The Firearms Forum banner

best-in home protection shotgun-ideas?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  FN_Project90 
#1 ·
Hi avid fellow firearm collectors and owners. Just a simple inquiry from someone not -so litterate about shotguns, except they are great for bird hunting, and i'm sure, a number of varmits. I have a nice Glock model 17 by my nightstand, but would really like to get a 12 ga. "police type " or defender with a short barrel, and a pistol grip. something for my wife to have close, when i am at work in the early early hours. ---Any suggestions?-any would be appreciated. Thanks, the Bro.

#3 ·
Shootgun for the Missus....

Double barrel gun. Outside hammers. Major reason for this style is that the gun can be kept loaded with the hammers down, and all the springs are at rest, nothing to go set on you.

20 gauge. In actual practice, 20 is as good as a 12 or even a 10 gauge, and is far easier to recover from and get off the second shot.

Fit sling with 5 extra rounds on loops on the sling itself.

Make sure the stock fits her, and that the pistol grip is a good fit with her hand so she can learn to manipulate the gun rapidly and well.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to TFF Mikebro hope you enjoy the site. I think CCgiver might be on to something there with his side by side idea. It doesnt get much simpler than that, pull the hammers back and you are ready to go. Some oo buck would be a nice topping I think.

#5 · (Edited)
my recomendation

Mikebro

Welcome, I know you will enjoy your time here as much as I do. They are all a great bunch here.
As for my recomendation. I would go with the 20 ga. I have an 870 but I also think CC is on to something. Although the sound of a pump action being cycled sure would put the fear of God into me. The db is much simpler to operate. I would also load with dove and quail or light trap loads. The reasons for this are two or three fold.
1. More pellets = more wound channels=more pain
2. Less penetration to surrounding walls. Not as much worry about who is in the next room.
3. Less recoil and muzzle blast. Ask anybody who has shot in an enclosed area. Hurts like hell and you spend a week saying huh.
Less recoil= quicker followup shot if needed. Good deal for those small of stature.
Also one more thing and this is most important.
Practice Practice Practice.
We need to know what to expect when and hopfully never. If in that situation.

Hope this helps

Rider

#6 ·
THANKS RIDER

LOL!!!!!! HOW DISCRIPTIVE AND EXPERIENCED!-I LAUGHED MY COOTY OFF, AND WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILED ADVICE IN MY PERSONAL MEMOIRS RIDER! ANY ONE CAN TELL YOU ARE NO TENDERFOOT TO THE TRAIL, BUT HAVE A LONG ROAD OF EXPERIENCE! I WILL TRY THOSE LOADS YOU SUGGESTED WITH A DOUBLE BARREL SIDE-BY SIDE, SIMPLE AND BASIC. YOU ALL ARE THE GREATEST OF AMERICAN HEROES! THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL SO WELCOME! MIKE PS: YOU ARE ALSO RIGHT ON ONE THING FOR SURE THAT I AGREE WITH FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE !!!!::D

#7 ·
I wasn't trying to be funny

Mikebro

At first I was a little offended by the LOL, but after reading it does sound a little funny. I almost sound glib about my advice.

This advice was recomened to me (unofficially)by my local LEO's. I live quite a ways from town and just happen to ask one day when they stopped by to chat. I have never had to put it to use. But I have had a shotgun go off in the house. My little bro was messing with Grandpa's guns and put a hole in the floor. I was just in the next room and I almost wet myself. It could have been a real disaster, but 25 yrs. later we just laugh and keep our guns locked up.
And our wifes now agree as to why we can't hear. (HUH)

Rider

G
#8 ·
Huh?

The only thing I would add is the length of the bbl(s). Standard hunting length barrels are fine if you have a set position in which you wait for someone to show around the corner, in the door, etc.

If you are going to have to clear the house, you want a short barreled piece. Stepping around the corner or through a door with the perp waiting just on the other side can get the piece seized and taken out of play.

Of course, if you properly set up the house for defense, there will be a mirror properly placed so you can look around the corner without sticking your eyeball out on a stalk. :D Remember, too, that mirror is not placed on the wall/dresser/etc where the perp can use it to see you. If your position is dark and the rest of the house is in low-level lighting, a wide-angle mirror in the corner of the ceiling works fine.

Pops

#10 ·
I would stay away from "Combat" style shotguns from a liability/legality standpoint because of the reactions a Judge, Jury or Prosecutor may have towards a "Super Combat Blaster"...I chose a Turkey Hunters pumpgun and load (#4 Buckshot) to avoid any slick plaintiff's attorney's spin in a courtroom...something to consider

#11 ·
Hello Mikebro,

DITTO on the 20 ga. double barrel, external hammers, field/bird grade ammo. The shorter the barrels, the better for in-home defense.

One very important matter - make sure you take the wife with you to select the weapon. If it is primarily for her, make sure it fits her - thumbs to hammers, fingers to triggers, grip, ease of effort to reload quickly and weight.

Her first lesson in self defense - COCK, POINT and PULL.

Good luck to both of you.

Your Friend in Dixie,

Sir Bug

#12 ·
All of the advice about double barrels is right on the money in the event that you may have to actually shoot the assailant. I personally just want them out of the house with minimal risk to me or my family. The "racking in" of a pump gun is an unmistakable sound that frequently eliminates the need for armed confrontation.

The other advice is dead on the money since a double with externals is so simple to operate.........just giving you another point to ponder.

I agree with everyone else about the 20ga. You only loose a fraction of the knockdown power from the 12, but the decrease in recoil will give you a gun that the missus doesn't hate going to the range with.

#13 ·
The terrible little "click!-click!" as the hammers go back....

is every bit as intimidating as the Klak-ratch of the pump gun being worked. Admittedly, the Hollywood Propaganda Machine has not worked on educating the thuggites of our major metro areas to that little sound, but most of them are fairly aware of the possibilities....

#14 ·
I keep a Savage/Stevens 12 ga Model 311R double barrel loaded in the bedroom. The "R" reportedly stands for "riot". The story is that these were designed for prison guards.
It doesn't have external hammers, but it's got 18" barrels and is extremely light and handy. Plus the wood stock allows me to apply less than lethal force (to the forehead) if required. The stock makes it easy to tuck in and control as well.
I keep it loaded with birdshot, but always have some 3" magnum 000 buckshot when I take it to the range. The birdshot feels like a .22 after a few magnums.
Got it for $100 too.

91/59

#15 ·
benelli has a 12 gauge pump for under 400 that is awesome I am thinking of getting one myself. you can't get all the silly sheet like you can with an 870 or mossberg, but who needs lasers on their scattergun?
Use single 0 buck for home protection, does not go through as much and has plenty of stopping power. One thing a doctor recomended with have bird shot for the first one to come around a corner with, and then buck 'em. The worst trauma case he ever had in 40 years was a guy that was shot with larger bird shot. Some ex feds recomend the same thing, but use really small bird shot to stun someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.