Best for me?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TheDoctor, Sep 16, 2010.

1. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Former Guest

I'm searching for the perfect handgun for me to carry. I'm a small guy, about 5"10 and 110 lbs. I have small hands and a Beretta 92F doesn't fit comfortably in my hands, as a reference guide. I recently bought a double action revolver that I thought was nifty for personal defense, until I did some research. It was an H&R Model 732. I'd like a good semi-auto pistol, preferably a .32 cal or .25 cal. And a must is to have a hammer you can clearly see. I like the 1911 frame, and the Beretta 92F frame. Any help?
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Beretta, any of the .32 cal models will work fine, My wife is but a 5'2" little dinky thing and these little jewels fit her just fine. These fall in the pocket category on the Beretta website. Taurus makes a few models also but I would stay away from them for the most part cuz the quality on their stuff has been less than par as of late. High Point will do you no good cuz they are too bulky. I looked through the other manufacturers and wasnt able to see much that would calssify as what you are looking for that would be of any quality. Here is what I would do, hit up your local pawn shops and gun shops, even go to a couple of gun shows. Look and pick up diffrent guns and see what feels right in your hand. if it feels good as long as it is a quality firearm then get it. If it is a odd ball name stay away from it. You are lookng for a carry gun, not something you are better off throwing at a would be bad guy. My personall opinion though is the Beretta's though. Go to my profile and click on my albums, there is a pic of an older Beretta in there, that is about the size of what I think you are looking for. My wife carries on just like it and I pocket carry that one in the pic all the time.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Doc,

Welcome and G'day

try the Kimber 4" but in .22 WMR way more punch that a average 32

more shock ...

i chat with a US mate , he has small hands , i've seen him here and seen the issue

but he's just got one of the mini 1911 they make and raves about it

and it was not that bad in price,

and from my own experience there was a small S&W semi auto nick named the lady smith

it was designed for police women but they made it is a goodly range of calibers 22 and others with .40 and a .45 model

my wife had tiny hands so i got this for the home as we could both use it well and it'd do the job if needed

i miss those days eh ( gun control here now)

good luck
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

lots to choose from. but if you have your mind made up on a 25 acp and lord knows why ???? you might consider a 22 , so if small calibers are what you're looking for the beretta bobcat in 22 will fill the bill, also check out the beretta tomcat in 32 acp. now another overlooked choice is the accu-tek 380 , yes it has a hammer and is very thin and easy to slip in your pocket. though not having a real good reputation in the past the quality has improved over the years and the lastest examples i've seen and fired seem worth while. but do some internet searches and reconsider the 25acp trust me when i say you'd be better off with a 22 , and even better yet look at nothing less than a 380 auto maybe a walther ?
  5. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Former Guest

I picked up a Llama .22 on a 1911 frame. I think this'll do fine for now. Unless Llama's are bad. :S
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

llama's are questionable. sometimes you get one that works great for years. i think everyone would agree that they do not hold up quite as good as other brands. but as you said, it should do for now.

i went back and read your original post doc. (you'd be surprised that a lot of people dont do that)

you like the look of a 1911, but you didnt say if it fit your hand. if it does, i would recommend a 1911. if 45acp is a little much for you, 1911's can be had in either 9mm or 40 S&W.
    http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/KimberProCarryII9mm.htm

if the 1911 is a little large for your hands you might check out springfield armory's EMP model. it is basically a 1911 style gun that is fitted around the 9mm or 40 size cartridges, so the grip is smaller and the gun is thinner.
    http://www.m1911.org/ezine/SAemp.htm

colt made a little 25 auto for a while with an exposed hammer called the "junior" they aren't made by colt, but for colt somewhere overseas... i cannot remember where though. they are not collectors pieces though so you'll be able to pick one up for 400ish i think
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=_FOVTKbdMYKBlAengMGnCg&ved=0CC0Q9QEwBg

you did specify 25 or 32 caliber, but i am assuming that you're not opposed to a larger caliber. so i am suggesting some larger ones.

beretta 1934 chambered for 380 caliber
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_M_1934

another nice little 380 is a colt mustang i'd LOVE to have one of these
    http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/mustang.htm

you can get a walther ppk in 32acp,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPK

i hope these links help you a little, i tried to recommend guns that had hammers as you requested, but i also did not recommend something i would not carry myself. and while i would prefer a larger caliber firearm like a 1911, i do on occasion carry one of these

http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

God bless you.

~john
  7. TTE

TTE Member

[​IMG]

Sig

380 Auto

Light, accurate, reliable.

I really like mine.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

When you said you like the 1911 but want something small, I immediately thought of the Colt Mustang. You can find one used, or the same gun is now built by SIG and designated the P238.
  9. pawn

pawn New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  10. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

What about a walther ppk or pps or for the budget a bersa. Wide array of calibers all in small but nice packages.
  11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Former Guest

All wonderful suggestions, thank you. When I replace my Llama I'll probably go with a Beretta M 1934, though. As much as I dislike hammerless I'm actually going and buying a Glock 35 in a .40. I'm trying to get on with the local sheriff's department and that's what they carry. I may not like it, but if I wanna do my civic duty I gotta do it. :(
  12. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

I would consider a .32 acp Beretta semi-automatic pistol. I would also carry at least 2 extra magazines with the gun at all times and I would practice the Mozambique Shooting Technique of 2 to the chest and 1 to the head. The Beretta is a very small handgun and the .32 acp can be an effective round when used in the right fashion.
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

local gunsmith advised me to stay clear of the tomcats. said if you take the grips of springs and pins go flying and they are a bear to get back together.
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I don't go anywhere without my .32 kel tec. Both mags are the ten rounders and it likes the Speer 71 grn.
  15. bank_man

bank_man New Member

Stay away from the tomcat, its alloy and crap. I have two. A north american arms .22 mag 5 shot with 11/4 inch barrel. Fits in a pants pocket in summer and it packs a punch. I carry a Glock 26 9mm with no safety in cooler weather. It will stop anyone. Good luck.
  16. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

How about a Khar pm9 or 40. I have the pm9 and it will fit a smaller size hand for sure. I carry mine in my pocket for a backup to my 1911. A little smaller than a baby glock.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  17. dualsportrider

dualsportrider New Member

Most people with small hands wouldn't find the Beretta 92F a good fit. I have medium sized hands and its a bit thick to me. You made quite a jump from a .25 or .32 to the 1911 .45 or the Beretta. Personally I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a .38 and if you insist, get the Ruger LCP in 380. Much better choice than any .25 or .32 and lighter than the former two choices.
  18. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My Girlie hands love my Kahr CW40. The CW9 is pretty soft shooting as well. There are a great value and can be found for just under $400 new, if you search hard enough.
  19. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

try one of the compact 1911s (defender/officer's)... the springfield emp is another good choice.

personally, i would not carry anything smaller than a 9x19. if you can handle the more powerful rounds, go with those.

if the 1911 is not for you, i would really take a good look at some of the compact and sub-compact glock models. they're inexpensive, lightweight, have a high ammo capacity and you can get parts for them pretty easily.

what you should strive for is something that's comfortable for you to shoot and carry. and something you feel you could depend on to save your life.

i think for semi-autos, the best two calibers you can use for SD are .40 s&w or .45acp. for a revolver, i'd probably stand by a .38 special. if you could handle the recoil, .357 magnum is better.

another really good round is the .357sig. it's basically a .357 caliber bullet on a necked down .40s&w casing. i have a police buddy that carries a sig sauer p226r in .357sig and he says it's a very effective round.

i've really gotten into pistols in the last year or so and have handled/shot many. i have to say i like 1911s the best, but they aren't for everybody. i learned to shoot with a s&w 629 classic .44 magnum.

let us know what you decide on.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010