best caliber for varmits

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by topper, Jan 11, 2009.

1. topper

topper New Member

what would be the best of these for varmits... centerfire .22 hornet, .204, .22-250? by varmits, i mean, raccoons, wild pigs, stray dogs, squirrel, etc. i'm having an awful time keeping these critters off my property and outta my garden. i really need something more than a .22 long rifle rimfire. it just seems to pi$$ off some stray dogs.
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I love my CZ in .204 Ruger, got it for coyotes.

The tree rats look like Achmed when hit with a .50 cal. :D
  3. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I'm a big fan of the .223 and .22-250, but a guy at the range recently told me he has switched to .204 due to it's flat trajectory. I'm not all that quick or eager to take on another caliber at this point in my life, so I'll keep burning more powder than I need to ! :D
  4. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

the 22 250 well be more than enought gun for your problem. the only problem being wild pigs. how big are they? idont think i would use a varmit rifle on a big pig. maybe you would be better off with a 30 30 winchester or a308 marlin express. just some food for thought, good luck.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Adding wild hogs to the mix changes the caliber to a larger one in my mind. A 30/06 will give you several bullet weights to choose from. Hogs are tough and granted you could try for head shots but once you kill a couple the others smarten up. The other option is always 2 rifles which is never a bad thing. The 22-250 is a very accurate caliber and will flatten a yote and the 223 can do it all as well. Good luck.
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I sure like the old 220 swift as well

It will shot just as flat as a 204 with much more pay load, and energy. If you had a .220 Swift you would find no need for a 204 IMHO. Just shot a coyote today with one at VERY long range. You can also get Hornaday ammo loaded with bullets designed for deer hunting, and they would probably work for hogs as well. If you have neighbors near by go with a Hornet, and you won't disturb them, and it will kill anything you need to with a well placed head shot.... Best regards Kirk
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

topper,

if your considering a new gun in one of these cal. I'd say buy yourself a ar in 223. It may serve a dual purpose, critter killing and self defense. .02
  8. Rick65Cat

Rick65Cat New Member

.204 32gr Vmax at about 200 yrds.......
    need I say more? :D

[​IMG]
  9. LFH

LFH New Member

I am also very impressed with the .204. Picked up a Rem 700 a while back and using the Hornady V-Max and either 32 or 40 g it shoots half inch or less groups. In our late season Doe/Spike hunt, used it to take three doe for the freezer. With it's accuracy, did a under the ear neck shot on them and they dropped in their tracks. Nice hole without tearing up excessive met.

But, the son in law did the same thing with the Win 70 .223 and a 55g lead nose round.
  10. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yeah, ditto! :D
  11. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i have to agree with Tim and Terry. i wouldnt use a .204 on a pig. ESPECIALLY Texas pig. never seen one up close but ive heard they can get huge. id suggest maybe a .243 or .25-06?? thatd be aoverkill for tree rats though:p:cool: "P" for plenty:D a .220 swift would probably do the job it youre wanting an "everything" rifle:confused:
  12. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

topper, i mentioned your question to a friend of mine.. and he mentioned another possible option. depending on the situation of your funds you could perhaps buy a TC Encore and just buy a few different barrels and forearms for them...? then you would have 2 or 3 guns in 1..
  13. Red84

Red84 New Member

I like the .22-250, you can get some broader range in grain weight for the loads than the .204, for more versatility, but thats hard for me to say because Im a big fan of the.204 also:)
  14. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Up until I started this remodel project I normally hunt about five days per week,sometimes more than that. I prefer the 22-250 with 55 Gr. Nosler Ballistic tip bullets for Coyote and Bobcat coming in to my call. For Cougar treed with dogs I use a 22 Hornet with 40 Gr.Ballistic tips.I use a Remington VSSF with a 4.5X14X40 Zeiss. Works for me.:) Good Luck hunting and stay safe. catfish
  15. richmanrs

richmanrs New Member

I would have to agree with catfish on his choice of the 22-250 but when you throw in wild pigs you may want to lean towards a 260 rem with 120 gr bal. tip