• Small .380s such as the Sig P-230 or P232

Votes: 40 24.2%
  • DAO or DA/SA autos like the H&K USP or Ruger PTs

Votes: 32 19.4%

Best Auto Pistol for CCW

30K views 97 replies 68 participants last post by  mogunner 
G
#1 ·
Overall, what is the best semi-automatic pistol for concealed carry in the opinion of the membership? Please note I'm not talking about caliber here, but rather the pistols themselves. I realize this is a very difficult question to answer definitively because no single weapon will fit all possible concealed carry circumstances, yet I think the question does have a degree of relevance nonetheless. Assume you are a new CCW holder, that you have a good deal of background experience with firearms, and that you have sufficient funds available to purchase pretty much whatever you want. What would you choose as the optimum carry pistol and why? I've set up some common choices in the poll above, but please don't feel limited by those. Also, please limit your responses to pistols in this thread and note that I have set up a similar one for revolvers for those of you who prefer those.

#2 ·
I am a 1911 fan. It's my main carry piece.

With that said, I still voted for a small .380, as it can be carried much more often than the 1911 that I own. The "mini GLOCKs" just don't hack it for me, as they are *still* too big for some of the situations I find myself in. Face it, a 1911 Officer's Model clone with a 4" barrel is pretty small for a gun that fires a full-caliber pill, .45 *or* 9mm Luger. The .380 (aka "9mm Kurz") I can stick in a pocket and carry without having to add a vest or jacket.

I also like the CZ75B better than any of the other DA/SA autos.

#4 ·
I know that this will suprise everybody, but I have to go with the Glock 26. :eek: :D I've carried it on my waist, inside my waist ban, my ankle, bellyban, but my favorite place is my strong side front pocket, especially when I wear overalls. I've done it with pleated dockers, but you need a good belt.

#5 · (Edited)
I like my 1911s and my 340PD as a pocket gun, but my Kahr PM40 in a fist tuckable IWB holster gets the most use by far. I like the fact that it is a .40, and that it doesn't print at all. After the recommended break-in period I have found it to be extremely reliable and very accurate for being as small as it is.

#6 ·
Larger frame autos are great and the .40s&w, .45 acp etc., pack a great punch I have a Sig 229 in .357 sig from home use. But I really must stay with my Kel-Tec P3 in .380 acp for carry use, it's a great LITTLE pistol. Very light and thin, I forget I have it on me sometimes.

#8 ·
Ignore what anyone else has until you've had a chance to get your hands on every pistol you possibly can. Then when you find the few that will "feel right" to you, do your quality research, and get opinions on those from owners, and try to get hold of those to shoot. THEN ... YOU decide which is the best for you.

Many folks wouldn't carry my CCW firearm across the street. But, they don't have to...... I do.

No offense to anyone, but "what's the best" is usually too subjective for me to offer anyone else advice on.

#9 ·
Jay hit the nail on the head here...And I might add, figure out how you are going to carry it and see if the shop owner will let you walk around with it on, squat, kneel and most importantly find a chair with a back on it to sit in with your weapon concealed because in my opinion behind the wheel of a viehicle is the hardest on most people, alot of the holsters may look real good and even feel good in a standing position, but when you jump in the truck and feel the hammer dig into your back you'll be left hoping the guy does refunds.

Crpdeth

#10 ·
I carried a few pistols, including a 1911 for the longest time, and even unholstered it on some fellows once, but for a while it's mostly been a PPK/S .380, so that got my vote.

#15 ·
Crpdeth said:
Jay hit the nail on the head here...And I might add, figure out how you are going to carry it and see if the shop owner will let you walk around with it on, squat, kneel and most importantly find a chair with a back on it to sit in with your weapon concealed because in my opinion behind the wheel of a viehicle is the hardest on most people, alot of the holsters may look real good and even feel good in a standing position, but when you jump in the truck and feel the hammer dig into your back you'll be left hoping the guy does refunds.

Crpdeth
Amen brother.

BTW: There ain't no hammer on a GLOCK. They only put them on old fashioned guns...LOL :rolleyes:

#16 ·
IShootBack said:
Amen brother.

BTW: There ain't no hammer on a GLOCK. They only put them on old fashioned guns...LOL :rolleyes:
Aint no hammer on a brick either...

Just kidding, in all seriousness I may have to buy one someday, A good friend of mine sure makes them look good at the range.

Crpdeth

#18 ·
"ain't no hammer on a brick, either"
Sums up my feelings, and nicely!
I'm old, and many, if not most, of my guns are too. A hammer seems such a nice thing to have, in "standing down" a weapon, because there is some element of control, with it, and none, without.
Personal carry choice, a Colt "Officer's Model, Enhanced", with some 'detail work', after the fact.
Because it fits me, suits me, and is the weapon I know best, as a type.
If and when I find a gun I can consistantly draw and fire, in under a second, and accurately, besides the 1911, I will certainly consider it.
Second gun: the lightest 5 shot Smith I can find; likely in .38 Spl, and likely, in my pocket!

