistol. Very light and thin, I forget I have it on me sometimes.
  7. Kahr

Kahr New Member

Med-Large frame auto. Smith 5906 what I carry.
  8. Jay

Jay New Member

Ignore what anyone else has until you've had a chance to get your hands on every pistol you possibly can. Then when you find the few that will "feel right" to you, do your quality research, and get opinions on those from owners, and try to get hold of those to shoot. THEN ... YOU decide which is the best for you.

Many folks wouldn't carry my CCW firearm across the street. But, they don't have to...... I do.

No offense to anyone, but "what's the best" is usually too subjective for me to offer anyone else advice on.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Jay hit the nail on the head here...And I might add, figure out how you are going to carry it and see if the shop owner will let you walk around with it on, squat, kneel and most importantly find a chair with a back on it to sit in with your weapon concealed because in my opinion behind the wheel of a viehicle is the hardest on most people, alot of the holsters may look real good and even feel good in a standing position, but when you jump in the truck and feel the hammer dig into your back you'll be left hoping the guy does refunds.

Crpdeth
  10. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I carried a few pistols, including a 1911 for the longest time, and even unholstered it on some fellows once, but for a while it's mostly been a PPK/S .380, so that got my vote.
  11. Green

Green New Member

Scudrunner has a good one. So do I. The Kel-Tec .380 is just as he stated. And yes,I forget I have on me at times. Not always a good thing though. Presence of mind is always good to have.
  12. navyvet

navyvet New Member

i carry 1911 full size :eek:
  13. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

I carry a 1911 due to the slimness of the pistol.

Its a bit heavy but a good gunbelt is key.
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A Glock in 45acp
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  15. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Amen brother.

BTW: There ain't no hammer on a GLOCK. They only put them on old fashioned guns...LOL :rolleyes: