Best Iron Sights For Remington 308

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by truegrit, Mar 22, 2013.

1. truegrit

truegrit New Member

I live in Colorado and own a Remington 308. I have an upcoming local neighborhood shoot. Rules are iron sights only. No scopes/peeps. 100 yard target with elk caliber rifles. My eyes are not what they used to be at 64. I'm in need of the best iron sights for competition, adjustment and vision. Thanks for your assistance. batman@andrewsdev.com
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.
    What model is it?
    Mike
  3. truegrit

truegrit New Member

It is a Model 700SS 5-R Milspec 24" barrel.
    Thanks
  4. truegrit

truegrit New Member

Has anyone experience with Williams or SX sights? If so tell me the good/bad.
  5. truegrit

truegrit New Member

No response from anyone???????????
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Why would you want to put iron sights on a Remington .308? A scope will allow you to shoot at any range you are capable of hitting your mark at. From 25 yards all the way out to how ever far you think you need.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

The 700 has models that came out with sights I would check with them as to what sights they are so they should fit your gun if it came with iron sights to begin with if not you are talking having a smith put any sights on.
    If you go with a after market sights Williams are a good sight to use.
    Mike
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put irons on a 5R. Plus youre restricted to notch and blade it seems. IMO the only good iron sights are peep sights.

Installing a notch and blade set up on a Bull Barrelled 5R would require you to mill dovetails in the barrel at the muzzle and just ahead of the receiver ring.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a rifle that already has irons on it? Something like a Remington 7400 or a Browning BAR. OR even a Rem 700 bolt action with Iron sights already installed.
  9. truegrit

truegrit New Member

Thank you for feedback. I will put Remington or Williams or SX open sights on it