"Best Cheap Self Defense Handgun Available"

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Not just No but HE!! No
  2. shooter

shooter New Member

no offense either..yeah what he said...no "cheap" and "plinker" or "range gun" or "just something to shoot/tinker with or have in the collection" go together a little better to me than "my life may depend on this" .

but my buddy just bought the Hi Point 9mm ..it got a good review in Combat handuns recently ..i think the retail is $129...no frills shoot em up gun..the only thing i can say negative is it doesnt shoot the cheap ammo..so range time could get pricey..but i shot it and it wasnt bad..but i doubt id buy one..since you can get a glock, springfield xd for descent money..good luck on what u choose..and for self defense nothing less than a 9mm ..at least thats what the experts say
  3. IBFrank

IBFrank New Member

Makarovs are great little pistols. The Polish P-64 is almost as good except for da trigger pull. There may be some competition for mighty Mak in the form of the CZ-82. It's Makarov/PPK based and holds 12 =1rd.s of 9X18 Mak. J&G price $229.95 w/2 12rd. mags,holster, cleaning rod, & lanyard. Just got a Bulgi mak at pawn shop for $189.00+tax. It would cost $30.00 for gas to get one out of town. Had a beautiful Russian Baikal IJ-70 Stolen. Had a real nice P-64 stolen. This one goes with me.
    Maks aren't cheap. They are inexpensive! And damn good deals still, or even so with a slight price increase.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

A accurate, reliable hand gun that you practice with and have become proficent with. Whatever it is.
  5. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Best Cheap dependable Defense gun would be a used Smith & Wesson model 10 .38 spl. in a 2" for carry 4" for home. If it's to double for carry and home go with the 2".They are a proven design trouble free and can be purchased realitivly cheaply used. I have one for over 30 yrs and it still shoots as good or better than new,:D --JMJ--Hard to beat a K frame Smith
  6. IBFrank

IBFrank New Member

The Makarov. Safety; up is safe, down is shoot. On safe means it can't be cocked, slide can't be racked, trigger can't be pulled, firing pin is blocked. When off safe; firing pin still blocked until trigger is fully pulled to fire (safe to carry with cartridge in chamber and safety off!--uncocked and UNlocked). + it's small, easy to carry/hide, 8+1 capacity of 9X18, built like a tank, accurate enough, will ALWAYS WORK, fool proof safety, easy to tear down/clean, powerful enough, works flawlessly with hollow points or ball ammo, cheap plentiful ammo, don't cost a fortune, immune to dirt and crud, easy to shoot well, virtually idiot proof, can be made .380 with just a bbl. swap (but why?).
    I've got me convinced! Don't leave home without it. Hard to argue with that! It has SO MUCH going for it that only a diehard reader of 'GUNS' or 'AMERICAN HANDGUNNER' would not like it due to their worship of 1911s (I have one of them, but it's too big and clunky to carry comfortably.) Jeez! I've just blasphemed an American idol and made a good argument against it!
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  7. obxned

obxned New Member

.45 Hi-Point.

Yes, I am serious. It's cheap, ugly, feels funny to my hand, but it seems to do the job. I've seen several at the range including a brand new 1 today that fired it's first 100 rounds without a problem. They seem plenty accurate too.
  8. obxned

obxned New Member

Hi-Point .45 - and yes, I do know how ugly it is.
  9. NY_GUNFIGHTER

NY_GUNFIGHTER New Member

How's about a police surplus S&W 10? 2 or 4 inch barrel, 38 Special, can use +Ps, and can be had for >$150. By me the guns hops are full of em
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

I got NO problems with the idea; It's ecologically sound (you are re-cycling), Economically sound (they are relatively cheap, and totally depreciated), and logically sound (Millions of cops bet their ass on them, and their reliable function, for many years!).
    Cop 'turn in's' are a source we need to look at,more often, as they sell cheaply, being high wear, low use weapons (carried daily, seldom shot) maintained to high standards by trained personel (Police armorers).
    They used to be even cheaper; my $90, 4", S&W M-10 Heavy Barrel, has, with a bit of effort, a trigger that feels, double action, like squeezing thru an over ripe bannana, at about six pounds, yet is 100% reliable.
    Would I 'stake my bacon' on it? Hell yes, would and have,
    Understand, I am a 1911 kinda guy, and WTSHTF, hope to have a couple, near at hand, and not withstanding my affinity for Smith coil spring J frames, in 3" lengths, still must allow that the K-Frame Smith is likely the most reliable platform, given the variety of users, on earth.
    A moron can use it, with little instruction; one must line up the sights, and pull.
    If and when, my backside is in a bind, and I need some real help, right now, I hope my 'guardian Angel ' is so armed, his gun, or mine,
    to cover my six!
    A fine choice!
  11. stetson

stetson New Member

The Russian Mak is a great little pistol for the money and the Bugarian JR is less
    cash and still worth every penny !Again Iwould NEVER TRUST my life with a high point !