The Firearms Forum banner

best gun for yotes

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  bigdad5 
#1 ·
What is the best cal for yotes in and around a subdivision

#7 ·
IMO, it would depend on which way your shooting, how far away are the houses. I personally wouldn't shoot any rifle/shotgun within 100-150 yards from any house (here in PA thats the minimum distance from any building in any direction). I wouldn't hesitate to use my crossbow even at 10ft. At 350 feet per second this thing is deadly even at 50-60 yards and without the noise.

#9 ·
I'd vote for the 12 guage with as large buckshot as you can get, or slugs...because it's in a subdivision; proximity of houses. I'm guessing any yotes will be at relatively close range.

#11 ·
I'm guessing you know not to shoot in the direction of the homes for any reason. With that said, I would suggest a .22 magnum properly sighted with a scope or a standard .22. (They sell .22 ammo that is super quiet.) Reason being coyotes often move early or late and you don't want the entire neighborhood on their porch saying; "What was that"? A 3.5 12 ga. buckshot sounds very similar to something blowing up (which it is actually). We lost two good goose pits because people built housing developments near them and then complained of our early morning goose greetings. (They were good pits too!! Had to sound like the Normandy Landing).

Thinking about it, don't curl your lip at the .22. Quiet, accurate, and deadly. Especially near a development where the critters are used to the smell of human scent and a good blind will allow them in close and personal. For years the Israeli army, deer poachers, and mafia hit men made a living with the little .22. The .22 mag is louder, and has a faster effect on the life expectancy of what it enters, and is just a fun gun to shoot. Plus not the noise of a .243 .222 etc. But I would never discount the ole .22.

Big word of caution. If you are in walking distance of a development you are guaranteed to have children playing in the fields. (Even if their parents told them no.) You must have a clear picture of in front and behind your target.
For years I've shot into the valley behind my home. It is practically inaccessible. The bottom is mostly bog. The creek is either too wide or too deep. The far border is a fenced in private land.

I walked out this summer with my .22 pistol and prepared to shoot. In 10 years I have never seen anyone in the valley. I’ve never found any human tracks. Before I started shooting I called out saying I’m about to shoot in the valley. Is there anyone there? Nothing. I loaded the gun, walked to the top of the hill and called out again. Even when I’m on a firing range beside friends, I call out “going hot”!

A little voice came from the creek. “Can you help me, I’m lost.” It turned out a beautiful 8 year old girl and her two dogs had been visiting one of the neighbors. She followed the dogs into the valley and ended up in my shooting area with the dogs well down the creek. She was wearing bright pink top and bottom, but I couldn’t see her as soon as she stepped behind a bush. She was trying to be seen, just think of spotting two “minds of mush” 8 year old boys out there wearing their **** skin caps and camo. Just saying please be careful. I know if a coyote is walking down the trail, most likely a child isn’t following him, but just the same. Also remember bullets bounce of the ground in some cases.

You might want to invest in some coyote hunting gear such as decoy, call, and stuff.

Lastly, get a digital camera and post pictures of your success. Give us every detail.

Good hunting

Fred

#12 ·
Good points jstgsn.

They sell "sound moderators"--silencers for .22's over here. Can you get one where you are?

#14 ·
#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's what I was thinking about
. I have a hill that I can sit on that looks into an open creek bottom. Thought about a decoy down there. It is about a 70 to 100 yard shot. Always here them yipping behind my house,,,drives my two dogs on the porch crazy enough to start howling

.22 Hornet loaded with Hornady's 35 grain V-max over Hod Lil' Gun powder.
Shoots flat, hits hard and doesn't make a lot of noise......Don

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Actually I have one ordered for my Ruger SR22 but it will be 4 to 6 months for the ATF to do what they do before I get it. Rifle is what I would use anyway not my 22 pistol
But that may give me an excuse to buy another rifle

Good points jstgsn.

They sell "sound moderators"--silencers for .22's over here. Can you get one where you are?

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
just think of spotting two "minds of mush" 8 year old boys out there wearing their **** skin caps and camo. Just saying please be careful.
Your comments brought back a memory that made my blood run cold. Didn't wintness the incident, but saw the aftermath a month or so later. This was back in NY about 25 years ago. Guy had gone chuck hunting with his Mini-14 - don't recall what sort of scope was on it, and had his wife along to serve as a spotter. He takes a shot at 250 yards or so, apparently scores a hit, and sends wifey downrange to confirm it. While she's out looking for the dead critter he continues scoping the terrain for another target, spots it and fires. The round connected just behind his wife's right ear, took out some jawbone and a lot of cheek, and exited at her chin. She survived, and after Lord knows how many surgeries her face was put back together - more or less. Personally I think this guy should've done jail time for that.

#23 ·
Your comments brought back a memory that made my blood run cold. Didn't wintness the incident, but saw the aftermath a month or so later. This was back in NY about 25 years ago. Guy had gone chuck hunting with his Mini-14 - don't recall what sort of scope was on it, and had his wife along to serve as a spotter. He takes a shot at 250 yards or so, apparently scores a hit, and sends wifey downrange to confirm it. While she's out looking for the dead critter he continues scoping the terrain for another target, spots it and fires. The round connected just behind his wife's right ear, took out some jawbone and a lot of cheek, and exited at her chin. She survived, and after Lord knows how many surgeries her face was put back together - more or less. Personally I think this guy should've done jail time for that.
Iwould agree... On the other hand I suspect he gets daily multiple reminders of that day-every time he looks at her.

Id bet he is a 'gun safety advocate' par excellance now..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.