• Small .380s such as the Sig P-230 or P232

Votes: 40 24.2%
  • DAO or DA/SA autos like the H&K USP or Ruger PTs

Votes: 32 19.4%

Best Auto Pistol for CCW

30K views 97 replies 68 participants last post by  mogunner 
G
#1 ·
Overall, what is the best semi-automatic pistol for concealed carry in the opinion of the membership? Please note I'm not talking about caliber here, but rather the pistols themselves. I realize this is a very difficult question to answer definitively because no single weapon will fit all possible concealed carry circumstances, yet I think the question does have a degree of relevance nonetheless. Assume you are a new CCW holder, that you have a good deal of background experience with firearms, and that you have sufficient funds available to purchase pretty much whatever you want. What would you choose as the optimum carry pistol and why? I've set up some common choices in the poll above, but please don't feel limited by those. Also, please limit your responses to pistols in this thread and note that I have set up a similar one for revolvers for those of you who prefer those.

#56 ·
The best pistol is one that you can afford to shoot a lot. If all else is equal, pick something with 4 in the caliber. I like .45 ACP but .40 SW is also a good selection. The key is being able to shoot enough to be comfortable when you handle the weapon. A seasoned shooter armed with a .22 is better prepared than an inexperienced novice with a .45.

#58 · (Edited)
Patrol, I'm an engineer by education, and understand 'strength of materials' calculations, quite well
A shooter, by avocation, I learned long ago, a term, 'flyer', that applies to engineering, as well as shooting; it is the one wierd piece of material, in a structure, that does NOT conform to spec, and is significantly substandard.
And luck. Luck for me, is mostly bad, and I expect it to be; if we bought the only three raffle tickets sold, me two, you , one yours would be picked!
I know well the engineering that goes into polymer framed pistols, and yet I will, because of the above, pick a steel gun over a ligtweight, polymer chassis, every time
I have broken one steel Colt, and two alloy framed Colt pistols, always thru the slide stop pin nole, and never with 'hot loads', just a lot of shooting, so you know about my 'luck'!
What amazes me is the durability of the Detonics 'Combat Masters', built on a cast frame, as these have much higher round counts, than any of the broken Colts, less slide mass, faster cycling, and yet, no problems, to date.
So, respectfully, my choice remains a 1911, of whatever size, on a steel chassis! Terry

#61 ·
As a 13yr L.E. Officer I carry the following off duty weapons concealed on a regular basis in a concealed holster on a belt or paddle holster with or without belt and with shirt untucked:SW 3913,Glock 27,Kahr P40 Springfield XD Subcompact 40. All have been reliable and accurate close up fast shooting guns. If I dont feel like messing with carrying, especially with shorts Ill throw my Jframe in my right front pocket and not even notice it. Either way, Im always armed.

#63 ·
Travi, and Patrol, please re read some old posts; I've been the 'ultra lightweight Wheelgun' proponent, here, for a couple of years!
I would rather have a steel framed '1911 pattern' pistol at hand, should the SGD, as it is my long time friend, but,as a concealed carry weapon, the tiny and extrordinarily light Smiths, will carry the mail, and 'First Class'!

#64 ·
I like carrying my Kel-tec P-ll or my P32. Both lightweight and easy to carry, and accurate at SD ranges.

I'd like to someday get a smith 38 and 357, as i've enjoyed shooting others' in the past. Would definitely have to carry extra ammo though, as my other guns carry up to ten rounds, but a revolver only 5 or 6.

Having read enough articles and books over the years of self defense shootings, it's better to have 5 rounds in your smith than nothing at all.:D

#66 ·
The best ain't what you think!
I carry several 1911 pattern pistols, and a bunch or 'Airlite" Smiths, depending on the situation, but always travel with at least one dog, all of whom are Australian Cattle Dogs, known here, as 'Heelers', and am seldom 'undergunned', in reality
Understand, these are dogs bred for the harshest climate, and the worst duty, in the universe; dogs that regularly move cattle, over hundreds of miles, and load them on trailers, with gusto!
Do i really need a gun?

