Best Auto Pistol for CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Best Pistol for CCW

1. The Mini Glocks, 26, 27, or 33

33 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 1911 pattern .45 autos

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Small .380s such as the Sig P-230 or P232

40 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. DAO or DA/SA autos like the H&K USP or Ruger PTs

32 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. patrol

patrol New Member

As a 13yr L.E. Officer I carry the following off duty weapons concealed on a regular basis in a concealed holster on a belt or paddle holster with or without belt and with shirt untucked:SW 3913,Glock 27,Kahr P40 Springfield XD Subcompact 40. All have been reliable and accurate close up fast shooting guns. If I dont feel like messing with carrying, especially with shorts Ill throw my Jframe in my right front pocket and not even notice it. Either way, Im always armed.
  2. a1huntingsupply

a1huntingsupply New Member

I voted Glock because of ammo capacity and reliability. I like the small 1911's but they are so finicky when it comes to ammo you use.
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

Travi, and Patrol, please re read some old posts; I've been the 'ultra lightweight Wheelgun' proponent, here, for a couple of years!
    I would rather have a steel framed '1911 pattern' pistol at hand, should the SGD, as it is my long time friend, but,as a concealed carry weapon, the tiny and extrordinarily light Smiths, will carry the mail, and 'First Class'!
  4. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I like carrying my Kel-tec P-ll or my P32. Both lightweight and easy to carry, and accurate at SD ranges.

I'd like to someday get a smith 38 and 357, as i've enjoyed shooting others' in the past. Would definitely have to carry extra ammo though, as my other guns carry up to ten rounds, but a revolver only 5 or 6.

Having read enough articles and books over the years of self defense shootings, it's better to have 5 rounds in your smith than nothing at all.:D
  5. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

In the warm weather months I carry a Beretta 3032 (32acp) in the cooler months I carry a Beretta 92F (9mm). But I think what ever a person choose to carry should be reliable and accurate, then it comes down to being able carrying it concealed.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

The best ain't what you think!
    I carry several 1911 pattern pistols, and a bunch or 'Airlite" Smiths, depending on the situation, but always travel with at least one dog, all of whom are Australian Cattle Dogs, known here, as 'Heelers', and am seldom 'undergunned', in reality
    Understand, these are dogs bred for the harshest climate, and the worst duty, in the universe; dogs that regularly move cattle, over hundreds of miles, and load them on trailers, with gusto!
    Do i really need a gun?
  7. Now Terry, you know you would feel undressed without one, like you forgot your pants or something! ;) Are the dogs Queensland Blue Heelers by chance? I've seen those guys work cattle on several occasions. They are amazing.
  8. Bravo1

Bravo1 New Member

The 1911 hands down, i've used and shot just about every combat and carry pistol known to man and woman, and the 1911 is always easier and shot better by 92% of the people who i've had the opportunity to shoot and train with. for me IMHO the 1911 in any caliber from the .38supper to the new .50GI is the best defensive pistol around.
  9. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

I prefer the 1911. 45 ACP. There is something about looking down that "sewer Pipe" sized barrel that will stop any hostile:D action before it gets to the point of no return.

Neverhome
  10. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I've always blamed too much testosterone:D
  11. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Been considering all the valuable comments. Been carrying a S&W 649 .357 5-shooter, 22 or 23 oz.; really comfortable with that in a Galco leather belt holster, which rides kind of high, and is canted somewhat forward. I recently sold a 1932 Colt 1911 .45 Government Model which was big and klunky and weighed about 40 oz., though it was beautiful piece of engineering and metal work.

That said, I went out and bought a Kahr PM9 semiauto which holds 7 shots using the smallest magazine and one in the chamber. 14 or 15 oz, I think. Also got a SigSauer P226r DAK, about the same weight as the revolver, but holds 16 9mm rounds (with one in the chamber). Both 9mm; planning on using Federal defense loads at 124 gr. in both (though there's something to be said for the .357 magnum, even if the revolver's only got five shots; I shouldn't need that many).

