The Firearms Forum banner

Best caliber for hog hunting

14K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Lotsdragon 
#1 ·
What is the best caliber for hog hunting?
Thanks. Good Hunting!

#2 ·
My choice would be the versatile .30-06. I use my Browning BLR for all my hunting excursions.

#4 ·
i agree with everybody so far, i pick a 308 if i were hunting. however if your ever in one of those ranches, like i have been in, we have used 223's in the ear at night while enjoying a cocktail or 2. :D:D:D:D

yea 308, 3006, 30-30,

#6 ·
The versitility of the .30-06, especially if one hand loads, enable it to be used effectively on most game, including the biggest in this hemisphere.

There also is enough variety in the marketplace to enable the right load for the right game to be purchased.

#13 ·
I usualy use the 8mm mouser. I like the range on it cuz me personally I dont wanna be too damn close to a P/Oed pig.

#15 ·
The 30-06 is a great round that is for sure. I like to hunt my hogs with a 358 Winchester, using a 200 grain bullet, it leaves the hogs DRT (Dead Right There) a 3 inch S&W 686 as a back up / close range gun with 158 grain jacketed soft point is always in the shoulder holster while hog hunting.

#19 ·
Many, many hogs have been killed with the lowley old .22LR. Personally I think anything bigger would be a better choice to do the job. Whisper air guns is advertizing their new high powered air gun on TV by shooting, and killing a hog. Just don't use 00 Buck! You can't get enough penitration with that load. Hogs is mean, when I shoot one I want him to lay down and go to sleep on the spot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.