Best Auto Pistol for CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Best Pistol for CCW

1. The Mini Glocks, 26, 27, or 33

33 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 1911 pattern .45 autos

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Small .380s such as the Sig P-230 or P232

40 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. DAO or DA/SA autos like the H&K USP or Ruger PTs

32 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

That's what yer finger is fer...trigger control :rolleyes:

I read back in the old days cops and robbers would cut the spur off their hammers cuz it caught on clothing when carried concealed. Called the contraption a 'Bobbed Hammer". From what I read, it is still popular. I can't figure out why folks would cut off something they think they need. :) :D
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. SUPERMAN_45

SUPERMAN_45 New Member

I vote 1911 because it's my everyday carry for the past 10 years. :)
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

An opposed thumb separates us from lower primates, the wisdom of when to use it, from the thugs, on the 6 or 10 O'Clock news.
    I prefer the 1911 pattern pistol, above all others, because it works, 100%, and because, in my feeble fashion,I understand the how and why, that it works, allowing me to keep it running that way.
    'Bobbed hammers', on a wheel gun, allow quicker presentation; since a revolver, as a defensive weapon, is shot double action only, nothing is lost by the modification: used by a serious and practiced shooter, group size,at defensive ranges, is essentially the same as a good single action auto. None, save the ME, will ever notice a difference.
    Just my .02. Terry
  4. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Terry - No machine is 100% reliable.

I see more failures on 1911 type pistols at IDPA matches than all others combined. IMHO this usually is a lack-of-maintenance or hand loading problem. I know a lot of guys do their own gun smithing and this causes a lot of problems as well.

Second is Wheel Guns. This is usually caused by amateur gun smithing as well.

The bottom line is carry what you have confidence in and hope you never need to use it.

Shoot Straight and often.
    Jef
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

ISB, the intellect in me agrees with your opening statement; my gut has a problem with it, however.
    As to IDPA, IPSC, or other 'Gungames', let us consider the facts that support your statement. While any other gun runs in an 'out of the box' condition, an 'out of the box', or modified substantially, 1911 (or other single action aut, I believe), pistol, runs in a higher "racegun" kind of class, separate from the others, with IDPA; with IPSC, 1911 pattern guns are the vast majority, even now.
    In IPSC, there is substantial prize money, etc, encouraging taking a risk, for the dollar, with no blood loss eminent!
    In IDPA, there's not nearly so much money, but again, it's a 'gun game', and no blood is lost.
    It's not unusual to run 200 rounds through a 'game gun', or, even, many more, between cleanings, and the, only a 'field strip'!
    My little Colt saw over 1000 rounds, flawlessly, before it went 'into service' as a carry piece, and is never carried with any mag that was not in the proving lot of mags; in this 'game', there is NO prize money, but always the risk of blood loss, and is to be considered differently, IMHO.
    Every time it goes to the range, and is fired, it is detail stripped, and cleaned to 'as new' condition. So, when it goes back 'in service', conditions are exactly the same, every time, which is far from the life of most 'game guns'.
    While in the military, every time I got back to Ft Bragg, I was detailed to the XVIII Abn Corps, or the 5th Army, pistol team, in the shop(s), or as a 'fill in' shooter, until I shipped back overseas. I suppose it might have something to do with a pistol I reworked for a Sergeant-Major, at the JFKSPECWAR Center, in '69, with which he shot extremely well, until his death; The fact remains, for one who understands the M1911, it is the most reliable pistol ever built.
    I shoot the previously mentioned "lightest 5-shot Smith Revolver I can find", left handed, exclusively; for one good reason: I've shot the 1911, in the other hand, for 40 years, and close to 1,100,000 rounds, with my right, successfully, and don't wish to mess with apparent success, in muscle memory!
    Your statement is absolutely correct, as I said in the beginning, if I allow these provisions: First, you can live long enough to shoot long enough to arrive at the statistical premise: "Nothing is 100% functional", and Second, that you are allowed to shoot a weapon, of my preparation, beyond reccomended maintainance intervals, and count those results as statistically significant.
    Lacking those two provisions, there are at least twenty, and likely many more, smiths than can give to you by these standards, a 100% gun, many at a price even I could afford!
    No hard feelings, just excellent guns! Terry
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  6. dbl tap

dbl tap New Member

The bigger 1911's, sigs and Glocks are great choices for the cooler states. Here in Florida the small .380 sigs and (Kel-tec's on a budget) are better choices. I know several people that get there ccw and go through holster after holster trying to find the comforatable and discrete way to carry and end up leaving it in the car for the thief to get. I have to clean my carry weapon monthly if I fire it or not.
  7. kings

kings New Member

many a good answer posted. as many have said, the best pistol to carry is the one you feel comfortable with and the one you take with you.

but just to add to the mix, my two choices right now are the bersa 380 and the glock 31. both are carried strong side in a uncle mikes inside-the-pants holster. mind you, i carry the full size glock easier then most because of my size(6'5", 250 lbs), but still find it completely concealable with the uncle mikes holster, even with just a tee-shirt and shorts.

and as has been said, i test fire ALL my mags with the ammo i use(double tap) for carry before they go into use.

cheers,

kings
  8. nitrox

nitrox New Member

I prefer the walther P99 or the SW99 for my carry.
    the safety feature is great ,the design makes it so compact its easy to conceal and ease to take out, it holds alot of ammo, i can choice my own grip size and I dont have to be a slave to it due to its material.
    I used it in our monthly club shoot.
    Its my carry and my competiton gun in one.
  9. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I like the mini glocks although mine is a Glock 30 in 45 acp. 10 rounds of
    45 in a smaller package. I never really liked Glocks until I got this gun. I was impressed with the accuracy right away.
  10. I have a G30 also Iron, and I agree, it's a great pistol. My only complaint with it is the size of the grip because my hands are rather small. I've been thinking about getting a G36 with the smaller grips for carry purposes.
  11. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

The grip is a little wider but fotunately it fits me pretty well.
    The G36 might be better for you. They are great pistols. Like
    I said, I never really liked them until I got the G30. I was so
    impressed with it I got a G17 also.
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I picked up a XD today and it is comfortable, feels right, and fits my hand great.
  13. rondba

rondba New Member

Carry the largest cal. you can shoot well and the largest frame you can comfortabley conceal. Carry it until you find one you can shoot better.
  14. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Wellcome rondba!!! And well said!!!
  15. I second the motion! :D

I've followed your guideline, rondba, for quite a number of years. The only downside is that I keep finding new handguns that I think might be better and then I buy them! Gets expensive, but what the heck, it's only money! :D ;)
  16. rmeron

rmeron New Member

I have an Astra A-75 in 45 ACP DA/SA,it only has a decocker,one of the easiest pistols to use.Just remember it's loaded all the time,aim and squeeze the trigger.
  17. shooter

shooter New Member

for me ..if i get my CCW..a sub compact springfiled xd9 would be "my" choice
  18. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Beautifully put.... and I couldn't agree more. The SW99 (and its sister gun, the Walther P99) are grossly underrated. It's no wonder 007 favors the model. And look at all the chicks he gets!

Try an SW99 (P99) and you'll buy one.

Pat Hurley
  19. tucsonpilot

tucsonpilot New Member

Glock 19 no question.
  20. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I've carried this old Colt Combat Commander for years.

If I need something smaller, I'll carry this Kimber.

Both are .45 ACP.

Attached Files: