The Firearms Forum banner

Best handgun for the wife/girlfriend.

32K views 72 replies 47 participants last post by  oddshooter 
#1 ·
Alright. I'm starting it. What handgun would you get or have already gotten the woman in your life for home/self defense and range shooting.
I'm thinking it is something she could use at the range and become involved with the passionate handgunner in us all.

#4 ·
hey Jericho. welcome to the forum I would suggest a .357 revolver. Its a good choice due to its versatility. She can shoot a low recoil .38 special for target practice and have fun, but then carry a better .357 defense load if it is going to be carried for defense. My wife has a Taurus .38 snubbie that was given to her years ago that is a well built gun. Take her out to see how the differant guns feel to her and see what she likes. That's the most improtant thing.

#10 · (Edited)
Beth,
i started her on .22 , my woodsman then we went to .22 magnum , a friends i forget the model, then a .32 , then 9mm , she qualified on all these and then we went to the gun store and got her one of her own , the S&W was a good fit for her and she liked it , the .45 she did ok on too but it was a tad hard , so she chose the .40 as her "best able to shoot all day , with as much force as you can take and handle effectively" , choice ..

#11 ·
Go shooting. Don't just buy something hoping that she likes it and can handle it. Biggest mistake I see among men buying guns for their female counterparts is buying what they think will be a good fit. Find a range that rents guns and see what fits. The SW 642 is a good choice and many men buy one for their significant other but about 50% of women don't like it b/c its bite is as bad as its bark. Assuming gets you no where. They either won't shoot it or they'll want to trade it in on something else and even if it only has 5 rounds through it, you'll still take a loss on it.

#14 ·
There are plenty of light weight, very reliable revolvers in 22 lr and 22 mag out there. I tend to agree with the concept of a 38 or 357 revolver, BUT.............not to "start her out" with firearms in general.

My case is a bit different than many; my lady is 5'5" and about 140 pounds, but also was at one time, a trained, armed security guard, and they carried .45s. She hunts, fishes, and currently has one of my single action 9mm's in her "drawer." The 1911 in 45 and the 12G coach gun are on MY side of the bed. ;)

#15 ·
I took my daughter to the range after she got her CC permit and let her shoot a variety of guns. She really liked the Glock 26 best, but she had trouble loading the mags. and racking the slide. She finally decided an the Lady Smith as the best all-around for her needs. I bought her a CC purse and she is never without it.

#16 ·
My petite wife fired a variety of hanguns and calibers. She's a deadeye with a 9mm, but wanted something she could grab in a clutch situation without worrying about slides, safeties, magazines, etc. Her "car and bedroom" gun is the S&W 442 .38 Spl - it's not great past 10 or 15 yards, but that's not what it's designed for. Her words: "If someone gets past you or you're not here, I want a gun I can pick up and just pull the trigger." Food for thought. And she looooooves that revolver.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Yes, She has shot before. mostly rifle and shotgun. I have a CZ 75B and she can't rack the slide on it. This would not be a ccw, live in Illinois.

#18 ·
Yes, She has shot before. mostly rifle and shotgun. I have a CZ 75B and she can't rack the slide on it. This would not be a ccw, live in Illinois.
Im sorry.

#21 ·
Shoot I started my wife on a 9mm. I had an ol browning Hi power copy and she shot the hell out of it. She is now the proud owner of a CZ83 and a Bersa Thunder .22. Those are the size weapons she likes and she can regularly outshoot me at the range.. sometimes..;)

#22 ·
A .357 loaded with .38s.

Here in NY, there are NO gun rental places. It's illegal.

Therefore, I HAVE to buy anything I want to "try." :eek: I reeeeaaallllly hate having to buy so many guns. ;)

#26 ·
I know, right? :D Someone's got to sacrifice, might as well be me.
Grae -
You're a real TROOPER and altruistic!

I started my two daughters on .22lr revolvers - when then became familiar - moved to what ever else they could handle. I was fortunate in having revolvers and semis in most common calibers for them to try out - I know having all of those damn guns lying about was a serious problem - but in this case it worked out well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.