Best & cheapest ONLINE 2nd hand gun store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluesea112, Mar 31, 2007.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I would sure appreciate a link to an online 2nd hand gun store that has a history of selling their guns cheap. I enjoy refinishing the wood on old guns, and the only online stores I find try to get full retail for a 50% gun.
    If anybody cares to share, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bluesea112
  2. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Looks like a deep hole full of *%#@. Just another attack by our government, that does not have that right in the first place. Interesting. Be sure to tell your government to go seek copulation elsewhere immediately, without sponcership or support from big oil.

This oil is good for nothing - can't even make popcorn, so send it back to Iran. Well, you let government take a hand .....
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thanks for the link Pistol. I might consider getting a C&R, but most of the guns I buy are not 50 years old. Once they get to that age you find a lot of metal issues like pitting and such. I know just enough about metal refinishing to really mess up an otherwise fixable gun. I prefer rifles that are 10 - 30 years old, because they usually just need the wood refinished and a good cleaning. Thanks again for the link though. I am going to give serious consideration to the C&R FFL. If for no other reason, it would be nice to by supplies wholesale.

Bluesea112
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I think Lead Lobber meant to post that in a different thread.
  5. Actually, blue, many of the C&R firearms you can purchase are in quite excellent shape. It depends, of course, but very often the metal on these old rifles is not pitted at all and of fine quality. One of the best deals out there right now is the K-31 Swiss rifle (7.5x55 caliber). These rifles were properly stored and maintained and are simply in outstanding condition. The Russian Mosin-Nagants, while much cruder in design, are usually in very good shape if you purchase from a reputable dealer, like AIM or SOG. On the ones I buy, I usually refinish the stock and do only a bit of touch-up cold bluing if it seems necessary to hide minor scratches and the like. Ammo is also cheap, I might add. :cool: And yes, if you have even a C&R license, many of the parts dealers will give you a very nice discount. Brownells is one such example. I get 20% off on everything I buy there.
  6. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Pistol,

How much more difficult is it to get a regular FFL versus the C&R FFL? Is it simply a cost issue, or is there a lot more paperwork and hoops to jump through?

Bluesea112
  7. Blue, it is MUCH more difficult to get a full (Type 01) FFL. The full license is generally considered a license to do business in firearms, whereas a C&R is a license theoretically intended only for firearms collectors. With a Type 03, you are not legall permitted to carry on a business. As a general rule (there are some exceptions), a Type 03 is limited to firearms over 50 years old, and even then there are some rifles and pistols excluded. BTAF&E publishes a list of specific weapons allowed under a Type 03. For a Type 01, you must normally show that you have a business location, proper local licenses to do business, and locked storage acceptable to BTAF&E. The cost is also much higher for a Type 01. In recent years BTAF&E has considerably tightened up their requirements for the Type 01.
  8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thank you for the information.