Best Brand for Single Stage Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by El Diablo, Jan 25, 2011.

?

1. Dillon

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Forster

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Hornady

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. RCBS

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. El Diablo

El Diablo New Member

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Best single stage press is the Co-Ax, probably get the vote for every 9 out of 10 that have ever used one. RCBS would get my vote for overall line of single stage presses. Hollywoods are stout, but hard to find.
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

I agree 100% and would add that you wanted to load 50 BMG or some of the big double rifle calibers you would have to go to the RCBS or Hollywood, but if not, nothing beats the Co-Ax as a single stage press.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

I have a strong preference for a Lock-n-load Hornady. I've had Pacific, RCBS, Lee and Lyman - like my Hornady best.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Dillon makes a single stage, I was not aware of that. As for my vote, see post in previous thread.
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

El Diablo, I take it you enjoy creating polls? As a very new member, did you have any particular objective in seeing poll results?

Just wondering.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I'm happy enough with my Redding Ultra Mag; the spent primers fall into a plastic tube, not onto the floor.
  8. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

I have a Lee single stage that came in the Lee aniversary kit. I love it for my 44magnum and other pistol rounds. The Lee dies are inexpensive and work great too.
  9. patriotoutlaw

patriotoutlaw New Member

10. El Diablo

El Diablo New Member

Yes, I am thinking to begin reloading, and I´ll be glad to get opinions from most of you.

TKS
  11. noylj

noylj Member

Best? Forster Co-Ax (owned one since the late '70s, I think.
    IF not that, then the Hornady L-N-L SS.
    After that, I move down to the Lee Breechlock Challenger. After that, any decent press I can buy for cheap or get for free.
  12. RandyP

RandyP Member

there is no 'best' beyond what is best for your individual needs and your unique budget. If you shoot in competitions burning up 1000 rounds a week in practice? There is NO single stage press that is 'best' for you. You really would benefit from a progressive press.

Do you shoot maybe a couple hundred rounds maybe every month or so in one or a few calibers? Any single stage or turret will more than suffice. Shoot less than that? Maybe reloading isn't even the best choice, unless you want to learn a new skill and add another hobby.

Again, you are the judge of what meets your needs. Read up on reloading and many of your questions will be answered (prior to your next poll for 'best' powder or 'best' bullets -lol) I recommend the ABC's of Reloading and the Lee and Lyman manuals. There are also great self-help videos of the process on youtube and the Lee factory website:

http://leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  13. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

Someone tried this on another site that didn't go anywhere because there were too few choices. I didn't vote there and I won't vote here, as neither of my choices for Best Press are listed: CH or Hollywood.
  14. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

15. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

A Hornady is a Pacific - http://www.hornady.com/about-us/history

The only thing to be concerned with when reloading is that the press is precision - which means that the ram is directly in line with the die and there is no binding and the press works reliably for several lifetimes.

Some 50 year old RCBS presses are still being sold on EBAY for as much as a brand new one and the sellers are getting their asking price.
    I have yet to hear of anyone that was using any RCBS component - that had a part break, where RCBS didn't replace it free of charge.
    Even the uncapping pin which is known to break when you try to punch out crimped in primers on old military rounds.
  16. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Gamemaster, I think you'll find that the Hornady Lock n Load came well after the Pacific buyout. Pacific was the start of the Hornady reloading equipment line but they have moved on. A Hornady used to be a Pacific but a LnL Hornady is a Hornady.

BullShoot
  17. noylj

noylj Member

Does Dillon make a single-stage press?
    Shouldn't the choices be:
    Lee
    Hornady
    RCBS
    Redding
    Sinclair
    ??????????????
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  18. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The Dillon RL550B can be used just like a single stage or as a progressive. I am not sure of the other models, but they are probably the same.