1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best brand of lead melting pot?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Jan 24, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

Which one do you have and why do you like it?

Are they all the same or is it just that some a few bells and whistles on them?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Depends on how much you cast. If you are just starting out I would look on Ebay and see what is out there. Most pots I know just have the bottom pour and a heater. Some hold 10 pounds and others hold 20.

I have a Lyman Mag 20 pounder.
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

A friend of mine at the range used to cast alot. I mentioned in passing that I was wanting to start to cast my own. He has offered for me to take a look at his casting equipment and to pick and choose what I may want. Hopefully he will have a furnace with a bottom pour.

I found a Lee 2 cavity mould for 158 grn swc at a garage sale for $10.00 I picked that up and brought it home. It is in very good shape, it has the handles too. I guess the simpler the better to learn from.
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Frosty, I use the Lee 158 gr. SWC with the micro ribs for use with Lee's liquid alox lube. It makes great bullets, and Lee's system of using the liquid alox is easy. You can usually shoot these bullets without sizing, but I got a Lee sizing die for .358, and found that the bullets do vary a little depending on your alloy, and a few other variables, so sizing is always a better option.

Cast them, lube them, and let them sit over night. Size them, and re-lube, let them sit over night again to dry, and you got some highly accurate wadcutters to load.