1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best Hunting Load for .44 Mag

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

KimberRuger
    (8/7/01 11:02:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Best Hunting Load for .44 Mag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have a preferred load (bullet/powder/amount/primer) for a hunting load for a .44 magnum ?

I'll be hunting whitetail deer, probable yardage from 10 yards (I'm sneaky) to maybe 60 (?) ........

I've shotgunned and muzzleloaded for years, never been out with a handgun, so any other tips, pointers and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Patrick

kdubaz
    (8/7/01 4:11:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Best Hunting Load for .44 Mag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What are you shooting it out of, KR - ?

The loading manuals have all kinds of loads, usually centering around the 240gr HP bullet. There are a lot of people shooting very hard lead semi-flat point bullets for hunting these days that may be better. I used to use H110 and 2400 powders with the 240 gr HP's and flat nosed jacketed bullets with pretty good results.

Keep below the ridgeline!

KimberRuger
    (8/9/01 7:47:00 am)
    Oooooppps ! I did leave out that one bit of info didn't I ?

I have a 7 1/2" Ruger (suprised ?) Super Red Hawk.

I've heard and read a little about the flat nosed jacketed bullets, but I must be fairly dense because I have to admit, I really don't understand.

I know you want to puch a large hole, and I know you want penetration. It would seem to me that a .44 cranking out the barrell at something like 1450 fps and still going somewhere above 1100 fps @ 50 yards would get plenty of penetration, even if it flattened out to be .75 cal. That would meet both criteria, at least so it would seem.

By going to a harder projectile, you would get better penetration, but wouldn't that make a smaller hole ? It's not like we're talking bowhunting here with blood trails and all. So overpenetration, or going out the other side, isn't really necessary - is it ?

Maybe I'm just thick and can't see the whole picture.

Patrick

kdubaz
    (8/9/01 4:28:18 pm)
    Pat -

Most handgun bullets aren't gonna mushroom much, anyway, at the velocities we're talking. You load them up in a sabot in a muzzleloader and push them along at 1800-2200 fps and yes, I imagine they'll spread out pretty well. With that consideration, a .451 diameter slug is leaving almost a 1/2" hole, even without expanding. That's more than adequate in size to bleed out any animal. The shock value of the large meplat of the flat nosed bullets is far greater than the roundnose or tapered hollowpoints. The old arguement of the bullet staying within the animal to expend all of its energy, or punching clear thru and leaving two bleed orifices is one that goes on forever. Personally, after having to throw away lots of shock tissue from game where the bullets came apart, but stayed in the animal, or having to discard the blown up off-side of game from a destructively high velocity softnose bullet is enough to convince me to pay attention to the likes of ol' Elmer Keith, with his "big, slow and accurate" line of thinking.

All this is to say, If it were me shooting handguns at 50 yds and less, I would load up the largest bullet of type with a flat nose, or semi-flat, with the powder loading that is consistently accurate for me, practice until the shots are tripping into 6" or less at that distance, then go hunting!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

WyomingSwede
    (8/10/01 7:33:55 am)
    Kimber....Try 17 gr of AA#9 under a 300 gr bullet. It is a stout load...but I shoot a ruger just like yours. I can get a 3-4 inch group at 100 shooting from a rest. Of course my ruger has a 2 1/2 power Nikon on it also which helps considerably. It seems that the big 300 gr bullet has less recoil than the lighter loads. The heavier bullet weight wont hurt you hunting either. Best of luck to you...this has worked for me in the past. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede