The Firearms Forum banner

Best home-defense shotgun for a tall guy?

6K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  mogunner 
#1 ·
So, this is a bit of a compound question, but here goes: I'm looking for a shotgun for home defense, and most of the ones I've handled (in a shop, not the range so far) feel really uncomfortable. Since I'm 6'4" and have a pretty big wingspan, my elbow and wrist are all wonky when I bring it to my shoulder. I thought about pistol grips, since I'm fairly comfortable with a handgun, but it didn't feel right either especially since I don't really plan on breaching any doors anytime soon.

The only shotgun I've fired was an AA-12, but that's (obviously) not when I'm looking for. At the shop, I've held a couple CZs, an FN p12 and some Mossberg variant. Can you guys recommend something that can fit well with an extending stock or at least would require minimal gunsmithing for adding something to the stock? Thanks!

#2 ·
A standard recoil pad is about an inch thick. Guns that come with a pad have a 12" stock, so the pad makes it the normal 13 inches. But take a non-padded 13" stock and add a pad - wallah. 14" LOP. That could help.

Maybe find a friendly gunstore (Wallyworld won't let you do this) that will let you tape a recoil pad to the butt of a shotgun, to see if it is now long enough.

When you say "pistol grip", you could mean one of two types.

This type MIGHT work for you. Something with an actual buttstock but a distinct pistol grip, like an AR15.

THESE kinds are a serious waste of money. They look cool, but for actual use they are next to useless. And they hurt your wrist like a sumbich.

#3 ·
Hmm, adding the pad probably wouldn't be a bad way to go. I try to avoid Wallyworld except for picking up target rounds, but there are a few good shops/ranges around me that probably wouldn't mind me tinkering too much.

Yeah, I tried one of the first at a store and it just felt unwieldy, especially moving side-to-side. It wasn't terrible on the AA-12 I shot, but that had a much larger stock.

And yeah, I figured the bottom kind was solely for mobsters in movies :) Thanks!

#4 ·
Take a defensive shotgun class. You might find that the gun you thought was too short is just about right. I'm 6'2" and a stock Remington 870 is OK, but a little shorter wouldn't hurt. Am I going to buy a new stock? No, the regular one works just fine and the shotgun is not a priority weapon for me. I can use it, but I'm not totally comfortable with it, I need a few more classes yet and lots of practice which is difficult for me. You also might find that your preconceptions on ammo are off. I know "everybody" says 00 buckshot is the way to go and then you practice patterning to see just how far you can shoot buckshot (not very with some loads) and then you have to transition to slugs. Why not solve the problem and just carry low recoil slugs to begin with?

#5 ·
If you are going to carry slugs, and give up the "shot-spread" (which is the main advantage of a shotgun), why not just carry a rifle?

Reactions: gdmoody
#6 ·
Taking the class would be good, and luckily I have barely any preconceptions about shotgun ammo. I've really not used them to any extent other than the AA on a range (in Vegas, because they threw it in for free), and it was loaded with birdshot. Which was crap in an AA.

You hit on a secondary question I forgot to add to the original post. I do have a handgun (XD-9) that I'm comfortable with, and the shotgun would be solely to occasionally train on and primarily for defense. So does a little discomfort actually matter if I can easily switch to my handgun if I need to?

#7 ·
Maybe this will help with your secondary question.

I have to cut down a tree that is three feet in diameter. The axe in the back is uncomfortable for me to use. Does a little discomfort actually matter, if I can easily switch to the axe in front if I need to?

The felling axe is the shotgun. Much better tool for cutting down tree (self defense) than the belt axe (9mm pistol). The belt axe would probably work, but it would be a lot easier with the felling axe.

The better plan would be to either get the axe re-hafted, so it fit me, or take classes to learn how to handle it correctly. Or both.

#8 · (Edited)
I personally prefer a HG or AR over a SG for HD.

The truth is any type of shot you choose to use will not "spread" that much at the distances you will be shooting in a typical HD situation. You can check this out for yourself on your next trip to the range. All you need to do is take a few measurements in your home; then place your range targets at those distances. (The end result will be the knowledge that you still have to aim when you use a SG.)

There are a few other shortcomings with a SG for HD as well. One big one is the amount of ammo! Most SGs that are considered short enough for HD will be limited to five rounds. While five rounds should be enough for a "single" or "pair" of attackers, when facing a professional HIR squad the more ammo you have available the better.

Another big issue is "retention" and being able to bring a SG to bear in a tight hallway of HtH situation. (Especially, if you happen to find yourself in the "middle" of a group of BGs.)

SGs are also very easy to take away from a person if you can get close. Hand guns and an AR (that has been set up properly), are a lot easier to utilize and keep under your control in an extreme CQB or HtH situation.

I have successfully used a SG in a HIR against four Bgs. But, if all four had been armed and chose to fight, I could have been overpowered. So, for me at least, my experiences have taught me 15-20 HG or AR rounds is better than a SG in a broader array of HD situations you could face today.

If you decide on a SG, I encourage you to take "several" SG combat classes. (Not just "basic") I also suggest an adjustable stock, pistol grip and a tactical type "forearm" that will enable you to use the SG more effectively should you get into a Hth combat situation where someone is trying to take your weapon away.

Just my 02c-

-

#13 ·
That is simply wicked. A shotty has about 2-3 inch spread in a standard bedroom. That requires aiming. That Judge has a nice spread to it so you have a huge by comparison spread. You fire at the sternum with that an you will hit eyes, throat and may be marbles. Two rounds of 410 followed by a round full of salt and that will burn like crazy, The rest of them are 45's to end the sting. Wicked, simply wicked. The only question is, do you carry two of them?

#12 ·
I have a shotgun, but keep two handguns on the headboard ( wife ). My fear is, I'm gonna get the bad guy, and kill my big-screen on the wall in the process. And maybe one, or both, of my dogs.

I'll stick with a handgun.

#23 ·
Hmm, I do like the look of that. Looks like I can probably get it with the half-pistol grip, although maybe not with the same lop.

Ah gentleman, your lucky day. I found two cents in my pocket so I will throw them in. I am a large man, just not that tall. However for home defense I prefer a Mossberg 20 gauge youth model pump action shotgun with a modified choke. It is loaded with 5 rounds of 000 buck with five more on the stock shell holder. It is light weight, easy to use in tight spaces, and quite deadly. I have a red dot scope mounted on top. I've killed two deer with it as it patterns well with slugs too. (Also in the house are several handguns).
Now lets talk about something else. No matter what gun you decide on, it will be worthless if someone can sneak into your home without waking you. Take some security precautions around the house. Wireless motion sensors and lights, proper locks on doors and windows, and as alarms are so inexpensive now, an monitored alarm system with a smoke detector wired in to it is a plus.
Keep us posted on what you choose.
Good luck
fred
I toyed around with the Mossberg Persuader 20 at a gun shop, but maybe I can test out one of those again using the suggestion above about adding some pads to extend the stock. Other than the awkward angles, I did like the gun.

I rent, so it's a bit difficult to take real security measures beyond the two 65lb dogs I've got hanging around, but I have added some cheap swimming pool alarms to my big windows and glass door. Nothing too sophisticated, but if the window opens without my say-so, it puts out a 110 decibel alarm, so it's at least a warning system.

I'll definitely report back once I make a decision. Think I'll go ahead and make sure to do some of the training classes my my local target range first.

#18 ·
Why not use something like a .45 ACP carbine? They are shorter than a shotgun and you have plenty of ammo in one. Also, a shotgun makes a VERY LOUD bang especially in a building. Using something like a carbine with a lot of ammo in it will probably leave you with being able to hear something after the shooting is over. That could be useful for calling the cops afterwords which is what you'll need to do anyway in such a situation.

#20 ·
I worked a liquor store stake out years ago. We had a string of armed robberies in an area and set up in one of the stores. There were three of us, and I have no idea why, but I was the one without the shotgun??? (I was young then) Anyway the perp came in and started screaming he was going to kill the clerk and pointed a handgun at him. My Sgt. stepped out behind the clerk with me behind him. The guy pointed the gun between my eyes and as I ducked Sarge let lose a load of 00 buck, right by my head. I picked up the radio and said "10-100 (radio talk for shut up) we have an active shooting scene with one suspect injured." Nothing. So I broadcast again. Nothing. I looked at the Sarge and said they aren't answering. I could see him moving his lips (saying yes they are) but could not hear him. Couldn't hear anything for three days.
The perp was lucky, The Sgt had ducked too and just as he did with geese and deer, he blew the guys leg apart.
But you are right about the sound.
Although, I once fired a .357 out the driver's side window, and that "hurt".

