The Firearms Forum banner

Best groups at 25-50-100 or more yards. Open sights

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gunguy25 
#1 ·
I have been shooting now for about 3 years. Never did have any interest in guns untill I was at a buddy's house and he was shooting his SKS and let me pop a few rounds off. Thats all it took. I have 11 rifles 3 shotguns and 4 pistols now and a very understanding wife that has never compained about any purchase!
My question to you guys and gals. What kind of groups are you able to acheave with open sights? Most of my rifles dont have scopes, some do, but I enjoy the challeng of open sight shooting. I would like to see what is average and what is exceptional to give me something to work toward in my shooting.
It doesnt matter what distance or weapon your shooting as long as its open sight I would like to see you best.

Thanks

#2 ·
A couple of questions....:)

Hunting sights? Peeps? Full Race target peeps?

With hunting opens, maybe 1.5" at 50yds., hunting peeps definately 1" or better at 50 yds., With NRA targets and Modern target peeps, 1/2" and better are attainable at 50yds. With the target apeature sight at 600 yds. I have shot about a 10" 10 shot string, prone with a sling, no bench rest. Others have done considerably better than this at 600 yds. ( I have scored their targets!:p)

So what are you able to do?:):D

Regards, Kirk

#3 ·
I picked up an 03 springfield and shot 3 rounds in a 4" group at 100 yrds and then pulled one that almost missed the paper. My best 3 shot group at 50 yrds so far is about 1.75" with the same rifle. I am very happy with the rifle. The first pic is of the 03 target at 50 yrds. The second is a pic I took of a target at 50 yards I shot with a Yugo 8mm mouser my wife bought me last year using mil surplus ammo. I have some new production ammo to try in it and dies to start reloading for it but the surplus stuff shoots pretty impressive to me.

Attachments

#4 ·
A couple of questions....:)

Hunting sights? Peeps? Full Race target peeps?

With hunting opens, maybe 1.5" at 50yds., hunting peeps definately 1" or better at 50 yds., With NRA targets and Modern target peeps, 1/2" and better are attainable at 50yds. With the target apeature sight at 600 yds. I have shot about a 10" 10 shot string, prone with a sling, no bench rest. Others have done considerably better than this at 600 yds. ( I have scored their targets!:p)

So what are you able to do?:):D

Regards, Kirk
As long as your not using a scope its fair game. Just post what your using to get the groups your shooting.

#5 ·
my best group with a 14" T/C Contender Pistol on sand bags with Factory open sights shooting factory 30-30 ammo I got a 5" group at 100 yards, 10 shot group.
With my Ruger MKII pistol I got about a 6-1/2" group.
Never tried it with rifles, except my 12 bore, didn't do to good with that one.
Best 100 yard pistol group with scope was just under 1".

#6 ·
100 yards, 105 year old Swede M38 and handloads (still working on them)

50 yards, 65 year old MN M-44 and surplus ammo

Dang....can't find the picture. It's about .75 " for five shots. I don't know if it will do it consistently, but I did it once and that's proof enough for me!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.