Best cartridge for home defense?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by New Guy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

"Coach gun" comes from the old, short, double-barreled shotguns carried on stage coaches. Commonly sold with 20 inch barrels, but also available in 18" (my preference). The only way to get even close to the short overall length in a pump gun is a pistol grip, which is much harder to control than you might imagine.

And I agree on the light. You can buy small LED lights now with unbelievable output that will paste an intruders eyeballs to the back of their skull. And for very reasonable cost. (I'm a flashlight buff too.)
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Mine started life as a pistol grip. It took all of 30 minutes and a philips screwdriver to add all the junk on mine. (and blue locktite)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's a nice, wicked setup you have there Clinger! Real nice, plenty of
    round to go around!:)
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    All I have to add is:

Attached Files:

5. dragman

dragman New Member

I have a few home defense weapons:
    AK47 pistol - beside the bed
    Shotguns - In a couple different rooms
    AR 15 - Sits out beside the gun safe usually
    Glock 10mm - in the kitchen
    S&W 38's - 1 in each vehicle

You can never be too safe.
  6. ozo

ozo Active Member

Two coachguns 12ga & .410ga
    Also, the modifications are simple.
    If it is the pistol grip....simply unscrew the stock,
    and screw on the pistol grip.

Attached Files:

7. ozo

ozo Active Member

Coachguns 12ga & .410ga

Attached Files:

8. ozo

ozo Active Member

Coachgun 12ga
    Only drawback.....holds 2 rounds

Attached Files:

• 073.jpg
      073.jpg
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
    • 074.jpg
      074.jpg
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
    • 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
    • 077.jpg
      077.jpg
      File size:
      73.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Very nice, Carver. 1100?
  10. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Thanks for the clarification on the coach gun... I feel smarter now.
  11. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Buckshot hit on a very important point - penetration/overpenetration. In the home, and/or in a residential area, a stray shot, or a ball round, or other projectile that can pass by, or through, the intruder and out through the drywall and vinyl siding, and over to visit the neighbors, or through the drywall into the kids/guest room behind or beside the intruder, is a real concern. Now, I am a huge fan of 357/41/44 mags, but there is a REAL possibility, even if you HIT the intruder, that the projectile will go FARTHER than that. First and foremost, I agree with all the posters who said SHOTGUN; my personal choice is a coach gun as well, but a pump or semi, or even a "$50 single barrel from a flea market" beats the hell outta going to investigate the "bump in the night" with your titanium putter in your hand. I personally prefer larger bird shot (like turkey loads) or smaller buck shot, to 0-00-000, again due to the issues associated with residential penetration. The same is true for 223 and 7.62x39, and any other/larger rifle calibers; the odds of passing by or through the intruder and visiting someone else in the house, or on the block, is pretty great. I havent personally fired any of the new (ok, I'm OLD, so everything since Reagan is NEW) ammo like magsafe, and similar "reduced penetration" home defense rounds seem on face to be a good choice. Does anyone have experience with any of these wonder bullets and what are your opinions??
  12. carcinogen

carcinogen New Member

38 special revolver with 158g LSWCHP
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Frangible bullets like the Glaser Safety Slug, and Mag Safe ammo are designed to break up, or come apart upon impact. This type of ammo produces little, to no splashback, and vastly decreased ricochets. However, they are not a good choice for SD, IMHO. Will they penitrate enough to stop the BG? Who knows? What if the BG is shooting at you from behind a wall in your home, and he isn't using frangible ammo? Will this type of bullet stop the BG? Eventually is the best you can hope for with ammo that isn't designed to penitrate deep enough to reach vital organs. In a shoot out Eventually just isn't good enough!

Read more here:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts

Scroll halfway down the page to "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness"
  14. roaddog28

roaddog28 New Member

This is my number one home defense gun and ammo. In the home your looking at 10 to 20 feet. If a person is lucky that close they may get three shots off. First two should be center mass and last one to the head. If a person does not do that the likely hood of surviving the gun fight is not good. A 12 guage is a great home defense weapon but the recoil is fierce and for woman they might be afraid to use a shot gun.
    You have a 40 S&W. Their are several very good rounds made by Remington, Federal and Winchester that have passed FBI standards. Which ever round you choose you need to practice with that round. Self defense ammo shoots different from practice or range ammo. Here is the link on these rounds.
    Good luck,
    Howard
    http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.40 S&W
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  15. vytoland

vytoland New Member

S&W "K" frame with .38 special DEWC
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  16. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Best cartridge is one that fires when the firing pin strikes it. :eek: A shotgun will stop anyone if you hit them and it gives you a good chance at hitting them. As for handgun whatever caliber pistol you handle best. I prefer a 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr in it. But whatever you feel comfortable with and can shoot well will work.