#19 ·
Re: Glocks........ I have yet to read anything "bad" about Glocks. I don't dislike Glocks, it's just that they don't "feel right" in my hands. I've shot them in several calibers, but they're very uncomfortable to me.

One analogy I like to use for "what pistol to carry" discussions is..... "what shoes do you wear?" You should end up with what's comfortable FOR YOU ! Besides, lookg for the right pistol is a lot of fun. :D

#21 · (Edited)
stash247 said:
"ain't no hammer on a brick, either"
Sums up my feelings, and nicely!
I'm old, and many, if not most, of my guns are too. A hammer seems such a nice thing to have, in "standing down" a weapon, because there is some element of control, with it, and none, without.
That's what yer finger is fer...trigger control :rolleyes:

I read back in the old days cops and robbers would cut the spur off their hammers cuz it caught on clothing when carried concealed. Called the contraption a 'Bobbed Hammer". From what I read, it is still popular. I can't figure out why folks would cut off something they think they need. :) :D

#23 ·
IShootBack said:
That's what yer finger is fer...trigger control :rolleyes:

I read back in the old days cops and robbers would cut the spur off their hammers cuz it caught on clothing when carried concealed. Called the contraption a 'Bobbed Hammer". From what I read, it is still popular. I can't figure out why folks would cut off something they think they need. :) :D
An opposed thumb separates us from lower primates, the wisdom of when to use it, from the thugs, on the 6 or 10 O'Clock news.
I prefer the 1911 pattern pistol, above all others, because it works, 100%, and because, in my feeble fashion,I understand the how and why, that it works, allowing me to keep it running that way.
'Bobbed hammers', on a wheel gun, allow quicker presentation; since a revolver, as a defensive weapon, is shot double action only, nothing is lost by the modification: used by a serious and practiced shooter, group size,at defensive ranges, is essentially the same as a good single action auto. None, save the ME, will ever notice a difference.
Just my .02. Terry

#24 ·
Terry - No machine is 100% reliable.

I see more failures on 1911 type pistols at IDPA matches than all others combined. IMHO this usually is a lack-of-maintenance or hand loading problem. I know a lot of guys do their own gun smithing and this causes a lot of problems as well.

Second is Wheel Guns. This is usually caused by amateur gun smithing as well.

The bottom line is carry what you have confidence in and hope you never need to use it.

Shoot Straight and often.
Jef

#25 · (Edited)
ISB, the intellect in me agrees with your opening statement; my gut has a problem with it, however.
As to IDPA, IPSC, or other 'Gungames', let us consider the facts that support your statement. While any other gun runs in an 'out of the box' condition, an 'out of the box', or modified substantially, 1911 (or other single action aut, I believe), pistol, runs in a higher "racegun" kind of class, separate from the others, with IDPA; with IPSC, 1911 pattern guns are the vast majority, even now.
In IPSC, there is substantial prize money, etc, encouraging taking a risk, for the dollar, with no blood loss eminent!
In IDPA, there's not nearly so much money, but again, it's a 'gun game', and no blood is lost.
It's not unusual to run 200 rounds through a 'game gun', or, even, many more, between cleanings, and the, only a 'field strip'!
My little Colt saw over 1000 rounds, flawlessly, before it went 'into service' as a carry piece, and is never carried with any mag that was not in the proving lot of mags; in this 'game', there is NO prize money, but always the risk of blood loss, and is to be considered differently, IMHO.
Every time it goes to the range, and is fired, it is detail stripped, and cleaned to 'as new' condition. So, when it goes back 'in service', conditions are exactly the same, every time, which is far from the life of most 'game guns'.
While in the military, every time I got back to Ft Bragg, I was detailed to the XVIII Abn Corps, or the 5th Army, pistol team, in the shop(s), or as a 'fill in' shooter, until I shipped back overseas. I suppose it might have something to do with a pistol I reworked for a Sergeant-Major, at the JFKSPECWAR Center, in '69, with which he shot extremely well, until his death; The fact remains, for one who understands the M1911, it is the most reliable pistol ever built.
I shoot the previously mentioned "lightest 5-shot Smith Revolver I can find", left handed, exclusively; for one good reason: I've shot the 1911, in the other hand, for 40 years, and close to 1,100,000 rounds, with my right, successfully, and don't wish to mess with apparent success, in muscle memory!
Your statement is absolutely correct, as I said in the beginning, if I allow these provisions: First, you can live long enough to shoot long enough to arrive at the statistical premise: "Nothing is 100% functional", and Second, that you are allowed to shoot a weapon, of my preparation, beyond reccomended maintainance intervals, and count those results as statistically significant.
Lacking those two provisions, there are at least twenty, and likely many more, smiths than can give to you by these standards, a 100% gun, many at a price even I could afford!
No hard feelings, just excellent guns! Terry

#26 ·
The bigger 1911's, sigs and Glocks are great choices for the cooler states. Here in Florida the small .380 sigs and (Kel-tec's on a budget) are better choices. I know several people that get there ccw and go through holster after holster trying to find the comforatable and discrete way to carry and end up leaving it in the car for the thief to get. I have to clean my carry weapon monthly if I fire it or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.