best lever action 22lr

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pea shooter, Mar 13, 2010.

1. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

who makes the best lever action 22lr
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    depends on your idea of best.best shooting re accuracy,best handleing,what?i think as far as retaining value and looks it would be a marlin 39a,i have had a number of them and they are accurate and smooth rifles although pricey.now as far as value for dollar and all around shooting you can not find a better one than the 22 henry.you can find them used for around 175-200 dollars and buy them new for less than 300.they will shoot shorts,longs,and long rifle.i have shot thousands of rounds thru one of mine with no problems old semperfi
  3. Win73

Win73 New Member

I don't know much about the Henry because I have never had one. However I do have a Marlin Golden 39A Mountie of 1967 vintage. It has had thousands and thousands of rounds through it and is still in excellent condition. The only thing I have had to do to it is replace the spring that holds the lever shut. It cost me like $4.

The receiver on a 39A is machined from a solid block of steel. If taken decent care of, a 39A should last at least several lifetimes. I have looked at Henry's in the gun shop. I can't believe they would be as durable as a 39A. They just don't seem nearly as solid.

[​IMG]
  4. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

The only lever 22 we had when I was growing up was an Ithica. Don't know model or numbers, dad and I would go out of town and go down a strip of dirt road where an old wino drank, one Saturday a month we would shoot bottles and just have a ball. Dad pulled out this lever action, man I thought I was Little Joe off of Bonanza!!! The next time we went out I asked about it, he traded it off!!!! I now have 2 Golden boys, 22lr and 22mag, consecutive numbers never fired, and two blued Henry's that I have shot the heck out of. Like said earlier, you can load shorts, lr and longs and it doesn't care if all three types are mixed and matched in the tube, it'll sort 'em through, shoot 'em, and spit 'em out!
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

My first .22lr was a Win 9422. Still have it, still works just as good as the day it was brought home. I got it used, but could hardly tell it. Had it 16 yrs now, I'd hate to guess how many rounds have been through it, 0 problems.
  6. Win73

Win73 New Member

The 9422 was a good one too. To bad it isn't still made.
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

In order Marlin 39 A, Winchester 9422, and the Henry, nuff said LOL:D
  8. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My vote would be the BL-22.Mine has seen more abuse than any firearm should have to go through.It's even been driven over.it's 33years old and after all that it still shoots like it did when new.I especially like the short lever throw.However, it was made in Japan not USA made. Just my .02 worth. Joe
  9. Tom

Tom Member

My first gun was a Marlin 39A that I got in 1963. Shortly after I retired 5 years ago I found a very nice ’69 vintage 39A Mountie. Both are great guns. My most recent gun is a ’72 vintage Winchester 9422. I haven’t had the chance to shoot it much yet, but it seems to be pretty good as well. I don’t have the little Browning .22 lever gun or a Henry, so I don’t know about them.

Photo of 39A Mountie and 9422

Attached Files:

10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

My 39A is smooth, lever-wise, but it has not been chambering (any brand of) shells. Bought it new less than a year ago. They're not all perfect, apparently.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This could easily be like the question which is best a Ford or a Chevy. If the Winchester was still in production it would get my vote. The Marlin is hard to beat. One feature with the Browning that moves it high on the list is the fact that the trigger comes down with the lever when cocking. I really like that. Have no experience with the Henry.
  12. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 Member

I have a Henry H001T that is as smooth and accurate as anyone could ask. I also have a Win 9422M -- and it's the gold standard in my book. In fact, I intend to acquire another 9422 when finances permit.
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 39a whoops everything on the market...it's hard to find anything else THAT precise in a lever-action.

But as a close second, I'd look at a Mossberg 464.

If I couldn't get either of those, a Henry GoldenBoy.

I am partial to the older Marlin 39's, before they put in the crossbolt safety.
  14. illinoisjimmy

illinoisjimmy New Member

I just came into a Marlin golden 39A mountie. I am looking at taking the piece apart to give it a good cleaning. The previous owner never cleaned it. Looking for a in depth instruction manual or a video? Can anyone help?
  15. Win73

Win73 New Member

Taking it apart is a snap. Just cock the hammer and unscrew the big screw head on the right side. It holds the two halves of the receiver together. You don't have to remove it completely, just get it out of the left half of the receiver. Then put the right side of the receiver against your leg with one hand around the barrel and the other around the stock and push. It will separate into two pieces. Then you can slide the bolt out of the left side of the receiver. That's all the disassembly you need to do.

It probably took me longer to write it than it will take you to do it.