Best bullet for new savage 10 bat 1&10 twist???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Oti-1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

I just purchased the savage 10 bat in 308. I also bought 1000 Winchester 147 gn bt projectiles. Is anyone running this light of bullet in a 1&10 bolt gun. I'm going to work a load using that bullet. I want consitany at 1000 yds. I know I should probably use 168 grain but I can't find any deals. Any ideas, experience and suggestions would be appreciated. The optic is a vortex viper. 6.5x20x50. I need to settle on a projectile so I can get my custom turrets.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'd rather buy 500ea 175 SMK's for the price of 1000 of the others that most likely won't perform well at 1000yrds. I feel like developing a load for 1000 yrds is pretty much going to be spinning wheels with a 147gn BT. You may find different results, but if you want to play at 1000yrds, you gotta be willing to pay. It will be interesting to see what you can do with the 147gn's. Hopefully you'll prove me wrong and get some good results.
  3. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

Ya that's what I was afraid of. I'm virgin new to 308. I'll work up
    The little guys and see what I can get for accuracy and distance. I'll report back when done. They would probably work great in an ar 10. I'm on the hunt for some 175. I'm excited for the long shots.
  4. firewalker

firewalker New Member

I have had the best luck with 208 gr A max at 1000. I think the 147s will fall short
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Minimum 168 grainers for 1000 yd shooting. The heavier the better and the .30 cal 10 twist will stabilize up to 220 gr bullets.

I much prefer 175 gr SMKs in my Savage .308. The load I have developed with them match perfectly witht he BDC built into the reticle of my scope.

I paid a little over 150 bucks for 500 SMKs form Grafs shipping included, one of the best deals online... http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17640 and they are in stock...
  6. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

Thanks folks. Heavy bullet. I loaded some 147's based on 150 data. And some hornady 165. I shoot today. Break in and zeroing at 100 to 300 yds. I'll report. I'm leaving the seating static at 2.80 and made several charge options. Expectations are realistic. Just excited to shoot new gun. I like graffs. I've got some 168 coming from them. Boat tail no canaloure. Looks slippery. Then I'll do full work up.

What are you guys using for seating depths??
    Not relevant to my gun, but I'm curious all the same.

Cheers
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I started out with the 150gr bullets, and I didn't like what I got. I then moved up to the 170gr bullet, and it worked better, but still not what I'm looking for in accuracy, so will be moving on up to the 180gr bullets. I want to shoot at least three different manufacturers to see which one my rifle likes best.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Oti-1:

You may already know that the twist rate for a given bullet is calculated by the Greenhill formula. The formula does not contain a factor for bullet weight but is based on the bullet diameter and its LENGTH. Below is a chart for some common bullets and the required slowest twist rate that Greenhill says is required.

You can use lighter (SHORTER) bullets but if the twist rate is too fast and the bullets of lesser construction (like lesser hunting bullets) then the bullets may not make it to the target as they will explode mid-path from the excessive spin rate the barrel puts on them (Don't laugh, I have seen it first hand on 223 bullets!).

LDBennett

Sorry about the offset but the column headers are shown first and then the data.

Attached Files:

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My Savage/Criterion loads are set at 2.870" with 175 gr SMKs

Thats .010" off bullet jam