Best Battle Rifle of World War II

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, May 18, 2007.

?

Best Battle Rifle of World War II

1. U.S. M-1 Garand

109 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. German Model 98

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. British SMLE

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Russian Model 38, 44, or 91/30

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

That's a nice collection Corsair. I've only ever handled, and fired one in my life. Impressed the hell outa me.
    My Father served in New guinea and Borneo during WW11, and whenever they could steal a garand off the yanks they did:D:D Problem for them was ammo. If they wern't around the yanks they soon ran out and had to go back to the trusty SMLE.
    Now I'm not knockin the SMLE, they were a great combat rifle, but for sheer firepower the garand had it all over.
    Just as a point of interest The Aussies avoided the 303 Jungle carbines, they were too unpleasant to fire, and often had accuracy problems caused by milling too much metal off the action, in the interest of reducing weight.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. miker22

miker22 New Member

Garand. Everything else a distant second.