"BEST" LEE POWDER MEASURE??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mgatc, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Thinking of adding an auto powder measure to the Classic Turret press for loading PISTOL SHELLS ONLY. Looking for recommendations for the most accurate of the Lee's.

Any other brand that is more accurate and would work with the Lee turret?

Thanks!
    m
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the auto disk is essentially an automated version of the lee dippers, they are designed to throw a specific volume, so you just match the volume to the cartridge, bullet weight and type of powder you want and start yankin that lever. Pretty dang fast and efficient IMO, course it aint gonna be benchrest exact in its measurements, but more than accurate for plinkin ammo...
  3. mgatc

mgatc New Member

I've got the dipper set and use them to get close, then trickle to the exact weight.

I haven't learned to trust an auto powder measure yet. I started out with the RCBS Uniflow and the loads were widely inconsistent. Would like to give it another go if I get some good endorsements.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know if Dillon sells powder measures by themselves or of they will work on the turret press you have but I would highly recommend them.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

RCBS has a charging die that will automate your Uniflow. It'll work in the Lee turret press but it isn't cheap, almost 80.00 bucks at Midway.
  6. Orin

Orin Member

Brand new poster here! A virgin...
    All of the throws will only do a so-so job as far as accuracy goes & you have to refine your methodology so its planned out & the same each time. One little shake & the powder will align differently & compress, depending on powder type. I did a lot of powder chugging three decades ago & am just getting back to it. Having so much fun re-learning! I'm gonna take it one baby step at a time & enjoy. I'll use my chugger when its time but for now I'll rely on the scale & make sure I do it right. When I chug I'll only use it for mid-level rounds & be paranoid re measuring periodic case load.
  7. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I have the lee auto disk myself eventhough I havent loaded anywhere near the ammount of time of most of these guys I havent had the disk throw heavy and after a few stupid mistakes in my rush to jump into reloading i weigh every case after I charge it if anything .1 light is the most I find
  8. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

The one problem with the pro auto disk is not being able to fine tune the charge, you are restricted to what the cavity will throw. The exception is the charge bar but I have had problems with the charge bar and small charges. For me it isn't a problem because I have found good load for all of my guns just using the normal disk's and not needing to fine tune any further. As far as accuracy of the pro auto disk it is very consistant with all the powder's I have used so far. It will throw the same charge all day long with no problem.
  9. noylj

noylj Member

If you are able to accept that all loading is done to, at best, +/- 0.1gn and that any better "accuracy" is just a waste of time, then you can live with loads that are in increments of 0.3 or 0.4gn.
    I find that a truly accurate load is accurate over 0.4-0.6gn and the Auto-Disk will hit that area every time.
    I use a Pro Auto-Disk on my Dillon 1050s all the time.
    I used a Pro Auto-Disk and the Hornady and Dillon measure on my Hornady L-N-L all the time (my son has it and the Hornady powder measure).
    If you really want to test every 0.2gn or less, you will need to get a Dillon measure or you need to get the Lee PPM and the case activation stuff (but I do not think that it will expand--it will only bell and drop a charge).
    I have never gotten it to work, but a lot people have gotten the Lee adjustable charge bar to work (how, I don't know) and that will let you dial in a load and return you to that volume (c.c.) setting repeatably.
    If you are going to weigh each charge, get an RCBS ChargeMaster. Even for the most picky person, they can set it to a charge 0.1gn less than they want and they can trickle in the last 0.1gn to their heart's content.
    The CM will dispense a load in about the time is take to cycle the press, if you aren't trying to rush things.
  10. LesterPTelestrat

LesterPTelestrat New Member

I've loaded about a 1000 rounds with my RCBS Uniflow and it's always within .10th of a grain. I don't use the baffle either, not sure it would improve anything. One does have to be consistent in how you throw each charge, but once you get a method down it is very accurate.
  11. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I've been watching this thread lately. I think I'm gonna get the P.A.D. or the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder dispenser for now. I've read that it works fine (according to other people who have it) as long as you're NOT using fine powder. I think I plan on using W231 which (they) say works well with it.
  12. noylj

noylj Member

Again, the best Lee powder measure is the PAD.
    The PPM is fine, if you make sure to strip it and clean it if it leaks powder (or simply put something down to catch the powder and not worry about it).
    If you want to move up in terms of a powder-through expander die and measure combination, the Dillon is "easier" to deal with then the Hornady.
    I believe that RCBS has copied or licensed the Hornady-type actuator.
    The Dillon and Lee reportedly have problems with very fine powder, but I haven't seen it with any powders I have tried. The Hornady, by design, would be less sensitive to powder leakage.
    If I thought there was a more accurate measure than those two, I think I would still buy an RCBS ChargeMaster.
    The CM is my "go to" for load development.
  13. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Update:
    Decided to take the inexpensive option first and evaluate. Ordered a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. To mount it I picked up a "Perfect Adapter" from Gun Guides that I found on Ebay. The adapter screws onto the bottom of the Powder measure and then it slides into the Lee Powder Through Expanding Die secured by 2 rubber O rings. Neat, simple, fast, and effective. (GunGuides.com)

Admittedly the powder measure feels pretty weak and cheaply made but - hey, it costs less than twenty bucks! Started throwing loads into a primed case and then right to the scale. I paid no attention to Lee's instructions on how to set the measure. I simply started low and kept tweaking the micro until I reached the 6.0 grains of Accurate #5 that I use in the .40.

I threw 25 to 30 charges and every one of them was at 6.0! Some initial measures were .2 under but I noticed there was powder clinging to the inside of the case. When this was tapped out, the scale settled at 6.0. Amazingly accurate and consistent.

I particularly like being able to remove the hopper without spilling powder or having to remove the entire measure. I particularly do not like the powder that spills out of the side of the drum. Its a small amount that I can live with I but would love to know if anyone has discovered a fix.

m
  14. noylj

noylj Member

Please read the instructions. Lee is very terse with instructions, but every one is important.
    1) Lee says to ignore the powder coming out and to put something under the measure to catch the powder.
    2) My solution was to disassemble the whole measure, clean it out, and put it together with a bit more tension. Also, if you dust the inside rubbing surfaces with graphite powder. They recommend that your cycle a hopper-full of graphite-coated powder through the measure before you use it. Do not increase tension if you have powder leakage. Clean it completely and reassemble.
    Can you post a picture of your set-up?
  15. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Noylj,

I did read the instructions for the measure as I do on everything related to reloading. Lee instructions however are a bit "thin". I just did not use the specific instructions for setting the powder amount.

I should be able to post a picture this evening showing the set up and how the adapter works. There are pictures of it on the Gunguides.com website. Pretty ingenious as it mounts directly on top of the Expander/Charger die with a direct feed.

m