The Firearms Forum banner

Best brand of lead melting pot?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tony Mig 
#1 ·
Which one do you have and why do you like it?

Are they all the same or is it just that some a few bells and whistles on them?

#3 ·
A friend of mine at the range used to cast alot. I mentioned in passing that I was wanting to start to cast my own. He has offered for me to take a look at his casting equipment and to pick and choose what I may want. Hopefully he will have a furnace with a bottom pour.

I found a Lee 2 cavity mould for 158 grn swc at a garage sale for $10.00 I picked that up and brought it home. It is in very good shape, it has the handles too. I guess the simpler the better to learn from.

#4 ·
Frosty, I use the Lee 158 gr. SWC with the micro ribs for use with Lee's liquid alox lube. It makes great bullets, and Lee's system of using the liquid alox is easy. You can usually shoot these bullets without sizing, but I got a Lee sizing die for .358, and found that the bullets do vary a little depending on your alloy, and a few other variables, so sizing is always a better option.

Cast them, lube them, and let them sit over night. Size them, and re-lube, let them sit over night again to dry, and you got some highly accurate wadcutters to load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.