Best Axe

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by seward, Dec 27, 2006.

1. seward

seward Former Guest

-------------
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I don't have a source for a double-bit with that short a handle. I've found that the 3 1/2 pound axes are by far more efficient and easier to use than the 5 pound and larger ones. I'm still looking for a good 3 1/2 Swedish double-bit myself. I can find many of the larger ones and have a couple, but I want one of the lighter ones. Note that most of the professional loggers used the lighter axes and they were ones who used an axe all day. They knew what worked.

http://www.vannattabros.com/saw5.html
    http://japanwoodworker.com/product....NCB7JJJE06NE&pf_id=35.100.490.2&dept_id=13263

Pops
  3. I hear the British make some good axes, seward. :D ;) :p

[​IMG]
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

I use a 26" Axe from Estwing as my "truck axe" which travels all the time with me (like various pistols) as a use-all tool. Pry's, chops, splits, provides rescue effort, and useful for LTL defense...

http://www.estwing.com/
  5. Snipe

Snipe New Member

Have you tried looking at the Marble Axe Company?
  6. Snipe

Snipe New Member

7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I just read that it's good to keep an axe in a small bucket of sand mixed with some used motor oil. This stops rust & keeps the wood swollen up to keep the head tight.

I realy have liked my little Craftsman axe. I keep the axe & a Craftsman hatchett along with a machette from Harbour Freight behind the seat in my truck. The axe & hatchette are about the only Craftsman handtools I've never had to return on their guarantee.
  8. Quite true, Pop. One might even say that such advice is <ahem> "axe"iomatic! :D ;) Sorry, just couldn't resist the pun.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

That's why my axe is all steel - although the bucket trick does work. My last wooden handle axe met a sad demise. I broke the handle and gave the head to my wife who had a fire going in the fire place. I said, "here, toss this in the fire and burn the wood out of it." She's not exactly a "country girl" and sometime later I went inside to find a roaring fire and her poking a cherry-red axe head around the coals asking, "Is that good enough?" Uh, yep.......guess I'll need a new one of those...
  10. I trust, 45, that you didn't "lose your temper," so to speak. :D ;) :p
  11. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I've enjoyed being pole-axed by your axioms Pistol:)