1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best Barrel length for .22LR

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 5:43:51 am)
    Reply Best Barrel length for .22LR
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm having a custom 10/22 made and can have any lenght of barrell from 14" to 22" !!

I've got no idea what is best? I will be wanting a silencer of the end, and also want good accuracy.

What is the OPTIMUM barrell length to get the most out the .22LR velocity?

At the moment I'm thinking about 18" + Sako Sound Mod?

Also should I go for a fluted barrell?

Edited by: NeVeTaS at: 1/8/03 5:44:10 am

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (1/8/03 7:40:50 am)
    Reply Re: Best Barrel length for .22LR
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Go with the 22" barrel. A fluted barrel looks nice, saves weight, and cools faster but costs more. I'll assume you know the law on supressors.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 7:44:46 am)
    If weight is a factor for you, go with a fluted barrel. For optimum accuracy, go with the 22" bbl.

I have no comment on a silencer.
    It is a class 3 weapon here in the states. We can have them if we are willing to pay the extra $200.00 for the tax stamp

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 8:30:16 am)
    Sorry lads I should of mentioned I'm not from USA

I'm in snowy London, UK so silencers are no problems.

I've seen a gun I like...

it has 18.5" barrell (they do exactly the same fluted aswel), but then by the time the silencer is on that will be about 23 - 24" long!! May look abit out of proportion?

Don't you think that will make it a little 'nose heavy' ?

It will be mainly a static bunny bashing gun, but want something as accurate as possible, e.g min 1/2" @ 50

Edited by: NeVeTaS at: 1/8/03 8:35:48 am

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 9:05:18 am)
    I like my 10-22... 18" heavy barrel

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 9:07:50 am)
    You have a bunny problem in downtown London?

The place must've changed since the last time I was there.

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 9:27:24 am)

Sorry, should of said I'm in one of the 'suburbs'

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 9:29:33 am)
    Zigzag2 your gun looks sweet with a 18" barrel, however if you add another 4" for a silencer it might look really long?

Or maybe not??

1chessman
    (1/8/03 10:17:30 am)
    From test data I've seen, subsonic .22 rounds have burnt all of their powder at about 16 inches. Anything longer just adds drag and the potential to affect accuracy. A good number of match shooters I know use a 16 inch barrel with what is affectionately known as a "bloop tube". This is a long tube over the barrel that is used to extend the front sight for best accuracy. If you are going to scope the rifle, then the extra length won't make it any more accurate.

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 11:01:21 am)
    Thanks for that info cheesman. After some searching around I think I now know how I'm going to build it. If you guys don't aggree with any of this, or think I can do better please tell me!!

Here's my idea...

Stock
    Volquartsen Laminate Stock

Barrel
    Volquartsen Heavy match barrel (18.5) cut down to 14" and threaded
    (Target grade accuracy from a conventional heavy barrel. Stainless steel match, air gauges, cut with minimum headspace match chamber for ultimate accuracy)

Internals
    Volquartsen Custom Superlite Receiver

(This receiver is machined (not cast) from a solid billet of aircraft quality aluminium which is then hard anodised for years of enjoyable shooting. The CNC machining process eliminates the burrs and rough surfaces that can be found in cast receivers. The receiver is coated with a special lubricating finish that eliminates the need for frequent lubrication. It comes complete with a hardened steel barrel V-clamp, recoil buffer, and hexagon take down screw. A Weaver style base is fitted, and the receiver is offered in silver or black finish. A machined Volquartsen competition bolt assembly is fitted which includes a titanium firing pin and EDM machined extra large extractor.)

With
    Volquartsen Trigger Guard 2000

(A complete trigger guard CNC machined from a solid billet of high strength aircraft grade aluminium, equipped with precision EDM parts with tolerances held to +/-.0002" assuring consistent trigger let off.
    Features an internal spring to reset trigger, and black anodised trigger blade with overtravel adjustment screw. The unit is complete with custom springs, and extended magazine release and automatic bolt release in black or silver.)

The price £890 ($1,423.08 remember I'm in UK and guns are much more expensive over here) which I am happy with. Do you guys think 14" barrel is the best all round? Also any other changes you think I should make?

