BEST Battle rifle to buy in California??

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

CaliCollector
    (9/11/02 10:09:56 pm)
    BEST battle rifle to buy in California??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    whats the best all around battle rifle someone in california can purchase? its inteded purpose would fall under the old, you never know clause...the poopoo hits the fan, end of the world, domestic unrest, ect. the reasons and possibilities are endless. we cant buy ak's or ar's any more, so that leaves us with choices like the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SMLE's, Mausers, MN's, Mini-14/30's, M1A's. best bang for the buck, and most reliable, best suited for ANY job rifle available to guys like me. id post this question on a survival forum, but all the answers id get from that poting would be "buy an Sks or an Ak". thanks for your input. Ray in California
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

CaliCollector
    (9/11/02 11:29:27 pm)
    Re: BEST battle rifle to buy in California??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i am leaning twords the M1 Carbine, because-
    i have been told that M1 Garands dont like modern/commercial ammo, something to do with it is too hot and bends the gasrods, effectively shutting down the rifle. i own a mini-14 already, but its been billed as strictly a light duty rifle. i also own a SMLE (gibbs #7 jungle carbine, .308 chamber, cut down ishapore). mausers well the capacity down right sucks, and there is only one way to reload it, from the top, least a SMLE can be reloaded by swapping mags. Sks and Ak, while they work, im not that impressed by the 7.62x39mm round. and cant get Ak's in cali no more anyways, and Sks's i never see them around. the M1 Carbine does fire a fairly anemic round by true rifle standards, but i was thinking if i could find good hollowpoint ammo, it might make the difference out to 100 yards. also for some reason i have magazines for one that ive been toting around for years. im fairly sure that the SMLE would serve me well, bening that it does have long range capabilities even with iron sites it is capable of harrassing fire, and the round carries some punch, but i NEED the experts opinion to feel comfortable with whatever i chose. id probly buy a Stg58 or other FN FAL variant, but i live in the PRK where "assault weapons" are labeled evil.. thanks for your help. Ray in California

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/12/02 7:13:26 am)
    That M1A is a top notch weapon.That is what I would be looking at.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/12/02 7:39:33 am)
    Reply Re: BEST battle rifle to buy in California??
    Agree with Pig, Springfield makes a California compliant M1a.
    The M1 carbine, even with hollow points is still anemic. LTS

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/02 8:01:58 am)
    I'm not saying you should buy one, but the reason survival types will tell you to buy an SKS is because they are darn good rifles and inexpensive. They are legal in the PRK, but not with all the goodies you can put on in other states. As you said, if the proverbial "poopoo" hits the fan, that's probably the first one I would grab.

Here's my reasoning: the ammo is cheap and readily available (it may not pack a huge punch, but it'll do a pretty good job unless you're shooting at armored vehicles), the SKS is quick and easy to reload either with stripper clips or detachable mags, it'll take a lot of abuse/neglect and still function just fine, and you can dress it up with all kinds of aftermarket stuff to suit your needs. Take-down is quick and easy, it's a simple design.

But most of all, it's an inexpensive rifle to buy. It's proven to be a good battlefield tool. I can't compare it to the M1 or M1a because I don't know too much about them. But I love my SKS's and would trust them in any situation.
    Sie lesen deine Gedanken, und bohren in dein Gehirn. Feind hört mit....

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/12/02 8:07:15 am)
    I believe SOG has the Yugoslav SKS with the grenade launcher and bayonet removed that is California legal. These are in excellent condition, and well worth the low price on them right now. As stated, the ammo is incredibly cheap (if California doesn't ban that also), and the SKS design is rugged and dependable.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/02 8:23:06 am)
    Most companies that sell the Yugo SKS will remove the grenade launcher for a small "alteration fee", usually in the neighborhood of $25. And Yugos are cheap right now - I bought one for $130 from J&G.

I'll probably be posting a pic of my Yugo after I am done refinishing the stock and get it put back together, probably tomorrow.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/12/02 8:38:46 am)
    The only thing going for the SKS in comparison to the M1A is that it's cheap.

In an SHF scenario, the M1A is the way to go. Power, range, reliability, ammo availability.....it's all there in one package.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/12/02 12:05:49 pm)
    Yep a Yugo or will get you there but a Viper gets you there in style

