Best handgun for the wife/girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jericho, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jericho

jericho New Member

Alright. I'm starting it. What handgun would you get or have already gotten the woman in your life for home/self defense and range shooting.
    I'm thinking it is something she could use at the range and become involved with the passionate handgunner in us all.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum has she shot before
  3. doug66

doug66 New Member

Will it be for concealed carry?
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

hey Jericho. welcome to the forum I would suggest a .357 revolver. Its a good choice due to its versatility. She can shoot a low recoil .38 special for target practice and have fun, but then carry a better .357 defense load if it is going to be carried for defense. My wife has a Taurus .38 snubbie that was given to her years ago that is a well built gun. Take her out to see how the differant guns feel to her and see what she likes. That's the most improtant thing.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

no no no no no if she has never shot before i think she should shoot a .22 you just can't start someone especially a women on a .357 if she does not know anything about it> guess i put my 4 cents in:dance::ya:
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

last year went to another range girl was there with her boyfriend she never shot before and he starts her out with some kind of ak47 or something like that she was scared to death to shoot it
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

S&W 5906 back before we got silly here ( .40 ) and she got good with it too!

made me happy just watching her , good days... and safe
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i am sorry if a women has not shot before i don't think she should start with a .40--if i started with a .40 i think i would have said byebye
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Beth, that's why I recoomended shooting 38 spl. The .357 would only be loaded up for carrying unless she got used to it or like it better.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Beth,
    i started her on .22 , my woodsman then we went to .22 magnum , a friends i forget the model, then a .32 , then 9mm , she qualified on all these and then we went to the gun store and got her one of her own , the S&W was a good fit for her and she liked it , the .45 she did ok on too but it was a tad hard , so she chose the .40 as her "best able to shoot all day , with as much force as you can take and handle effectively" , choice ..
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Go shooting. Don't just buy something hoping that she likes it and can handle it. Biggest mistake I see among men buying guns for their female counterparts is buying what they think will be a good fit. Find a range that rents guns and see what fits. The SW 642 is a good choice and many men buy one for their significant other but about 50% of women don't like it b/c its bite is as bad as its bark. Assuming gets you no where. They either won't shoot it or they'll want to trade it in on something else and even if it only has 5 rounds through it, you'll still take a loss on it.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

helix , spot on , let em shoot what they like and are comfortable with , its all good..

and pray they never need to use it ...
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

14. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

There are plenty of light weight, very reliable revolvers in 22 lr and 22 mag out there. I tend to agree with the concept of a 38 or 357 revolver, BUT.............not to "start her out" with firearms in general.

My case is a bit different than many; my lady is 5'5" and about 140 pounds, but also was at one time, a trained, armed security guard, and they carried .45s. She hunts, fishes, and currently has one of my single action 9mm's in her "drawer." The 1911 in 45 and the 12G coach gun are on MY side of the bed. ;)
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

I took my daughter to the range after she got her CC permit and let her shoot a variety of guns. She really liked the Glock 26 best, but she had trouble loading the mags. and racking the slide. She finally decided an the Lady Smith as the best all-around for her needs. I bought her a CC purse and she is never without it.
  16. Juker

Juker New Member

My petite wife fired a variety of hanguns and calibers. She's a deadeye with a 9mm, but wanted something she could grab in a clutch situation without worrying about slides, safeties, magazines, etc. Her "car and bedroom" gun is the S&W 442 .38 Spl - it's not great past 10 or 15 yards, but that's not what it's designed for. Her words: "If someone gets past you or you're not here, I want a gun I can pick up and just pull the trigger." Food for thought. And she looooooves that revolver.

Attached Files:

• 442.jpg
      442.jpg
      File size:
      220.3 KB
      Views:
  17. jericho

jericho New Member

Yes, She has shot before. mostly rifle and shotgun. I have a CZ 75B and she can't rack the slide on it. This would not be a ccw, live in Illinois.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  18. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Im sorry.
  19. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I got a new Ruger SR 1911 for my wife. I'll miss her, but damn! I coudn't resist that sweet Ruger. Range report to follow.
  20. doug66

doug66 New Member

My wife likes my S&W model 10. Expose her to a wide variety and buy what she likes. Ruger 22's and 4" revolvers is where I'd point her. Good Luck!!