#68 ·
The 1911 hands down, i've used and shot just about every combat and carry pistol known to man and woman, and the 1911 is always easier and shot better by 92% of the people who i've had the opportunity to shoot and train with. for me IMHO the 1911 in any caliber from the .38supper to the new .50GI is the best defensive pistol around.

#70 ·
I have broken one steel Colt, and two alloy framed Colt pistols, always thru the slide stop pin nole, and never with 'hot loads', just a lot of shooting, so you know about my 'luck'!
Terry
I've always blamed too much testosterone:D

#71 ·
Been considering all the valuable comments. Been carrying a S&W 649 .357 5-shooter, 22 or 23 oz.; really comfortable with that in a Galco leather belt holster, which rides kind of high, and is canted somewhat forward. I recently sold a 1932 Colt 1911 .45 Government Model which was big and klunky and weighed about 40 oz., though it was beautiful piece of engineering and metal work.

That said, I went out and bought a Kahr PM9 semiauto which holds 7 shots using the smallest magazine and one in the chamber. 14 or 15 oz, I think. Also got a SigSauer P226r DAK, about the same weight as the revolver, but holds 16 9mm rounds (with one in the chamber). Both 9mm; planning on using Federal defense loads at 124 gr. in both (though there's something to be said for the .357 magnum, even if the revolver's only got five shots; I shouldn't need that many).

I'd planned to keep the latter for a nightstand/dresser drawer home-defense thing, on the assumption I'd probably never need to handle more than three assailants at once, and I was going to use the Kahr for my party-attire gun when the revolver would be a bit too obvious.

So I went out today to do the "break-in" thing, and I decided I love them all. The Kahr had some fit problems right out of the box, it was really hard to get it apart for initial scrubbing, but people tell me that'll loosen up with use. The P226 is the easiest gun to get apart I've ever seen, loads easily, fires easily (DAK trigger pull is 6.5 lbs.), pretty easy to use. Though the Kahr is supposed to require a 200 round break-in, it fired beautifully, and was amazingly accurate with standard factory sights. I was putting bullet after bullet just about through the same holes. I suppose the heavier P226 was a bit harder for me to keep steady after using the Kahr. Shot both with both hands, both worked great.

So I'm reconsidering, thinking I'll keep the Kahr handy at bedtime and stick the P226 into a shoulder holster and walk around. They're both DAO, so there's no hammer sticking out to get boogered on pocket-seams, but I can't see carrying around a pound of steel and plastic, even if it is itty-bitty in a pocket. Can't see firing a semiauto from inside a pocket, either, 'cause I don't know what the slide's gonna do to my hand, wrist and other parts. Got a small Uncle Mike nylon belt holster, but it's still bulkier than the revolver.

Any opinions?

#73 ·
You have to try out a few models to see which best suits you with your shooting ability. Some small semi's might be great for concealing but you may have a hard time handling a certain model and when you need it isn't the time to realize you are fumbling with it too much in your hands to utilize it to save your life. Whatever the choice I do reccomend something that has a rust resistant finish as a carry gun is exposed more to human sweat than the one sitting in the safe. I have many firearms but typically carry three more than the rest because the either fit well in my Desantis Prostealth inside the waist holster or my front pants pocket. My Kahr P40 stainless slide. My Glock27 and the one I think everyone should own my stainless airweight Jframe loaded with hot ammo. I know it isn't a semi but it has to be mentioned. At combat shooting 10yards and less you wouldn't believe how accurate that little snubbie can be. My biggest problem is listening to my wife whine when I tote it around because it's her choice too. I never was much on inside the pant holsters though until I got this Desantis Procarry, it's absolutely fabulous and tucks right into my body fat on my upper hip perfectly and let's me carry a wider variety of firearms, I just have to buy one for 1911models and I'll be set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.