#19 ·
Ah gentleman, your lucky day. I found two cents in my pocket so I will throw them in. I am a large man, just not that tall. However for home defense I prefer a Mossberg 20 gauge youth model pump action shotgun with a modified choke. It is loaded with 5 rounds of 000 buck with five more on the stock shell holder. It is light weight, easy to use in tight spaces, and quite deadly. I have a red dot scope mounted on top. I've killed two deer with it as it patterns well with slugs too. (Also in the house are several handguns).
Now lets talk about something else. No matter what gun you decide on, it will be worthless if someone can sneak into your home without waking you. Take some security precautions around the house. Wireless motion sensors and lights, proper locks on doors and windows, and as alarms are so inexpensive now, an monitored alarm system with a smoke detector wired in to it is a plus.
Keep us posted on what you choose.
Good luck
fred

#21 ·
jstgsn, you load your own?

Largest buckshot I am aware of for 20 gauge is #3. Never heard of 000 in 20.

#22 ·
I'm sticking my 2 cents worth in here too, because I do use a shot gun for HD. I highly recommend that no one tries to clear their home, unless they have had some good training. Without the training, stay in your safe room, and let the BG know you are there, and armed, after calling 911. That warning will get recorded. Sometimes this just isn't possible when there are children, or other family members in the home also. With the plug out most shotguns will hold only 5 rounds, but add a magazine extension, and you can just about load all the ammo you want! I carry 7 in my Remington 1100, and am thinking about stepping up to 9. As to the length of the gun you choose, remember the shorter the gun, the easier, and quicker it is to use, and the better to hold on to if some one on the other end should get their hands on it. A longer gun is much harder to maneuver in close quarters. So short length of pull just might be much better in a HD type shotgun. Another thing to consider is penetration. Is there a possibility of shooting thru the walls of your home, and hitting targets that you don't want to hit. Such as your children in their bed rooms, neighbors that live close by, or next door in an apartment complex. Remember that most pistol, and rifle rounds will penetrate multiple walls also.

#24 ·
Yeah, I seriously doubt I'd try to clear the home, unless either of my dogs were in trouble...then I'd probably get in gear. Luckily my house is pretty "easy" to clear - bedroom at the end of a long hallway and pretty much a large living room/kitchen ahead. If the dogs were fine, I'd barricade and just call the cops. That's a real good note about the warning being recorded though - didn't consider that. Thanks!

#25 ·
Not everybody needs to go with a 12 gauge shotgun. I often urge people to consider using a 20 gauge shotgun. Normally, I would suggest that you consider going with a good 2o gauge tactical shotgun. A tactical shotgun is set up for tactical work or home defense, not hunting game at all. Tactical shotguns have rifled sights, extended ammo storage tubes on them, slings on them, sidesaddles for extra ammo and high visibility sights as well. Most of them are pump action for reliability over automatic shotguns and faster than break open shotguns. A good shotgun is a thing of beauty to have when the chips are down.

#26 ·
Remington 1100, 12 gauge,

Attachments

#28 ·
This is a less popular style but there is a "chainsaw" configuration. I haven't shot one yet but the physics behind the grip is sound, by holding the top placed "chainsaw" handle you can easily control the massive amount of muzzle rise created by a shorter pistol grip shotgun.

Everything has its draw backs, with this one you lose use of your sights. More a point and shoot method.

Attachments

#29 ·
I have a Hawk 982 12 gauge, a Chinese clone of the 870 and really like the thing, we've put a lot of rounds through it in the time that I've had it, the wife and kids even like shooting the low-recoil 00buck rounds through it, I've shot pretty much every size shot and buckshot through it as well as Remington slugs. I swapped the stock for this one, as I'm 6"4" and 210 and as the OP said, they just don't built them for us long-armed fellers!
With the five in the tube, five on the side and five on the stock, I'm good to go for a few shots anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.