I'd planned to keep the latter for a nightstand/dresser drawer home-defense thing, on the assumption I'd probably never need to handle more than three assailants at once, and I was going to use the Kahr for my party-attire gun when the revolver would be a bit too obvious.

So I went out today to do the "break-in" thing, and I decided I love them all. The Kahr had some fit problems right out of the box, it was really hard to get it apart for initial scrubbing, but people tell me that'll loosen up with use. The P226 is the easiest gun to get apart I've ever seen, loads easily, fires easily (DAK trigger pull is 6.5 lbs.), pretty easy to use. Though the Kahr is supposed to require a 200 round break-in, it fired beautifully, and was amazingly accurate with standard factory sights. I was putting bullet after bullet just about through the same holes. I suppose the heavier P226 was a bit harder for me to keep steady after using the Kahr. Shot both with both hands, both worked great.

So I'm reconsidering, thinking I'll keep the Kahr handy at bedtime and stick the P226 into a shoulder holster and walk around. They're both DAO, so there's no hammer sticking out to get boogered on pocket-seams, but I can't see carrying around a pound of steel and plastic, even if it is itty-bitty in a pocket. Can't see firing a semiauto from inside a pocket, either, 'cause I don't know what the slide's gonna do to my hand, wrist and other parts. Got a small Uncle Mike nylon belt holster, but it's still bulkier than the revolver.

Any opinions?
  12. FLA2760

FLA2760 New Member

I like the Glock27.
  13. patrol

patrol New Member

You have to try out a few models to see which best suits you with your shooting ability. Some small semi's might be great for concealing but you may have a hard time handling a certain model and when you need it isn't the time to realize you are fumbling with it too much in your hands to utilize it to save your life. Whatever the choice I do reccomend something that has a rust resistant finish as a carry gun is exposed more to human sweat than the one sitting in the safe. I have many firearms but typically carry three more than the rest because the either fit well in my Desantis Prostealth inside the waist holster or my front pants pocket. My Kahr P40 stainless slide. My Glock27 and the one I think everyone should own my stainless airweight Jframe loaded with hot ammo. I know it isn't a semi but it has to be mentioned. At combat shooting 10yards and less you wouldn't believe how accurate that little snubbie can be. My biggest problem is listening to my wife whine when I tote it around because it's her choice too. I never was much on inside the pant holsters though until I got this Desantis Procarry, it's absolutely fabulous and tucks right into my body fat on my upper hip perfectly and let's me carry a wider variety of firearms, I just have to buy one for 1911models and I'll be set.
  14. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

1911 and amex.

Never leave home with out them.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  15. dusty9

dusty9 Member

I like the Glock 26, because it is rugged and reliable.
  16. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

kimber ultra carry ll .put it in a galco holster and you forget its there
  17. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Any one of my 1911 pattern 45 ACP pistols.
  18. jpohl402

jpohl402 New Member

very true. american express and a springfield xd for me
  19. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

If you are experienced I don't think there could ever be anything close to a best overall. It will come down entirely to what you can comfortably carry and shoot. My USP compact isn't the smallest frame to stuff IWB, but I find it to be a good overall compromise for myself, a Glock might be more comfortable but I would never carry one because my accuracy is not nearly as good as it is with other weapons.

If you are inexperienced I think almost any revolver would do you well. The simplicity cannot be beat. Point and click, Microsoft would be proud. Sure a Glock or XD will do that, but you get more complicated maintenance etc. - and again that is my opinion as for people who were not very experienced.
  20. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Hey all, I just joined and thought I"d weigh in on this one. I hold a Concealed Carry Permit in North Carolina and am armed probably 98% of the time I leave my house. I carry a Walther P99AS in 9x19 loaded with 124gr Hydra-Shoks. I'm 5'4 and use an IWB holster with little problem. The P99 is simply the most comfortable pistol I've ever held in my hands. It's also the smoothest 9mm I've ever fired. I like a pistol with a decocker and no manual safety that can be carried with a full 15 round mag and one in the chamber. But as others have said, you should use whatever is most comfortable for you.