Best combination of 9mm dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by southerncomforthemi, Jan 18, 2009.

1. southerncomforthemi

southerncomforthemi New Member

I have the luxury of choosing any mix or match of 9mm luger dies form my Loadmaster.

I am leaning towards Redding with Comp seating die.

However which companies make the best dies for each individual function.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i like LEE carbide pistol dies.
  3. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

If you want to use lead instead of jacketed bullets, I would suggest the Hornady seating die. Its insides are easily removed for cleaning (the lube on lead bullets tends to gum up the insides of seating dies) without tools or messing up the settings. They have a sliding alignment sleeve that helps align the bullet with the case before trying to seat it. They also have an optional micrometer seating depth adjustment. They will crimp while seating, but I don't know how easy that is with a taper crimped cartridge. The work very well crimping while seating roll crimped cartridges.

Sizing dies are much more similar between different manufacturers. Carbide or Titanium Nitride dies are best, since they do not require lubricating the brass before resizing. Pick one, they're all good.

Expanding dies from Lyman or Redding are best. They have a two stage expansion that opens up the case mouth a little and then flares it.

If you want to crimp separately after seating (not a bad idea if you have an available station on your progressive press), taper crimp dies are all about the same except the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp dies. They have a carbide post-sizing ring that irons out any case buckling that may have occurred if there were problems with the crimp. IMHO, they only do any good if you have a problem that needs to be addressed elsewhere (i.e. inconsistent brass length, etc.)

Andy
  4. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

me too.
  5. southerncomforthemi

southerncomforthemi New Member

I think I have chosen.....Redding Pro seating die......Redding titanium sizing and taper crimp die.

Ok...best bullet, powder and promers for 9mm sig p299r....

please.
  6. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

If Lead bullet, Dillon seater allows disassembly w/o loss of adjustment

I'm running them in 9mm, .38 Special, .45 acp. Especially valuable if you are using Lee Liquid Alox lube on cast bullets. Not just easy to take apart, but no loss of adjustment:
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24469/catid/4/Dillon_Seating_Dies

I had trouble with really thin brass many years ago with old Remington .45 acp brass. This resulted in low neck tension. If you think you even might run into such a problem, you might look into the undersize sizing dies EGW has made for them by Lee:
    http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=40