Best gun vise for hobby smithing?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CampingJosh, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. CampingJosh

    CampingJosh Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Messages:
    5,307
    Location:
    Indiana
    I'm getting more and more into hobby gunsmithing, and I'm thinking that I need to get one of the various gun vises. Anybody have one that you like a lot? Anyone have one you dislike?

    I've been looking specifically at these two, but I could always be talked into something different.
    Tipton Best Gun Vise
    Lyman Revolution Gun Vise
  2. Jim K

    Jim K New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009
    Messages:
    6,400
    Those are often called cradles and are fine for limited duty, like boresighting, stock inletting, or minor work, but I would not use one as my main shop vise for heavier work. Gunsmiths generally have several vises, a light bench vise for work on small parts, a Versa Vise (Multi-Vise) or similar for work on frames and actions, a stockmaker's vise for work on rifle stocks, which is or can be used as a checkereing cradle, a drill press vise with multi adjustments, a huge brute of a vise for barrel bushings, etc. Then there will be really specialty vises like pin vises.

    The beginner gunsmith won't need all those, of course, and a lot depends on the type of work to be done. (If you don't do rifle or shotgun stock work, you can skip the woodworkers vises.) Probably the best general vise would be a moderatly heavy bench vise like Brownells Multi-Vise, then invest in several sets of jaws. You will need a soft set (rubber or plastic), a set of brass, then a set of lead. Copper is a good idea also for between brass and lead in softness.

    Jim
  3. Helix_FR

    Helix_FR New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Messages:
    3,743
    Location:
    Imperial, MO
    My favorite vise is a parrot vise.
  4. CampingJosh

    CampingJosh Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Messages:
    5,307
    Location:
    Indiana
    I have a Wilton shop vise that's in the range of 100 lbs, and a smaller vise that's closer to 15 lbs. I also already have a drill press vise (though on a cheap Delta drill press). Not really interested in the woodworking side at the moment... though I can see myself playing with that sometime in the future.

    If the real answer is that the cradles like I posted aren't all that helpful, I'll gladly put my money toward something else. Perhaps that parrot vise or Versa Vise can be had on Ebay for about the same money.
  5. JLA

    JLA Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2007
    Messages:
    18,236
    Location:
    Heart Of Texas
    My favorite vise is my 6" machine vise. I use it 90% of the time. the other 10% of the time im using themill vise on the big drill press. Use the cradle for bedding stocks and mounting scopes, and the rest i just hold in my lap.
Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
Technical Questions & Information Best strategy for removing heavy rust from revolver Mar 24, 2014
Technical Questions & Information Best Night Sights? Nov 29, 2013
Technical Questions & Information Remington 760 Gamemaster Carbine ... which ammo shoots best? Nov 21, 2013
Technical Questions & Information Best 9mm Load for PP? Oct 30, 2013
Technical Questions & Information Best material for fixing small broken metal gun part Oct 12, 2013