Quick answers appreciated because the sooner I order it the sooner I get it!

1chessman
    (1/8/03 11:15:58 am)
    Looks like a bunch of nice pieces.

I still wouldn't go with a barrel shorter than 16 inches. We took a long contender barrel and started cutting it down an inch at a time to see what the effect of barrel length would be. Every time we shortened the barrel we test fired it off the bench and also through a chronograph. Muzzle velocity started dropping off at 16 inches. Accuracy started to suffer at about 12 inches. I can't remember for sure what ammo we were shooting, but I believe it was RWS R-50.

By cutting the barrel too short, you will be compromising the silencer by not getting a complete powder burn before the bullet exits the barrel. If you can stand the extra couple of inches, I think you would be better off to leave them.

Chessman

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 11:24:08 am)
    Hi Cheesman,

I see where you are coming from with the 16" barrel, and if I was going to be only target shooting I'd completely aggree. However, as it's only going to be used for bunny bashing primaraly with only target work on the odd occasion, using sub sonic bullets the fact it has a slightly lower velocity might be better for me? Thats what the shop told me, I have no idea personally.

So if you still think 16" even when using subs for bunny bashing let me know.

I'm hoping this lot will do atleast 1/2" @ 50 using Eley Subsonics, if it doesn't I will cry!

Edited by: NeVeTaS at: 1/8/03 11:26:27 am

1chessman
    (1/8/03 1:35:25 pm)
    I don't think the bunnies will care (or know) about 2 inches one way or another. I doubt accuracy will be affected even slightly by this change. The slightly slower velocity might be good if atmospheric conditions put you right on the cusp of being supersonic, making the silencer usless and hurting accuracy. From that perspective, you can use a shorter barrel to provide some margin between the speed of sound and muzzle velocity. My concern is that you will see more rapid errosion in the silencer baffles because of the flame that you will be spraying into the silencer. Also, I believe the silencer design might need to be designed a bit differently to work effectively on gasses that are still expanding, but that is just a hunch. Please keep us posted on the results. If you have a chance, drop me a note at: chessman@c2i2.com

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 2:01:09 pm)
    Cheers for all your help cheeseman, will keep you updated.

riderbob
    (1/10/03 2:55:04 pm)
    Hey NeVeTaS

I just built a new 10/22 and used a small co. here in the states called whistle pig gun barrel. They will build any length barrel that you want. Here is their web site wpgbc.com
    You will want to talk to Louis, he really knows his stuff and has sold overseas, I think that he said to Ireland, to a target shooter. But check out the website it has a ton of info. I have been quite impressed w/ my barrel. I went w/ a 20 in and it shoots around 3/8 five shot groups from a bi-pod. The gun is used mostly for varmint hunting ,but seems to be accurate enough for punching holes in paper. All this on cheap ammo not even the target stuff.

Good Luck Rider

milmat1
    (1/10/03 7:46:17 pm)
    Zig: Does that thing play DVD's ???

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 8:51:44 pm)
    Prefer 24-26 inches.........

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 10:39:13 pm)
    yep

Quote:

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

Mauser45
    (1/20/03 8:27:01 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Best Barrel length for .22LR
    NeVeTaS, You guys got one hell of a whacky government over there! If I understand correctly, your government is grabbing every gun it can get it's hands on and now they are trying to outlaw "Lethal Airguns". Yet they allow silencers? We should send all of the worlds anti-gunners to Iraq before we attack!
  2. tenbears

tenbears New Member

Well if you use the all around high velocity .22 lr. the powder burns out at around 16 in. any longer barrel is just drag. But if you use hyper-vol. rounds, the longer the better. I think the longest is 24 in. that I have seen for a .22 cal rifle.
  3. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

I read somewhere last year someone did a test with some of the hyper velocity ammo and 18" was slightly more then enough barrel needed to burn the powder, but accuracy was a different story. Seems best accuracy was with 16" barrel and the drop in velocity that caused better bullet placement. IIRC they never found a better length then about 18 or 19" for any 22LR ammo and the super fast ammo was less accurate as a rule and they figured it was all about bullet design and velocity.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008