best handgun for home defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by revellparrish, Feb 8, 2005.

1. revellparrish

revellparrish New Member

I turn 21 in August and plan on buying a handgun for home defense. My dad has an H&K USP 9mm and loves it. He previously owned a 9mm glock and hated it. He says that H&K is the finest handgun made in the world. On their website they have different versions of their handguns...USP, USP Tactical, Elite, Expert...etc...What is the best?? I think I want something bigger than a 9mm..More like a .45. Reason being-In my criminal investigations class-we saw a dead guy who was shot at point blank range twice in the chest with a .357 with "cop killer" bullets. The guy was on meth btw. He gets up-after being shot-and walks down the hall of his house into the kitchen. It takes two more shots to finally kill him. Now you see why I want something more powerful than a 9mm. I haven't seen much about H&K's on previous threads on this site. Please inform me about the quality of the H&K's and other suggestions y'all might have on other brands of handguns (ex. 1911 .45) Thanks alot.
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

The real question is, is a handgun right for home defense?
    But to answer your question, I use a H&K USP Expert in 45.
    Reliability, durability, accuracy, location of controls, all play a part.

Most important thing is not really "what" you use, but if you PRACTICE with it.
  3. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i use a Llama .45 until friday,then it is going bye bye and i am going to buy a wheel gun
  4. revellparrish

revellparrish New Member

Well...its something that I can keep in my drawer and out of sight. Also a handgun is easier to transport than an AR-15 or a 12 gauge. I want a handgun for these reasons, but also because I am not too experienced with these as I am the previous mentioned. So do you feel that the H&K .45 Expert is the best I can buy???
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Pickenup says it all in his last line!
    I would go into any gun fight with a 357mag and I am a huge fan of the 45ACP brand and style or a matter of choice. the PRACTICING with it is what will make a difference and the bullet type. If you plan to use or carry any gun then you should be able to pull and fire without a second thought to anything but the target ever thing else should be automatic. A 1911 that is cocked and locked is the best thing I have found other than a good wheel gun in 357mag / or a S&W 625 in 45ACP I love mine.
    just my 2 cents young man but I have been in a couple of gun fights so there is some experience talking here.
    Ron
  6. revellparrish

revellparrish New Member

I just looked up the S&W 625 in 45ACP....It looks really mean!!! How are they on accuracy?? The price tag wasn't too bad either. Is the ammo for the .45 pretty stiff? Thanks for all your replies and recommendations. This is helping me out a lot.
  7. pickenup

pickenup New Member

It really is a matter of personal preference. The gun has to “fit” YOU. No one else.

You will find that different people have different preferences. Some like the 1911 style, I don’t like the grip safety on them. Some like the Glock, they don’t have a natural point of aim “for me.” The list goes on. Then some people like wheel guns, and with practice can be reloaded as quick as a magazine fed handgun. Very few things can go wrong with these. That list goes on too.

Some of the reasons I like the Expert, is because of the mag release being “in” the trigger guard. I can reload without repositioning my hand, where most handguns have the mag release on the side. And for “most people” it requires a repositioning of the hand to use it, then a another repositioning “back” to get ready to shoot. The “O” ring which brings the barrel back to the same position every time, helps with the accuracy. The polymer frame helps keep the weight down. I also like the “rail” feature, and have a flashlight mounted on it for flashlight matches. Haven’t been beat “yet” in a flashlight match. ;)

For some people, a couple of disadvantages of them, is the size. They are a rather large handgun, and do not “fit” some people’s hands, and can be hard to conceal, if you decide to go that route with it. Then there are the ones that don’t like the fact that you are not supposed to shoot lead bullets in them. (because of the rifling) Jacketed bullets only. Neither is a problem for me.

Another one that I like (and own) is the SIG 220. It has a single stack mag, which makes it a slimmer grip. Lots to like about a SIG too. But the best thing for you to do, is to go to some gun shops and put as many handguns in your hand as you can. See what “feels” good to you. Single stack or double stack mags makes a difference in the size of the grip. Magazine capacity makes a difference to some. Which one has a natural point of aim for you. Which one has the controls where you want them? The safety features? The right sights? You can NOT consistently shoot a gun accurately, if it does not FIT you.
  8. revellparrish

revellparrish New Member

Going to gun stores is definately something I am going to do. I just wanted several opinions from people who have been using guns a long time and aren't trying to make a sale. Plus, you guys have a wide range of knowledge from experience when it comes to owning and using different types of handguns. I would really like to buy 2 or three but I don't think that is in the budget just yet. 1350$ for an H&K Expert would max out the budget. Do you guys take your .357 or .45's out to the range a lot? B/c I know ammo for bigger guns is more expensive. I just wondered if the price of ammo is really a big deal or not.
  9. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

depending on the brand .45 acp usually cost about 12.50 a box for like winchester and umc. 357 are usually 10.00 a box for brands like master and umc
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Best weapon for home defense is a 12 ga shotgun; concealability is not an issue, but power is.
    If you gotta have a handgun, the larger the caliber, the bigger the leak, when the bad guy doesn't die on the spot.
    Having shot competitively for 30 years, the 1911 is an old, comfortable, friend; as a defensive arm, it is STILL in the backseat to a shotgun!
  11. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i would suggest getting something that shoots the .45 acp. it is quite possibly the best self defense round because of the size and the weight of the bullet
  12. stevejc

stevejc New Member

Cop Killer Bullets? Just what is a cop killer bullet?

I have a 12 ga pump for home defense, nothing gets someone’s attention like racking a round of buckshot into the chamber. Also if I shoot someone it is likely they will be stopped and if I happen to miss there is less of a chance of hitting my kids sleeping n another room. A hand gun bullet can penetrate sheetrock and vinyl siding and hit an innocent.
  13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Never use buckshot for home defense. The buckshot will penetrate walls putting family in danger. I'd suggest # 6 or #7 shot for best results and family safety.
  14. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'll back with Shooter45. A 12 ga with 7 1/2 is a great in home gun.
  15. 3gunner

3gunner New Member

and keep it available to you at a moments notice ....or less.
  16. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

My S&W 19 (Combat Magnum) is just like "American Express" I don't leave home without it. It gets shot at least once a week at the range. Expense is not a problem as I reload.
  17. Neil

Neil New Member

If you must use a handgun maybe Frangible (SP) ammo is best. just a thought.
  18. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

have u made a decision yet?
  19. revellparrish

revellparrish New Member

Yes. I think I am going to go with the h&k usp expert in the .45 caliber. I like the reviews of that gun better than any of the others. Plus I like the way the usp feels in my hand. Thanks alot for all the advice and suggestions.