BEst Barrel for AR Varmint build...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Apr 25, 2012.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I decided I would try for the best barrel I could afford for my Varmint AR Upper build. Since my Varmint/Bench "epiphany" I have figured out the barrel is all that really matters....

BUT there are so many options.

I want ACCURACY first. I want a .223 Chamber. I reload, and the original Rock River upper that came with my mid-length 16" "entry gun" in 5.56 can handle any el cheapo NATO stuff I may need to shoot.:cool:

I want an 18-24" length bull stainless. The shorter the better but I want accuracy. As close to one hoie at 100 as I can get to start.

Maybe fluted since they look neat, but NOT if it will not help accuracy. (I am not made of money!:p)

I have a DPMS free float tube I intend to use which will handle a 18" barrel or longer, and a large diameter DPMS gas block.

Any suggestions on an upper that will help my accuracy also wanted, but I believe I can save some pennies on the upper if I pay the price for a good barrel, right??

And let me know what twist I want too... I intend to shoot 50 grain bullets, but I will go heavier, 60-70 gr if it will get me accuracy and maybe BC for the wind. This will be a Prairie Dog gun...

Shilen? WIlson???? ?????
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are many accurate barrels on the market (mine is a Lothar Walther but Clark,Wilson, and Shilen are others). The twist is important as are the bullets you use.

The faster twists allow the use of heavy bullets but the twist can be so fast that some of the lighter weight bullets will disintegrate from the spin (Don't laugh but it happened to me!). A one in 8 is a good compromise and testing each bullet you intend using will cull out the lesser bullets. I had hunting grade 52 gr bullets disintegrate before reaching the target when shooting my barrel which I think is one in 7.5 inches while the same bullets in my son-in-laws one in eight shot just fine as did 75 gr bullets. So you must test.

Brownells has a selection of barrels and one of the gunsmiths there may be able to help you select the best barrel. Make sure you get a chambered barrel with the barrel extension already installed or you may need machine work to finish the install.

LDBennett
  3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I have seen several of the wilson arms barrels that RRA use's shoot some very tight groups out of there varment rifles if .300 groups that is what you want . That is with a 1-8 twist 223 wylde chamber wilson arms heavy barrel and 80gr berger vld's. They do have a 1-12 twist for those pea wee bullets too. 300 bucks. To get a higher quality barrel like a lilja will set you back anther 200 atleast.

Problem shooting both 50gr bullets accuratly and then be able to shot 70gr as well is barrel twist is going to have to have up something with to one end of the bullets weight. Give them a call and talk to them about how light the 1-8 will shoot and maintain the accuracy you want. These guys use a single 223 ammo as there control round. It is a federal 69gr match that shot 3/8" for both rifles these guys were useing.

Both were RRA 24" 1-8 twist varment with only worked triggers.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've never seen anyone put a Swift barrel on an AR. It would have to be the AR-10, I would expect, but the case dimensions just off the top of my head seem like they would work. I know that you REALLY wanted a project...

As far as barrel makers, I don't have a clue.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I prefer Cut rifling over button rifled barrels. So myself I would go with a Kreiger Barrel.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/DCM__AR_15-c1246-wp3394.htm

I would get a 20" 8 twist heavy contour. An 8 twist will be just right for 60gr V-Max bullets but you can go down to 52gr or up to 80 or 82gr Bergers.

If you want to shoot 50gr I would go with a 9 twist. That is about as fast as I would want to go with the little 50gr bullets. I shoot those in my 223 REM 700 VLS.
  7. polishshooter

Do the Rock River barrels come ready to drop in with the hood installed?

I kinda like the idea of a Rock River Barrel.

My original Rock River 16" mid length tactical HB I really like. Even though I should have bought one for accuracy at the time, I bought one as a SHTF gun right before the 2008 election when I had the money and had no confidence that no matter who won I might not have a chance to buy an AR again and got a good price on it , but even if it isn't one I should have bought it is decently accurate as is, and I love the match two stage trigger which is like a $120 option on any other build which is what sold me on it.

It looks like they come with the gas block too. HHHmmmm....

I was told the guys that either build ARs for RRA or actually own RRA originally all worked for Les Baer, does anybody know if that is true?
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Simple to go to there site and look -http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=275

Wilson Arms makes there barrels and is an airguaged barrels. Comes with gas block site up with a rail for fold down sights ready to go. 18" is $280 bucks and the 34" is 300 and you have a choice of 1-8 and 1-12 with the 24" barrell. If you don't have a freefloat tube allready get there basic tube also.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Try ordering from lilja, kreiger or other like barrels. You want a wait , they will also give that to you. If its in stock its probable not worth while right now.
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I know I would not like to wait that long for a barrel. I do like the look of there rifles.
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Might want to contact Lilja about there ready to go Patrolman barrels.-http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/patrolman_ar.htm
  13. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

If memory serves 2 of the owners left Springfield Armory I believe. One was THE Master Armorer for them for about 2 decades and the other was pretty talented too from what I remember reading. I haven't heard anything about their current builders and I am not sure how involved the owners are in builds anymore, but they sure have great stuff IMO.
  14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

One other barrel to look at for a build would be AR Performance. You can get a 223 wylde chamber F5 rifleing and melonite coating and they have a few to pick from. great prices too. http://www.ar15performance.com/5_56_223
  15. polishshooter

I have heard the RR guys used to work for Les Baer, and at the same time the RR barrels are built by Wilson.

While I would if I could afford it buy anything Les Baer has made, and at the same time HAVE bought and still use many parts for at least my .45 made or marketed by Wilson, I am a little confused since I understand Les Baer and Wilson Arms are COMPETITORS????:"....

But then again maybe it makes me even more happy I spent my hard earned money on a Rock River AR....

I figure anybody with even rumors that they were or are connected with EITHER Les Baer or Wilson (and/or Springfield Armory?) just HAS to make a decent AR....

Yeah, I am leaning for a RRA .223 Wylde 20" SS Bull in 1/8.....but there is still room for maneuver...;)
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  16. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Love my Shilen - recommended

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  17. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Shilen make great barrels and I believe they have more benchrest wins that any other barrel maker out there.

RRA who ever makes their barrels does a hell of a job mine shoots like a laser beam.
  18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Wilson Arms makes RRA's SS barrels at least.
  19. bigbluetruck

bigbluetruck New Member

Look at Black Hole Weaponry. They make very nice barrels that are very affordable for the average guy and id say they shoot as good as any out there.
  20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

polishshooter Wilson Combat is not the same as Wilson Arms. NO 1911 stuff. just barrels.