1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best Kayaking/Camping Pistol/Revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by txag, Feb 28, 2010.

1. txag

txag New Member

I have a couple semi-auto pistols but I'm looking to get a revolver for a huge kayaking/camping trip that is coming this summer. A couple of us will be kayaking from El Paso to Laredo on the Rio Grande. It's a multi-week camping trip. There will be some critters but mostly I'm looking for personal protection against two-legged critters from the Mexican side of the river.

The big catch is that I really need something that can handle the water. It's probably going to get wet, likely submerged, and it will be at least two weeks before I can really sit down and clean the thing.

Because of this I'm thinking a stainless revolver would probably be the best option. Something like a S&W 460V? 686? I've been reading on other forums and some seem to think the G20 or G29 are great camping options, but I don't think they can handle the water.

I would like this to be a very versitle pistol/revolver that can be an any-environment camping option.

Thoughts?
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

You're certainly talking the harshest of conditions, aren't you?

Stainless, nickel, chrome, polymer, and rubber will to be on your side (basically). Blued or parkerized steel will be against you. Unfortunately, weight will also be against you.

Taurus used to make some revolvers out of titanium. If you can find one somewhere, that may be your best option.

I know you won't be able to do it every time you touch the gun, but take a can of CLP or something and spray the gun down whenever you get it wet or dirty. Just don't spray your ammo.

It will also serve you very well to keep your piece in a Ziploc freezer bag whenever you can.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I just checked their website, and Taurus does still make some guns from Ti. Search their site, find one you like, and have your dealer order it.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

S&W also makes a few titanium revolvers yet too. A friend of mine has the 337 J-frame .38Spcl (with a 3" and adjustable sights which is an uncommon variant...I've only seen two like this). It's an excellent little all-weather trail gun.

As Josh suggests, use a good heavy-duty ziplock freezer bag to further protect it from water. The freezer bags are tougher and will resist puncturing better than a regular ziplock baggie. I'm sure you'll have a good supply of other stuff bagged up for the trip too so store your extra ammo in a bag too.
    If you'll be carrying it in a nylon holster like an Uncle Mikes, They've usually got enough excess room in em to carry the gun even if it's bagged-up.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Ruger SP101 in a shoulder rig may fit the bill although a black rifle wouldn't hurt either. The ones you need to worry about coming across will be better armed than you whereas the regular stiff sneaking into the country will want to rip you off when you aren't looking but isn't looking for a fight.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, you might look into The Judge by Taurus. Very versatile with the .45 Colt for the two legged critters and the 410 shot shells for the slippery slidey ones. I have one in Titanium, so you might want to check the info on those while you are at the Taurus website!
  7. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I float tube fish and sometime float tube camp also and I carry my Glock 20 with me in a small freezer bag in the arm rest of the tube. With a little practice, I can get it out and ready to fire in as little as 5 seconds (just tearing the bag). During the season when I am wearing my waders, I often have my Glock 29 on the inside of my waders chest pouch which works well. Several times I have gotten them wet, but only for a brief dipping. However, I could only shake them out and dry them off with my shirt (no cleaning kit with me) and neither showed any adverse signs. If I were going to be going for a week or more, I think I would take along a small package of oil of some type. Maybe you could refill an eye dropper or something.

I think the G20 is a great choice, 15+1 of the powerful 10mm is a lot of firepower on tap.
  8. wpage

wpage Active Member

Great choice or one of those floating stock .22...
    Bambihunter, what type of eye drop oiler do you carry?
  9. CanuckPete

CanuckPete New Member

This is what i take along on long hiking trips or canoe trips, not to heavy, plenty of power for what I might encounter up here. 2 legged or 4 legged. S&W 66 ,357 mag 21/2 inches

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    any pistol or revolver in stainless will work,however i would just bring what ever i was comfortable with.the gun should be kept in a water proof- water tight container any way.if boat over turns you want the gun in something that floats.many of the titanium and stainless guns are not made entirely of stainless so they may have inner parts that will rust. my thoughts old semperfi
  11. ARB

ARB New Member

I have been doing a lot of research on the Ruger LCR. Apparently, you can let this thing soak in saltwater for a month and it won't rust.
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Aluminum frame and stainless cylinder but I wouldn't soak it in salt water. I don't know what the internals are made of but then again I would torture test any firearm
  13. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

A good stainless 1911 with the McCormick 10 round mags. Thats what I use when i dont want to get my pretty Colt SAA's dirty. Accurate reliable and it will stop whatever you encounter. Mine is a colt series 80 Mk lV Stainless and it has never let me down. But on a side not the factory black steel sights will rust so those should be replaced, and i carry in a level 2 serpa holster.
  14. 45nut

45nut Active Member

You may also consider a marine grade SS shotgun or the 870 Marine Magnum and there are some cowboy carbines in stainless steel. And Ruger makes SS SAA's as well.

Your greatest danger are the drug gangs fighting each other, so what about an M-1 Carbine? I wouldn't go to the border without some kind of high capacity carbine. It did great in jungle environments from all I could tell.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  15. wpage

wpage Active Member

Salt water will ruin any finish.