Best Book On Reloading 45/70 & 50/70

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Danny, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Member

Can any of you guys help me and my Sharps Carbines?
    Thanks
    Danny:)
  2. army mp

army mp Member

my book is down stairs, but if you are loading cast bullets, the best all around manual I have found is the Lyman cast Bullet book.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Lyman also has the BlackPowder Handbook, which is very good.

Pops
  4. Danny

Danny Member

Thanks Guys, but I really need one on the loading process. I loaded a bunch last year and then started hearing horrow stories about air cavities & blowing my 1877 Sharps Borchardt Carbine up. I have the moulds, a powder measure to get 70 grains, the lude & everything needed. I did not use those little round patches. I just put the primer in, powder and then the lead, tapping it with a wooden hammer till it seated good against the powder. Unless one of you Gents can help I will need a good book.
    Thank You
    Danny
  5. army mp

army mp Member

I will double check my Lyman book I do seem to remember something about putting wadding in the case. I don’t load the old rifles but do cast bullets. I will check my book and post latter.
  6. army mp

army mp Member

. I just checked the Lyman cast bullet handbook has loads for the 45/70 & 50/70 and explains the loading procedure for using Dacron wads it looks like you need to use the wad with most smokeless powder if you let me know the bullet and powder I will post what the book has to say. Or you may just want to get the book for your self. Hope this helps my book shows loads for the 45/70 1873 Springfield or 1886 Win and 1895 Marlin or Ruger #1 &#3 and one set of loads for the 50/70
  7. shellvrolet

shellvrolet New Member

A good book for almost all of the old calibers and reloading Black Powder is SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge. They have loads for 22 different old calibers from 32-40 to 50-140 and of course the ones you mentioned. The main thing is to seat the bullet down on the Black Powder and compress about 1-16 to 1-8th inch. Use a card wad in between your powder and bullet. Helps protect the base of the bullet and keeps any bullet lube from contaminating your powder. I have very good luck with SPG lube with my black powder loads. It helps keep your burnt BP in your bore softer, you can shoot many rounds using SPG and a blow tube to keep your powder residue softer. And it helps your accuracy. A good magazine to subscribe to is the Black Powder Cartridge News. Lot of good articles. You may want to use a drop tube to load your powder. Shelly