1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best choke for #00 Buck

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Jake, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake Member

I'm going coyote hunting soon and wondered what choke might be the best for 00 Buck?
  2. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

From what I've heard, a more open choke (Mod. or bigger) keeps the shot from deforming when it is squeezed together at the choke and they fly more true and give a better pattern. Haven't tested this. I used #4 Buck on coyotes and it is true for that size. #4 is .24 caliber and there are around 36 pellets in a 2 3/4" shell. Gives a pattern they can't walk through.

I read a great article by Peter Hathaway Capstick, who did a lot of testing on large shot sizes, but can't at the moment find where it was written. I do remember he recommends #1 Buck for deer-sized game because of better patterning.

We first started getting coyotes in northern Illinois in '72 or '73. Nobody knew how to hunt them and they became a menace. Especially bad on the hog farrowing operations that had the individual little sheds for each sow. They'd jump the fence, grab a little pig and be gone. Hope you get a bunch of them---Mike
  3. Jake

Jake Member

What about the effective range of 00's?
  4. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

25 to 40yds depending on how that particular load flies out of your shotgun. At the outside range you are probably only going to hit with 2 or 3 pellets out of the 12 pellet load of a 2 3/4" standard loading at 1200-1300fps, but they weigh 49 grains each and ought to carry enough to penetrate. You just couldn't be guaranteed a sure kill. Heavy loads in 3" or 31/2" magnums would improve the odds.

So lets say 30yds is a more reasonable range for standard buck. It is still good to go shoot one at some paper or cardboard or something and see what that load will do in your gun.---Mike
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

deformation of shot has little relevance at shotgun ranges, i mean, have you ever taken apart even the so called "premium" buckshot loads, the shot is all dented and out of round before you even fire them... in my opinion, its just a way to sell the latest technology to todays gullible shooters, i use all my buckshot loads in a tube designed for turkey hunting, they simply fly farther as a group before dispersing. just my $.02