Best Auto Pistol for CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Best Pistol for CCW

1. The Mini Glocks, 26, 27, or 33

33 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 1911 pattern .45 autos

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Small .380s such as the Sig P-230 or P232

40 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. DAO or DA/SA autos like the H&K USP or Ruger PTs

32 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Gary664

Gary664 New Member

Check out the Kahr.
    Especially if you have smaller hands like I do.
    Nice slim profile.
    Extremely reliable, well built, and fits like a glove.
    You give up a few rounds since they are single stack, but...
    I have a CW-40 and I love it. Cost less than $400.
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Gary, for now I'll 2nd the Kahr although I haven't received mine yet. I purchased a Kahr PM-40 the other night from http://www.budsgunshop.com I have read very bad reviews of the gun early on but no bad ones after it's been on the market for a while. It's a true pocket gun. I believe all those that require IWB holsters and such are not ideal CCW guns because you'll occasionally leave any gun in the car but more so if you have to holster it in some uncomfortable fashion... Pocket pistols are IDEAL for concealed carry! I currently carry the KelTec P3AT in my pocket and a Taurus PT-145 in heavy coat weather only. There is no substitute for comfort and pocket pistols assure you'll have something available when it's needed.
  3. nathud

nathud New Member

If I could choose one to have in my hands at all times it would be my Springfield XDM .45. Totally reliable, accurate, powerful and fairly easy to conceal. The problem is that sometimes you have to choose something that you can carry in "all" situations. It doesn't always come down to caliber, but more often to shot placement and ease of use. For this I would have to lean towards my Bersa Firestorm .380, with Federal Hydra-Shok ammo. This gun is easy to conceal in all situations, accurate and when loaded correctly; very deadly.
  4. nathud

nathud New Member

You really can't go wrong with any Glock, Springfield, H&K or Sig. I would steer clear of Kimbers, Colts and Para's for CCW. They are beautiful guns and after properly being broken in can be reliable, but not enough to bet your life on. I love my Kimber for target shooting, but just like the Colts and Paras, they seem to be very particular.
  5. CowboyCop

CowboyCop New Member

The best pistol for CCW is one you will carry ALL the time. Each person's physical structure and the clothing worn is different. Each person must select a pistol which accommodates their body in such a way the pistol can be carried concealed ALL the time with the type of clothing they wear. I've chosen the Kahr PM40, which fits in my back pocket and I can carry it concealed summer or winter and is easily accessible. I have made a leather pad which slips over it to prevent imprinting. I been CCW for over 35 years and never have I been detected as being armed. I've only carried the Kahr the past five years, before that I carried a 2 1/2" S&W 66 (great little gun, shoots very, very accurately, out to 50 yards). Big guns are nice but most people can't carry them so they are undetectable in all circumstances.
  6. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

I use to carry a S&W 38spec lightweight revolver... i bought a new S&W M&P 9m ... man i love this gun... it will be my companion from now on.. i keep it loaded it with Hydra Shoks & carry a spare loaded magazine JIC.. but i do still carry my 38spec in an ankle holster too.. for JIC
  7. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

There is no "best" of anything.

The "best" handgun for CCW is the most powerful one you can control that you can conceal.
  8. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I have purchased two for the express purpose of CCW (so far!). I started with a SW40VE after it had proven to be reliable and accurate through 500 rounds of assorted ammunition. I don't wear shorts even in the hottest weather, am a little over 6'4" and 230 lbs. I want a medium to full size semi-auto and a spare magazine close at hand.

Just switched a couple of months ago to a Ruger P95, a couple of ounces heavier, but has second strike capability, not that I've ever needed it but better to have it than not, and has DA/SA that outperforms the long DAO of the Sigma.

The best one, for you, will be one that you track down and become familiar with, can shoot accurately, that functions 100% for you, and that's pretty much it. No one can tell you what will be the best one for you, only what they prefer for themselves.