Same with a SKS and a Garand or M1A

CaliCollector
    (9/12/02 7:08:02 pm)
    i owned a Russian Sks years ago, was the first rifle i bought when i turned 18 seems like forever even though it was only 8 years ago, time drags in the PRK. they are a damn good rifle, and ill never say anything bad about them, i kick my a$$ for ever selling it, especially since the guy i sold it to fugged it all up, shot some funky ammo thru it or something, developed a "burr" in the chrome of the chamber, i dont know what he did to it , but damned if he didnt ruin a perfectly good rifle. makes me sick to think about it. i might have to go with the sks. the M1A i have considered, but im not sure if the standard is good nuff for what id like, i dont know how much of a benifit having a national match is over a standard. maybe someone can clear that up for me. i also need to get a good battle rifle for my wife, shes all of 5-2 bout 130 lbs, lil tiny thing, not alot of upper body strength, and not alot of meat in the shoulder, the recoil of a pump action 20 gauge is alittle much for her.. intimidating, still working with her on recoil issues... no input on the M1 Carbine??? i realize that it is anemic, and was NEVER designed as a front line primary battle rifle, but i was thinking with good hp's it might prove itself do be worth its weight (and them things is light!!!!! i handed my wife one in a gunshop and she took itwith 2 hands, looked at me, held it up with one hand, and asked " wheres the rest of it?? this thing feels like a toy......." M1A(M14) is also more than a bit out of my price range right now. i should have mentioned that my favorite gunshop is closing its doors effective the stroke of midnite newyears. so i wont be able to do a layaway with them for that amount. god i had a great layaway plan with them, just put it in the safe and pay it off WHENEVER i was able to, i had $2,000.00 in 1911's in there at one time.. a couple years ago, took me abit to pay them off, but they never blinked on stuff like that with me.. also, i have a limit of about $600.00 of what i can budget out between now and the first of the year to buy a good battle rifle.. that will make the determination of what i buy and who i buy it for, myself or my wife.. i do have that gibbs SMLE, i suppose till i could save my money and get a M1A that would see me thru, not as well as id prefer, but it would do. so i guess its now 2 questions.. is the M1 carbine a good choice for my wife, or can anyone make a better suggestion?? i beleive the M1A is for me, just gotta save my lunch money.. thanks for all the input guys.. your great... Ray in California
    p.s. if i keep writing novels im going to have to start payin you folks a publishers fee...lol

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/13/02 7:21:09 am)
    Are you allowed to have AR-15s in the PRK? If so, it would be a better choice for your wife than the M1 Carbine. More accurate, better stopping power, longer range, better ammo availibility, and very little more recoil.

In a SHF situation, considering semi auto long guns, the carbine would be about my last choice. Underpowered, inaccurate, and tough to find ammo for.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/13/02 7:49:30 am)
    No hangy-downy grippers need apply............

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/13/02 8:00:58 am)
    Here's that pic of my Yugo SKS I promised. How could you say no to a sweet face like that? Everybody needs two or three of these.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/13/02 8:05:55 am)
    M1A scout squad rifle

The M25 White Feather™ Tactical/Carlos Hathcock model M1A

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/13/02 8:49:31 am)
    Ouch! Touche, warpig! Here's my Russkie SKS, not as fancy as those, but would still be a good SHF weapon.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/13/02 9:20:01 am)
    Well, when I was making a suggestion, I was considering:

A) What is a C&R transferable;
    2) What is legal in California;
    III) What is economical in cost.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/13/02 10:02:44 am)
    Oh yeah, good point. I guess the Russian SKS as shown above wouldn't be legal in the PRC.

CaliCollector
    (9/13/02 7:20:25 pm)
    BEST battle rifle to buy in the PRK
    Xracer- the AR-15 and its clones is the root of all evil in the PRK... least thats what the Anti's have got the politicians and the sheep believing, so no we cant have AR's here, not unless we bought them BEFORE that last stupid law went into effect.
    Yugo SKS's i have heard that alot of the Yugo's perform just like their cars... ive never had a chance to buy or shoot one, and the SKS thing in Kali is iffy, some guys(shops) say the SKS with a fixed mag is perfectly legal to import to Kali, some guys say the SKS in any form is illegal to import, i cant seem to get a straight answer out of them, too damn many laws saying what ya cant have, and not enough saying what you can.. well unless its a handgun, and we lost fine revolvers like Colt Pythons in Kali, becuase Colt refused to participate in the drop tests and extortion in paying a fee to have it done every so often, we can have some Colts..dont get me wrong, but we are regulated so bad that it feels like we are a well to do 3rd world country.
    the AR-15 GOD HOW I WISH I COULD BUY ONE IN KALIFORNIA!!!!!! id run out and buy a bushmaster, but no cant have em, no way no how.... they are like high cap mags , cant buy seel trade or transfer in Kali.
    going to save my lunch money and buy myself a M1A, but i still gotsa find a rifle for my wife, maybe my mini-14 will work there... they aint an AR but when i "find" some factory mags... it should work well nuff if kept care of..
    them lil M1Carbines aint that great huh?? the ammo issue i have considered, but also considered that maybe if i stocked enough ammo, the resupply issue wouldnt hae to be addressed right away in TSHTF situation, could probly beg borrow trade or steal a good AR.
    thanks again guys.. and DAMN YOU BOYS GOT SOME GORGEOUS WEAPONS!!!!!! making me jealous... im stil wiashing i never sold my Russian SKS or taht NHM Mak-91 (even if that extra barrel, and bi-pod made it heavy...)
    Ray in California